Linux Mandrake 10.0

2004-04-04 06:17:30 AM
kylix1
Anyone tried running Kylix 3 on the new Mandrake distro? Install goes fine
and I can bring up the both Delphi and C++ ide's fine. However, when I try
to run even the default "Form 1" project, the ide just hangs. On the C++
side, I get a compiler error telling me the GNU compiler is either too old
or missing. I tried running Andreas Hausladen's patches as well (which run
fine on Mandrake 9.1) and these don't work either.
Admittedly, I'm a Linux newbie who is just poking around to see if Linux
might be something I want to venture into in the future, but all the
compatibility issues are really frustrating. I mean, I can still run
Borland C++ 5.0 and some 16-bit programs under Windows XP. Not sure why
Linux is such a different animal. Maybe the problem is just with K3 which
would be very disappointing.

Re:Linux Mandrake 10.0

Chief wrote:
Linux is such a different animal. Maybe the problem is just with K3 which
would be very disappointing.
Mandrake 10 Community is merely a public beta.
Martin

Re:Linux Mandrake 10.0

Chief wrote:
[...]

I would try using the unoffical packages first. If that doesn't work, I am
clueless.
Kylix unfortunately, is woven around a QT library and glibs that are at
least 4-5 versions old now. Sad state of affairs but like it or not, that
is the way it is.
No one knows if Borland is ever going to address these real show stoppers or
just drop Kylix altogether. If I were to bet on it, I would say the latter
rather than the former.

{smallsort}

Re:Linux Mandrake 10.0

pnichols wrote:
No one knows if Borland is ever going to address these real show stoppers or
just drop Kylix altogether. If I were to bet on it, I would say the latter
rather than the former.
I'm using Lazarus.
Martin

Re:Linux Mandrake 10.0

neil wrote:
Is there any database access for Lazarus yet?
there are some DB controls on the pallette,
but as I don't use DBs I haven't had a closer look.
Martin

Re:Linux Mandrake 10.0

In article <406f649a$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Martin.Waldenburg@T-
Online.de says...
pnichols wrote:
>No one knows if Borland is ever going to address these real show stoppers or
>just drop Kylix altogether. If I were to bet on it, I would say the latter
>rather than the former.

I'm using Lazarus.

Martin Waldenburg schrieb:

neil wrote:
>Is there any database access for Lazarus yet?

there are some DB controls on the pallette,
but as I don't use DBs I haven't had a closer look.

Martin
A friend of mine wants to use Lazarus with an Advantage Database Server.
He asked Advantage and they said, it _might_ be possible to port the
server access components they provide (in source code) for Kylix.
Any comments ?

Re:Linux Mandrake 10.0

Michael Schnell wrote:
A friend of mine wants to use Lazarus with an Advantage Database Server.
He asked Advantage and they said, it _might_ be possible to port the
server access components they provide (in source code) for Kylix.

Any comments ?
The Delphi compatibility of the used FPC version is quite high.
It _might_ work.
Martin

Re:Linux Mandrake 10.0

Martin Waldenburg schrieb:

Michael Schnell wrote:
>A friend of mine wants to use Lazarus with an Advantage Database Server.
>He asked Advantage and they said, it _might_ be possible to port the
>server access components they provide (in source code) for Kylix.
>
>Any comments ?

The Delphi compatibility of the used FPC version is quite high.
It _might_ work.

I suppose the DB Server is accessed via TCP/IP. I don't know what TCP/IP
access methods are used in that component. What does Lazarus provide on
Linux ?
-Michael

Re:Linux Mandrake 10.0

Chief wrote:
Anyone tried running Kylix 3 on the new Mandrake distro? Install goe fine
and I can bring up the both Delphi and C++ ide's fine. However, when try
to run even the default "Form 1" project, the ide just hangs. On the C++
side, I get a compiler error telling me the GNU compiler is either too old
or missing. I tried running Andreas Hausladen's patches as well (which
run fine on Mandrake 9.1) and these don't work either.
The problem is due to the 2.6 kernel. Either run a old 2.4.xx kernel,
or uncheck the "Integrated debugging" checkbox, or issue this command
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
before
startdelphi
Dom