More INFO Re: Kylix built apps with RH Fedora Core 2

2004-09-21 04:00:54 AM
kylix1
I've seen the issue with the virtual addressing mentioned before, but I'm
not so sure this the cause. Will try it. In the mean time here's some more
information on the problem that a colleague and I found via some debugging:
When trying to start up our apps under FC 2.6.8-1.521 kernel I get an almost
immediate segfault. This segfault (SIGSEGV) seems to be coming from a call
to IntfCopy in System.pas. This should only generate an error message, but
instead it seems to crash on RaiseSignalException+25.
Does this lead to any further thoughts on fixes? All help/suggestions are
appreciated.
"Corwin Burgess" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Wendy Carson wrote:
>Just curious if anyone had found a way to get their Kylix built
applications
>to work under the latest Kernel for Fedora Core 2? Our applications work
>fine with the older Kernel, but not with the newest.
>
>It seems like the problem may be happening with the libpthread? But this
>might not be correct. Any suggestions/thoughts appreciated. I still need
>work under RH 7.2, etc so any solution must allow me to not lose this.
>
>Thanks!

I've found that my K3 binaries won't run on Fedora Core 2 using
kernel-2.6.8-1.521 without
using one of the solutions that is mentioned at this link.

fedoranews.org/updates/FEDORA-2004-267.shtml

One user suggested that the best solution would be to add to
/etc/rc.d/rc.local the following:

if [ `uname -r` = "2.6.8-1.521" ]; then
echo 1>/proc/sys/vm/legacy_va_layout
fi

Of course this is a shotgun approach and would have to be changed if the
next kernel has
the same problem. If this suggestion leads you to a better idea or fix
then let us know.

Corwin

Re:More INFO Re: Kylix built apps with RH Fedora Core 2

FWIW, we're seeing the same problem with simple K3 console apps on FC2. The
legacy_va_layout fix worked for us.
Graham
Graham Wideman
Visio 2003 Developer's Survival Pack
Visio 2002 Developer's Survival Pack
diagramantics.com
"Wendy Carson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I've seen the issue with the virtual addressing mentioned before, but I'm
not so sure this the cause. Will try it. In the mean time here's some more
information on the problem that a colleague and I found via some
debugging:

When trying to start up our apps under FC 2.6.8-1.521 kernel I get an
almost
immediate segfault. This segfault (SIGSEGV) seems to be coming from a call
to IntfCopy in System.pas. This should only generate an error message, but
instead it seems to crash on RaiseSignalException+25.

Does this lead to any further thoughts on fixes? All help/suggestions are
appreciated.

Re:More INFO Re: Kylix built apps with RH Fedora Core 2

Yay! it works!
Thanks!

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I've seen the issue with the virtual addressing mentioned before, but
I'm
>not so sure this the cause. Will try it. In the mean time here's some
more
>information on the problem that a colleague and I found via some
debugging:

>When trying to start up our apps under FC 2.6.8-1.521 kernel I get an
almost
>immediate segfault. This segfault (SIGSEGV) seems to be coming from a
call
>to IntfCopy in System.pas. This should only generate an error message,
but
>instead it seems to crash on RaiseSignalException+25.
>
>Does this lead to any further thoughts on fixes? All help/suggestions
are
>appreciated.

{smallsort}

Re:More INFO Re: Kylix built apps with RH Fedora Core 2

I've seen the issue with the virtual addressing mentioned before, but I'm
not so sure this the cause. Will try it. In the mean time here's some more
information on the problem that a colleague and I found via some debugging:

When trying to start up our apps under FC 2.6.8-1.521 kernel I get an almost
immediate segfault. This segfault (SIGSEGV) seems to be coming from a call
to IntfCopy in System.pas. This should only generate an error message, but
instead it seems to crash on RaiseSignalException+25.

Does this lead to any further thoughts on fixes? All help/suggestions are
appreciated.
Thanks for letting us know this - this is affecting quite a few of our customers.
I've spent some time during the last 2 days to find out what's going on, and have
now written a temporary fix. See seperate post in a minute.
Simon