Problems with CrossKylix

2005-12-13 04:11:37 AM
kylix2
Hi,
Just wanted to report this.
I have been using CrossKylix for a few weeks now and "most of the time"
it works just incredible. Thanks for such a great tool.
The only problem I have been having is with saving my projects. I have
noticed sometimes CrossKylix does not pickup changes I have made to the
source unless I actually exit out of Delphi 2005. I have tested this by
making errors on purpose, saving the code and then compiling, it does
not catch the error, then I restart the IDE and compile and then the
error is caught. It almost seems like CK is saving to a temp file that
is not getting updated.
I also have noticed that I will for some reason end up with two open
copies of the unit I am working on.
Thanks,
Tony

Re:Problems with CrossKylix

The only problem I have been having is with saving my projects. I have
noticed sometimes CrossKylix does not pickup changes I have made to the
source unless I actually exit out of Delphi 2005. I have tested this by
making errors on purpose, saving the code and then compiling, it does
not catch the error, then I restart the IDE and compile and then the
error is caught. It almost seems like CK is saving to a temp file that
is not getting updated.
CK does not do that. It does not use the Delphi editor buffer at all, but
works directly with files on disk. I also haven't seen this issue at all,
however I use Delphi 6 for CK.
Sorry, I don't have an explanation, and this sounds most likely like a
Delphi 2005 bug. Maybe you can track it down using filemon from sysinternals,
to see all write accesses to the file by Delphi and all read accesses by
CK.
I also have noticed that I will for some reason end up with two open
copies of the unit I am working on.
This is something I've also seen a few times already. For me this sometimes
happens if I click on a CK message in the message pane, and the IDE should
take me to the unit. For a reason unknown to me, Delphi doesn't seem to notice
it already has that unit open (or, in other words, does not notice that the
unit it already has open has the exact same absolute path as the maybe
relative given path by CK).
This is something on my to-do-list for investigation. However I'm really
busy with other things these days, so it will probably take a while.
Simon

Re:Problems with CrossKylix

No problem Simon, they are mostly small issues anyway.
Thanks for the info.
What about a updated install for Delphi 2006?
Tony

This is something on my to-do-list for investigation. However I'm really
busy with other things these days, so it will probably take a while.

Simon

{smallsort}

Re:Problems with CrossKylix

Hi Simon,
This is something I've also seen a few times already. For me this sometimes
happens if I click on a CK message in the message pane, and the IDE should
take me to the unit. For a reason unknown to me, Delphi doesn't seem to notice
it already has that unit open (or, in other words, does not notice that the
unit it already has open has the exact same absolute path as the maybe
relative given path by CK).
Although I've not experienced this myself, perhaps this has to do with
using long vs. short filenames in paths of the files? I noticed how
CrossKylix itself is sometimes using a short filename (like
C:\PROGRA~1\) instead of a long one. It could just be that Delphi
doesn't "know" that these two representations are the same... Something
worthy to check out, I think...
Simon
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Blog: www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: drbob42.com/weblog.xml

Re:Problems with CrossKylix

Hi Tony,
What about a updated install for Delphi 2006?
Updated install? Just recompile the ideplugin package and installi tin
Delphi 2006. That's it. Unless I'm missing something?
The only problem I'm seeing is that if you place the recompiled package
in the default c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Borland
Studio Projects\Bpl directory then you cannot have a version here for
Delphi 2005 as well as Delphi 2006 at the same time. So I've just moved
over to Delphi 2006 all the way: recompiled the design package for
CrossKylix with Delphi 2006, and no longer use it from Delphi 2005.
Note that this is just a generic problem: the fact that both Delphi 2005
and Delphi 2006 use the same c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My
Documents\Borland Studio Projects\Bpl directory to store compiled
packages by default. Using different directories to begin with will
solve that little problem as well.
Tony