Board index » kylix » Borland patent stops Wine!

Borland patent stops Wine!


2005-05-17 08:21:31 PM
kylix2
Now this is kinda funny...
Kylix relies on Wine and now a Borland Patent is halting some of it's
development!!! ???
www.builderau.com.au/program/work/0,39024650,39188400,00.htm
Go on Borland release these Patents! You are shooting yourself in the foot!
Siegs
 
 

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

See
blogs.borland.com/dcc/archive/2005/05/12/4294.aspx
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen
 

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

Quote
Now this is kinda funny...

Kylix relies on Wine and now a Borland Patent is halting some of it's
development!!! ???

www.builderau.com.au/program/work/0,39024650,39188400,00.htm

Go on Borland release these Patents! You are shooting yourself in the foot!
This has been going through delphi.non-technical already. This is BULLSHIT.
Borland does hold a patent on SEH, yes. And Software Patents suck, yes.
But that's about it. Borland has not threatend Wine. Borland did not state
anything along the lines of "Wine may not use SEH because we have it
patented". In fact, Borland didn't say anything about it, because
Borland wasn't even asked.
Danny Thorpe wrote a comment on this last week already:
blogs.borland.com/dcc/archive/2005/05/12/4294.aspx
There are a lot of things one could complain about how Borland handles
Kylix/Linux. This isn't one of them.
Unless Borland really threatens or sues some Open Source project (and
history shows they've never done that), this looks like a non-issue to me.
Simon
 

{smallsort}

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

Simon Kissel wrote:
Quote

This has been going through delphi.non-technical already. This is BULLSHIT.
I don't think it is until Borland publically states it's policy towards
OSS for it's patents.
..
Quote
There are a lot of things one could complain about how Borland handles
Kylix/Linux. This isn't one of them.
it's more serious than that..
Quote
Unless Borland really threatens or sues some Open Source project (and
history shows they've never done that), this looks like a non-issue to me.
..
Wait until a 'Mr Mc Bride' takes over at Borland - hope never! but
hypothetically if such an individual gets hold of those patents, would
you have used them in your OSS software? Borland may have good integrity
now, but a lot can happen in the future..a complete unknown thus the
fear at the moment. What we know at the moment is that Kylix uses wine
and wine does not want to implement a feature due to the above mentioned
fear. Perhaps Borland should indemnify Wine?
siegs
 

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

Quote
Simon Kissel wrote:
>
>This has been going through delphi.non-technical already. This is BULLSHIT.

I don't think it is until Borland publically states it's policy towards
OSS for it's patents.
It is. Have a look at the subject line of your posting. It's simply not true
and bullshit. Wine isn't stopped.
Quote
>Unless Borland really threatens or sues some Open Source project (and
>history shows they've never done that), this looks like a non-issue to me.
..

Wait until a 'Mr Mc Bride' takes over at Borland - hope never! but
hypothetically if such an individual gets hold of those patents, would
If that happens, Borland will start sueing their own customers. And nobody
who currently is a Borland customer would stay.
This is completely hypothetical. Yes, if Borland would be a mean alien
race, they might come and destroy the earth. But they are not. They
are a developer tools vendors trusted by a hell lot of developers world-wide
for decades now. And I don't see ANY sign that this might change in the
forseeable future.
Simon
 

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

Quote
anything along the lines of "Wine may not use SEH because we have it
patented". In fact, Borland didn't say anything about it, because
Borland wasn't even asked.

I'd say Borland should explicetely grant the rights to use this patent
in wine. There's not much to loose and it would shed a good light on the
company.
Remember Unisys or SCO: They look like looser companies to anyone who
knows about what they did.
 

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

SiegfriedN < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
Quote
Now this is kinda funny...

Kylix relies on Wine and now a Borland Patent is halting some of it's
development!!! ???

www.builderau.com.au/program/work/0,39024650,39188400,00.htm

Go on Borland release these Patents! You are shooting yourself in the
foot!
A good example why software patents are a bad thing.
 

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

SiegfriedN wrote:
Quote
Now this is kinda funny...

