Re: what is a best platform to develop native Linux gui app?

2006-04-19 07:39:22 PM
kylix2
Terry A Haimann wrote:
I didn't say I couldn't access MySql data, I can. What I mean't is that I
can only access them as a query. Therefore I can't use any of the
data-aware components (at least in update mode,) because that requires
read/write access at the same time. With Delphi (using DAC for MySQL) I
do this all of the time, therefore I can write an app in about one quarter
the effort with Delphi as I can with Lazarus.

FPC TSQLQuery is updateable.
Have a look on MSEide+MSEgui, current snapshot, tmsesqlquery.
Based on FPC TSQLQuery, can update multitable queries by onapplyrecupdate
and onupdaterror.
mypage.bluewin.ch/msegui/
Martin

Re:Re: what is a best platform to develop native Linux gui app?

I *think* the market is much much smaller than you think it is ..
Outside of dbaware components just as an example DirectMysql has had exactly
about 3 free pascal users ...I don't think there has been any lazarus
users...
Kind regards,
Cristian Nicola
"Terry A Haimann" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I didn't say I couldn't access MySql data, I can. What I mean't is that I
can only access them as a query. Therefore I can't use any of the
data-aware components (at least in update mode,) because that requires
read/write access at the same time. With Delphi (using DAC for MySQL) I
do this all of the time, therefore I can write an app in about one quarter
the effort with Delphi as I can with Lazarus.

Now if you guys were smart, you would make some sort of a deal with one of
the companies that market MySQL components for Delphi to convert it to
Lazarus. Yes I am willing to pay a fee for such a product and I bet
others are to.

On 2006-04-19, Terry A Haimann < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

Now if you guys were smart, you would make some sort of a deal with one of
the companies that market MySQL components for Delphi to convert it to
Lazarus. Yes I am willing to pay a fee for such a product and I bet
others are to.
I'm wondering what we would actually gain by that. If you need a small term
fix, and can't wait/contribute till the components are fully developed, you
could also make them a proposal?
P.s. IMHO crucial components as standard db-access should be freely
distributable with FPC/Lazarus. I'm not anti-commercial, and there could be
a place for commercial vendors to provide components if Lazarus ever takes
off, but not for the core system.

{smallsort}