Re: History of "unofficial VisualCLX patches"?

2004-02-08 08:22:46 AM
kylix2
David Cornelius wrote:
just saw a couple of threads talking about updates to the "unofficial VisualCLX
patches". As I looked at the site, the number of reported bugs alarmed me.

Are there that many glaring problems with what ships from Borland? I know
they're deeply involved with .NET and there's no new versions slated for 2004,
but they would certainly fix bugs and support the current version, wouldn't
they?
Wouldn't they?
Are these bugs relegated to very old or very new versions of Linux or
"unsupported" distributions?
There is a patch which is addressing the "New Linux distro" issue.
And there is a patch for Kylix VisualCLX.
I've read several of the bug fixes and most seem
to be things that would be seldom encountered or at least be cleared when the
program exists.
It depends of the type of application you are doing. Kylix is fine
product and has a lot of good properties. But for some type of
application it become more of a burden than a RAD and the unofficial
patches as well other third party products helps tremendously in this
respect.

I'm just wondering how stable Kylix is and how concerned I should be if I start
developing applications for deployment. Do many people rely on these
"unofficial patches" for professional deployment?
Why not? This unofficial patches are fixing about 20 memory leaks and
in excess of 140 other issues... are they perfect ?.. of course not.
Is any software free of bugs and does not need improvement? The thing
is that when I have reported some misbehavior of the TDBGrid in
conjunction with QThemed the problem was fixed in days, and not only
fixed but the whole system received a completely new and much faster
stretching algorithm, so in result of this and many other unexpected
improvements, the whole application become much more responsive. Kylix
applications with this patches work faster, look better, and are more
stable.
If you planing to deploy a commercial product using this unofficial
patches it would be wise to visit not only the downloads, but also the
donation link. ;-)))
juliusz
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer
www.superobject.com/installmade/
www.superobject.com/imoe/download.html

Re:Re: History of "unofficial VisualCLX patches"?

I've just been getting into Kylix recently and I have version 3 professional. I
just saw a couple of threads talking about updates to the "unofficial VisualCLX
patches". As I looked at the site, the number of reported bugs alarmed me.
Are there that many glaring problems with what ships from Borland? I know
they're deeply involved with .NET and there's no new versions slated for 2004,
but they would certainly fix bugs and support the current version, wouldn't
they? Are these bugs relegated to very old or very new versions of Linux or
"unsupported" distributions? I've read several of the bug fixes and most seem
to be things that would be seldom encountered or at least be cleared when the
program exists. There are several of these types of issues in the Windows VCL
as well, from what I've heard.
I'm just wondering how stable Kylix is and how concerned I should be if I start
developing applications for deployment. Do many people rely on these
"unofficial patches" for professional deployment?
Regards,
David Cornelius
CorneliusConcepts.com

Re:Re: History of "unofficial VisualCLX patches"?

DC>I've just been getting into Kylix recently and I have version 3
DC>professional. I just saw a couple of threads talking about updates
DC>to the "unofficial VisualCLX patches". As I looked at the site, the
DC>number of reported bugs alarmed me.
Actually you should be alarmed before buying Kylix. :-)
DC>Are there that many glaring problems with what ships from Borland?
Yes. Look to qc.borland.com. You may find there plenty of bugreports
about Kylix.
DC>I know they're deeply involved with .NET and there's no new versions
DC>slated for 2004, but they would certainly fix bugs and support the
DC>current version, wouldn't they?
They stated - there will be no updates for Kylix in the 2004. Updates mean -
bugfixes and new features.
DC>Are these bugs relegated to very old or very new versions of Linux or
DC>"unsupported" distributions?
Many bugs related to all distributions and Kylix versions.
DC>I've read several of the bug fixes and
DC>most seem to be things that would be seldom encountered or at least be
DC>cleared when the program exists. There are several of these types of
DC>issues in the Windows VCL as well, from what I've heard.
DC>I'm just wondering how stable Kylix is and how concerned I should be
DC>if I start developing applications for deployment. Do many people
DC>rely on these "unofficial patches" for professional deployment?
Personally i do not use "unofficial patches" because i workarounded all
problems encountered by me. Now i'm don't use Kylix in new development
projects, only for support existing. I'm not recommend to anyone to use
Kylix for commercial development. It may be viable as tool for in-house
development.
DC>Regards,
DC>David Cornelius CorneliusConcepts.com
---
Andrew V. Fionik, Papillon Systems, Unix Programmers Group
For reply use "ender" instead of "fionika" in e-mail.

{smallsort}

David Cornelius wrote:
[...]

borland sell a product with a lot of bug and it don't resolve it...
forget kylix, go to java
--
Borland rulez pages.infinit.net/borland