Kylix relies on Wine and now a Borland Patent is halting some of it's
development!!! ???

www.builderau.com.au/program/work/0,39024650,39188400,00.htm

I love how once someone sees the word Patent the whole world is going
to end. I also find it amazing that every open source project expects
to be able to just copy things from commerical products all the time
and then get the patents for nothing. Patents cost money, but make an
invention public which might never be known.
Everyone says how great IBM are with giving opening their patents to
eclipse and other projects. You don't think IBM has a reason to do
this. Eclipse (an open source project) has affected JBuilder sales so
why should Borland just roll over all the time (not saying or knowing
if they will or not).
SlashDot is worse than delphi.non-tech (and that is saying something!).
I stopped reading slashdot years ago (although I logged in to read some
of the comments on the article - nothing has changed).
The fact that people are claiming this patent has stopped Wine
development is a scary thought and just sensationalism.
Quote
Go on Borland release these Patents! You are shooting yourself in the
foot!
How are they shooting themselves in the foot? They paid for the patent
(not cheap), they paid the engineer. Just because people want to give
stuff away for free doesn't mean everyone has to.
--
www.jed-software.com
 

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

Andreas Prucha < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Quote
A good example why software patents are a bad thing.
Actually, this is not the case.
There are many good examples, but this is not one of them. Because
Borland has never used it to prevent anybody else from doing anything.
 

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

theo < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Quote
I'd say Borland should explicetely grant the rights to use this
patent in wine.
What about other projects? There's really no way for Borland to know
about all projects that should be treated this way.
The right way for those responsible of the wine project (and any other
project) is to contact Borland.
Quote
There's not much to loose and it would shed a good light on
the company.
Remember Unisys or SCO: They look like looser companies to anyone who
knows about what they did.
I'm not aware about what you refer to wrt Unisys. IMHO, it is unfair
to compare SCO and Borland.
 

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

Andreas Prucha wrote:
Quote
A good example why software patents are a bad thing.
A good example of how ignoring the rest of the thread is a bad thing.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
 

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

Thomas Maeder [TeamB] wrote:
[...]
Quote
>There's not much to loose and it would shed a good light on
>the company.
>Remember Unisys or SCO: They look like looser companies to anyone who
>knows about what they did.

I'm not aware about what you refer to wrt Unisys. IMHO, it is unfair
to compare SCO and Borland.
I would imagine he is talking about the patents in the GIF graphic
format, lzwf compression patent specifically. Unisys waited until
the patent was about to expire before persuing it.
It is also not unfair. Until Borland come out and say it is okay,
then neither wine nor any other project can use code which infringes
on patents due to fears of being sued in the future.
B
 

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

Thomas Maeder [TeamB] wrote:
Quote
Andreas Prucha < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>A good example why software patents are a bad thing.

Actually, this is not the case.

There are many good examples, but this is not one of them. Because
Borland has never used it to prevent anybody else from doing anything.
Which does not prevent them doing so in the future.
B
 

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

Thomas Maeder [TeamB] wrote:
Quote

There are many good examples, but this is not one of them. Because
Borland has never used it to prevent anybody else from doing anything.
huh?
What about the millions they got from suing M$? They let them do
something (iro your '..prevent anyone from doing anything..' and 'then
sued them'. I guess if you bring out a successful product that competes
with theirs, they will probably come after you.. not? That's the point
of software patents, isn't it?
Remember:
It is better for all of us to know as little as possible about software
patents.. This way you can not be sued, afaik..
It probably does not affect us (regarding Borland patents) since we use
Borland dev tools ? who knows..
siegs
 

Re:Borland patent stops Wine!

JED wrote:
Quote
SiegfriedN wrote:


>Now this is kinda funny...
>
>Kylix relies on Wine and now a Borland Patent is halting some of it's
>development!!! ???
>
>www.builderau.com.au/program/work/0,39024650,39188400,00.htm
>


I love how once someone sees the word Patent the whole world is going
to end. I also find it amazing that every open source project expects
to be able to just copy things from commerical products all the time
and then get the patents for nothing. Patents cost money, but make an
invention public which might never be known.

..
no you would get an angry response from me <g>
I want to be free to invent 100% of my time. I do not want spend 90% +
of my time and costs to look over my shoulder those hypothetical patent
I may have hypothetically infringed on. That's what it's all about..
also
you are wrong to say OSS does not invent. This is soo blatently of
target. OSS are real inventors of today. Just look at the KDE desktop -
it has soo many more unique features than XP. Where did they copy that from?
siegs