Kylix 4.0?

2006-06-13 03:16:02 PM
kylix1
Not to start a flaming war but cant borland see that there is still a lot of
interest in kylix long after they have ditched it. As they dont want to
continue why not release the make kylix open source. My feelings on this is
that as borland got into bed with microsoft, ms didnt want linux as
competion and kylix made it a threat. Hence proving borland is the greatest
and should not be bullied into anything.
Now dont get me wrong i am not against windows but OMG its a nightmare
having to support it, Linux u install and run with it pretty much out of the
box. Windows u need all sort of anti virus / anti spam etc to make it
secure. Yea yea i know ppl will say linux has it problems. but u will have
to agree not as many security problems as windows. any way this is not about
linux vs windows and anyone who comments of the remarks in this paragraph is
just making a fool of themselves.
The main issue here is when will borland realise that kylix is not dead long
live kylix.....

Re:Kylix 4.0?

On 2006-06-13, Deano < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
The main issue here is when will borland realise that kylix is not dead long
live kylix.....
I heard some rumours that on a recent DevCo convention (devco partner
comfort gathering?) in Australia there were some hints about new DevCo plans
for Linux. There were no details.
Speculation (outside Borland) afterwards seemed to agree that a
compile_for_linux persona in BDS was more likely than a new Kylix though.
And we just noted CrossKylix has been awfully silent the last half year, and
didn't respond to obvious cues. Maybe Borland struck a deal with the author,
and he avoids the NGs because of the NDA's ? :_)
Anyway, it could of course also be that he is too busy with RL.

Re:Kylix 4.0?

On 2006-06-13, Deano < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>The main issue here is when will borland realise that kylix is not dead long
>live kylix.....

I heard some rumours that on a recent DevCo convention (devco partner
comfort gathering?) in Australia there were some hints about new DevCo plans
for Linux. There were no details.

Speculation (outside Borland) afterwards seemed to agree that a
compile_for_linux persona in BDS was more likely than a new Kylix though.

And we just noted CrossKylix has been awfully silent the last half year, and
didn't respond to obvious cues. Maybe Borland struck a deal with the author,
and he avoids the NGs because of the NDA's ? :_)

Anyway, it could of course also be that he is too busy with RL.
the same author who wrote CrossFPC ? ;-)

{smallsort}

Re:Kylix 4.0?

On 2006-06-13, Rod < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>Speculation (outside Borland) afterwards seemed to agree that a
>compile_for_linux persona in BDS was more likely than a new Kylix though.
>
>And we just noted CrossKylix has been awfully silent the last half year, and
>didn't respond to obvious cues. Maybe Borland struck a deal with the author,
>and he avoids the NGs because of the NDA's ? :_)
>
>Anyway, it could of course also be that he is too busy with RL.

the same author who wrote CrossFPC ? ;-)
Yes, but that seems to have stalled too.

Re:Kylix 4.0?

Well if they are paying him to do commercial work, he would have to stop
on the open source version.

--
Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager

Re:Kylix 4.0?

On 2006-06-13, Thomas Miller < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Well if they are paying him to do commercial work, he would have to stop
on the open source version.
Likely that that is part of the deal then yes. Not required of course (it's
all a matter of negotatiations), but with major US corporations pretty
standard.
OTOH I assume it would be a good thing for Simon, so you can't blame him.
(would be crosskylix btw, FPC is protected by GPL). I'd be the first to
congratulate him.
_Note_ that this is all still pure speculation, just opportunistically
connecting two very random facts (hint in Australia that something Lunix
related is coming up, and Simon's relative silence)

Re:Kylix 4.0?

>Well if they are paying him to do commercial work, he would have to stop
>on the open source version.

Likely that that is part of the deal then yes. Not required of course (it's
all a matter of negotatiations), but with major US corporations pretty
standard.

OTOH I assume it would be a good thing for Simon, so you can't blame him.
(would be crosskylix btw, FPC is protected by GPL). I'd be the first to
congratulate him.

_Note_ that this is all still pure speculation, just opportunistically
connecting two very random facts (hint in Australia that something Lunix
related is coming up, and Simon's relative silence)
Nice speculation ;)
No, Borland didn't hire me. CrossKylix is silent because it simply works
and there is no urge to put out an updated version really. I'm still supporting
it by answering emails on it on a daily basis.
I'll also try to get back to CrossFPC. I'm currently hireing so hopefully I'll
soon have some time for it again.
Simon

Re:Kylix 4.0?

Simon Kissel wrote:

No, Borland didn't hire me. CrossKylix is silent because it simply works
and there is no urge to put out an updated version really. I'm still supporting
it by answering emails on it on a daily basis.

I'll also try to get back to CrossFPC. I'm currently hireing so hopefully I'll
soon have some time for it again.

Thanks Simon, That is great news !
Siegs

Re:Kylix 4.0?

Deano schrubte am Dienstag, 13. Juni 2006 09:16:
Not to start a flaming war but cant borland see that there is still a lot
of interest in kylix long after they have ditched it.
A lot of interest? I didnt see a lot, i see some people which are
disappointed about the zero-backup of Borland to their customers. Look at
the numbers of messages in all kylix-newsgroups related to the numbers of
only one C++-Newsgroup. There are a lot of people, not here.
regards, Jens
--
Die oben angegebene Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Wenn direkter
Mailkontakt gewŁnscht wird, bitte spamtrap gegen jens<punkt>nixdorf

Re:Kylix 4.0?

I'll also try to get back to CrossFPC. I'm currently hireing so hopefully I'll
soon have some time for it again.
Great !
Thanks a lot !
-Michael

Re:Kylix 4.0?

Perhaps Kylix 4.0 will or should be Delphi for Linux. First come out
with a version that can be used to compile server based apps. Then focus on
Desktop with a better VCL like set of classes.
C/C++ can come later or at least it can be included but focus should be on
Delphi first to get the IDE and runtime perfected to make it easier to
write, debug and deliver linux gui applications.
-Lou