Kylix & Mono

2004-08-03 04:40:46 PM
kylix2
Is is posible to write an application in delphi 8 for .net ,port it into Kylix & run under mono for linux
Venkatesh

Re:Kylix & Mono

Venkatesh VT wrote:
Is is posible to write an application in delphi 8 for .net ,port it into
Kylix & run under mono for linux
No. Kylix is a native compiler. But if you only use the FCL assemblies in
Delphi 8 (or you use the (unofficial) Delphi 8 mono patch from
unvclx.sourceforge.net/other/MonoPatch.zip for SysUtils and
Classes) then your application meight work under Mono.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Kylix & Mono

Is is posible to write an application in delphi 8 for .net ,port it into Kylix & run under mono for linux
Venkatesh
Kylix has nothing to do in that game.
I read that it _is_possible_ to write write an application in delphi 8
for .net and run the assembly D8 outputs in Mono under Linux. But AFAIK,
there are many things D8 might include that are not (yet) supported by
Mono, so if you don't take care _a_lot_, your application will not run.
Hopefully the Mono group some day will extend their product so that a
decent D8 created assembly will run in that framework, and hopefully
Borland will not break this in some future update, implementing things
the Mono version available at that time does not support.
-Michael

{smallsort}

Re:Kylix & Mono

Michael Schnell wrote:
I read that it _is_possible_ to write write an application in delphi 8
for .net and run the assembly D8 outputs in Mono under Linux.
Well, it is true:
www.techtips.com.br/images/wxNet2.PNG
I've written a BDN article about it, and it's currently waiting on the
queue.
--
Leonel
www.techtips.com.br

Re:Kylix & Mono

I've written a BDN article about it, and it's currently waiting on the
queue.
Is it in English ?
If yes, please keep us posted, when we are able to read it online in
some way (and/or send it to me privately if possible).
Thanks, Michael

Re:Kylix & Mono

Michael Schnell wrote:
Is it in English ?
Yes. I've been thinking about translating it to portuguese and posting
it on my homepage. It proably won't help you much, though. :)
If yes, please keep us posted, when we are able to read it online in
some way (and/or send it to me privately if possible).
It should appear on BDN homepage when approved, and announced by BDN rss
feeds. I'll try to post a note here when it's out.
--
Leonel
www.techtips.com.br

Re:Kylix & Mono

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, togniolli.@.techtips.com.br
says...
Well, it is true:
www.techtips.com.br/images/wxNet2.PNG
Impressive...!
Are those the bindings from here: wxnet.sourceforge.net/ ?
I've written a BDN article about it, and it's currently waiting on the
queue.
Looking forward to it - I'll bet you've managed to help us past a lot of
strange stumbling blocks.
Obrigado :)
-- Ritchie Annand
Senior Software Architect
Malibu Software & Engineering Ltd.
Business: www.malibugroup.com
Personal: nimble.nimblebrain.net
Wiki: wiki.nimblebrain.net

Re:Kylix & Mono

Ritchie Annand wrote:
Impressive...!

Are those the bindings from here: wxnet.sourceforge.net/ ?
Yes.
Looking forward to it - I'll bet you've managed to help us past a lot of
strange stumbling blocks.
Well, it's not too hard actually. Look for the source of the hello world
application for the article in codecentral, under my name. The one in
the screenshot is a little more advanced, but it only uses some
different classes from wx.net for the text entry and html control plus
the sockets classes from .net/mono framework.
Nothing a .Net programmer can't handle. :)
Obrigado :)
De nada.
--
Leonel