Re: Is there a future for Kylix? [from Borland, that is...]

2004-10-29 04:50:22 AM
kylix2
www.realbasic.com/

Re:Re: Is there a future for Kylix? [from Borland, that is...]

Are you using this? It does look pretty cool as a cross platform tool.
Is it stable?
"Mike Margerum" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Re:Re: Is there a future for Kylix? [from Borland, that is...]

In short - N O. The future of Kylix is bleak at the very best. The
protestations to the contrary sound much like the ol' Monty Python skit
about the "dead" parrot not being dead.

{smallsort}

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>www.realbasic.com/

the deal killers (for me) are price (stuff I do for myself is at the
hobbyist level, not enterprise development :) ) and NO linux IDE (so far as
I can tell)
Now, item 1 can easily change should someone ask me to write something for
them [and pay me as appropriate], however I don't see any point in
DEVELOPING from a windows platform just to make a linux executable -- at
that point I might as well write it in VB 5 or 6 [which I have] and hope it
runs under wine :)

Re:Re: Is there a future for Kylix? [from Borland, that is...]

however I don't see any point in
DEVELOPING from a windows platform just to make a linux executable
It's a great convenience if you write cross-platform applications.
-- at
that point I might as well write it in VB 5 or 6 [which I have] and hope
it
runs under wine :)
That would be silly given how easy it is to create a native linux app.
Dean

On 2004-11-07, Dean < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>however I don't see any point in
>DEVELOPING from a windows platform just to make a linux executable

It's a great convenience if you write cross-platform applications.
And if you are windows based of course. Otherwise you'd want the other
way around :)
However I would want to have a linux IDE anyway, since I can then do
straight full GUI debugging, even if I would work from Windows most of the
time.

Re:Re: Is there a future for Kylix? [from Borland, that is...]

Simon Kissel wrote:
In case you didn't see it yet, CrossKylix is available
(crosskylix.untergrund.net) and is tightly integrated with the
Community Project. This gives you the choice to develop on Windows, while
also deploying to Linux.
This doesn't help us much if the Windows version of Delphi
no longer contains CLX.
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(please remove the ".net" from my e-mail address.