Free Pascal 2.0 is released !!!

2005-05-16 06:39:55 PM
kylix1
Free Pascal 2.0 is released!
www.freepascal.org/
Hard times for Borland...

Re:Free Pascal 2.0 is released !!!

Max wrote:
Free Pascal 2.0 is released!
www.freepascal.org/

Hard times for Borland...

I don't know about that,
I compiled the following on Delphi 7 and on Free Pascal
program junk;
begin
writeln('dfdfdf');
end.
On Delphi 7 the exe was 16k
on Free Pascal it was 103k
Just glancing through the compiler options I could not find any thing that would make it smaller,
Debugging was off etc.
--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

"tony" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Max wrote:
>Free Pascal 2.0 is released!
>www.freepascal.org/
>
>Hard times for Borland...

I don't know about that,
I compiled the following on Delphi 7 and on Free Pascal

program junk;
begin
writeln('dfdfdf');
end.

On Delphi 7 the exe was 16k
on Free Pascal it was 103k

Just glancing through the compiler options I could not find any thing that
would make it smaller,
Debugging was off etc.
I read through the docs and at one point they say there's a high
compatiblity with TP 7 (whoopee!) and at another point they say it's
compatible with Delphi 4. I couldn't find a breakdown of what is compatible
and what is not. Am I missing it?
Dan

{smallsort}

On 2005-05-16, Dan Palley < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>Just glancing through the compiler options I could not find any thing that
>would make it smaller,
>Debugging was off etc.

I read through the docs and at one point they say there's a high
compatiblity with TP 7 (whoopee!) and at another point they say it's
compatible with Delphi 4. I couldn't find a breakdown of what is compatible
and what is not. Am I missing it?
Both, since the compiler has multiple modi. TP7 and D6-7 are currently the
targets. Delphi compat is not complete yet, packages and OLE support are the
most important missing parts, together with implements style delegation.

tony wrote:
Max wrote:

>Free Pascal 2.0 is released!
>www.freepascal.org/
I compiled the following on Delphi 7 and on Free Pascal

program junk;
begin
writeln('dfdfdf');
end.

On Delphi 7 the exe was 16k
on Free Pascal it was 103k
set Path=C:\Lazarus\pp\bin\win32\
strip ExeName.exe
upx ExeName.exe
wait till you see how big the GUI apps can become ... and how much they shrink.
cheers,
Mat

Re:Free Pascal 2.0 is released !!!

Not sure what strip does, but upx is a exe compressor, and regular
delphi responds to these very well also. I have used aspack and it
shrinks GUI apps a lot.

set Path=C:\Lazarus\pp\bin\win32\
strip ExeName.exe
upx ExeName.exe

Re:Free Pascal 2.0 is released !!!

Hi!
Hard times for Borland...
The funny thing about this. Borland does not consider most
of the features of FreePascal as relevant to Delphi
developers...
(except maybe for 64bit support).
Regards!
Atmapuri

Re:Free Pascal 2.0 is released !!!

"Atmapuri" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Hi!

>Hard times for Borland...

The funny thing about this. Borland does not consider most
of the features of FreePascal as relevant to Delphi
developers...

(except maybe for 64bit support).

I think there is some misunderstanding. The goal of FPC isn't to compete with Delphi/Kylix but to fill the gaps Delphi/Kylix doesn't cover so object pascal can stand against C, C++, C# etc. Having a good commercial compiler and a good oss compiler is always nice for a language.

On 2005-05-17, tony < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Not sure what strip does, but upx is a exe compressor, and regular
delphi responds to these very well also. I have used aspack and it
shrinks GUI apps a lot.
strip removes debuginfo.

Re:Free Pascal 2.0 is released !!!

So the options in the IDE ({*word*99}py dos one) and Lazarus do absolutely
nothing then? I don't have debug info turned on, so there should be
none in the exe. Guess FPC needs alot more work then.
On 2005-05-17, tony < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>Not sure what strip does, but upx is a exe compressor, and regular
>delphi responds to these very well also. I have used aspack and it
>shrinks GUI apps a lot.

strip removes debuginfo.

tony wrote:
So the options in the IDE ({*word*99}py dos one) and Lazarus do absolutely
nothing then? I don't have debug info turned on, so there should be
none in the exe. Guess FPC needs alot more work then.

Why just dont put your hands there and stop talking?

On 2005-05-17, tony < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
So the options in the IDE ({*word*99}py dos one) and Lazarus do absolutely
nothing then? I don't have debug info turned on, so there should be
none in the exe. Guess FPC needs alot more work then.
Nope, is a problem in the GNU linker, not FPC code.

Re:Free Pascal 2.0 is released !!!

Why don't you stop being a jag off......German..

tony wrote:
Why don't you stop being a jag off......German..

>Why just dont put your hands there and stop talking?
No, really. I only see your critical attitude (crpay dos ide?)
Start helping developers if you want some better.

Re:Free Pascal 2.0 is released !!!

Listen...I just asked a question and I don't appreciate your little comment, if you don't like being called a jag or a jerk
stop making such stupid posts.
Now I know you have been banned from other groups. I won't have any trouble filing a complaint...