Re: 2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

2004-02-19 08:27:11 PM
kylix2
Trane Francks schrieb:

On 02/18/04 17:02 +0900, Michael Schnell wrote:

>>Where can I buy LinDVD or PowerDVD?
>
>AFAIK, e.g. it comes with Lindows.

True, but it's not sold separately.
it's not _sold_ but Lindows usually takes the parts of their
distribution from the pool of GLPed software. So once you know the name
you should be able to find it in the Internet.
If I have to use Lindows, I
might as well use Windows. Hey, that rhymes. ;^)
That would be _great_ (much more security for a price of some $50 per
site (not per PC) :-) )
Unfortunately there still is a lot of Windows Desktop Software that does
not have a decent Linux replacement. Sp the rhyme is not yet perfect.
-Michael

Re:Re: 2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

"Michael Schnell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Unfortunately there still is a lot of Windows Desktop Software that does
not have a decent Linux replacement. Sp the rhyme is not yet perfect.
"Munich is struggling with its planned migration from proprietary software
to open-source applications, according to news stories in the German press
that paint an increasingly gloomy picture of what had originally been widely
described as a shining success story for Linux. "
www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,62236,00.html
Government seems to have a natural talent for poor IT decision making.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Unfortunately there still is a lot of Windows Desktop Software that does
>not have a decent Linux replacement. Sp the rhyme is not yet perfect.

"Munich is struggling with its planned migration from proprietary software
to open-source applications, according to news stories in the German press
that paint an increasingly gloomy picture of what had originally been
widely described as a shining success story for Linux. "

www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,62236,00.html

Government seems to have a natural talent for poor IT decision making.
Yet more FUD from that "Comical Ali" wannabe, JQP, who missed out on
the most important parts.
"But Project LiMux team members said that the current problems aren't
insurmountable and aren't directly connected to the use of open-source
applications."
and
"Right now we are proceeding as planned, and we have no hints or signals
that the city counsel is regretting or reconsidering their decision to move
to Linux,"
And as for governments making poor IT decisions, quite right, most
of them use Microsoft software all over the place and just look at
how much we have to pay in taxes.
www.mailtrap.org.uk/

{smallsort}

Michael Schnell wrote:
Trane Francks schrieb:

>On 02/18/04 17:02 +0900, Michael Schnell wrote:
>
>>>Where can I buy LinDVD or PowerDVD?
>>
>>AFAIK, e.g. it comes with Lindows.
>
>True, but it's not sold separately.

it's not _sold_ but Lindows usually takes the parts of their
distribution from the pool of GLPed software. So once you know the name
you should be able to find it in the Internet.
but the above software is not GPL and is never likely to be.
>If I have to use Lindows, I
>might as well use Windows. Hey, that rhymes. ;^)

That would be _great_ (much more security for a price of some $50 per
site (not per PC) :-) )
I don't think Lindows and great security go together.
Aren't you automatically logged in as root?
www.mailtrap.org.uk/

Re:Re: 2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

"Bob { Goddard }" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news:c12hfa$1d45e7$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
And as for governments making poor IT decisions, quite right, most
of them use Microsoft software all over the place and just look at
how much we have to pay in taxes.
MS offered them a deal that was $12 million *less* than the estimated cost
of Open Source. Of course, the estimate was prior to the new found
"financial and technical problems".
By the time all is said and done, the cost will probably be 2-3 times what
was anticipated. The taxpayers of Munich will enjoy the fruits of this
decision for years to come.

JQP wrote:
"Bob { Goddard }" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news:c12hfa$1d45e7$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>And as for governments making poor IT decisions, quite right, most
>of them use Microsoft software all over the place and just look at
>how much we have to pay in taxes.

MS offered them a deal that was $12 million *less* than the estimated cost
of Open Source. Of course, the estimate was prior to the new found
"financial and technical problems".
That may be so, but what will the cost be for any additional
services not covered by the contract? How much will it cost
then when it comes to renewal? What are the costs involved
to ensure that the system is properly protected?
By the time all is said and done, the cost will probably be 2-3 times what
was anticipated. The taxpayers of Munich will enjoy the fruits of this
decision for years to come.
Yes and no doubt the final cost if they went the Microsoft route
would be 4-5 times of what was anticipated.
www.mailtrap.org.uk/

On 02/19/04 23:35 +0900, Bob { Goddard } wrote:
I don't think Lindows and great security go together.
Aren't you automatically logged in as root?
That was certainly the case when it was first released. One good
buffer overflow and you've got serious problems. :-(
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan

Re:Re: 2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,62236,00.html
A German Article on that issue says due to these problems they will see
nothing but a delay of two months.
-Michael

Re:Re: 2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

MS offered them a deal that was $12 million *less* than the estimated cost
of Open Source.
Don't you think it's scary that MS offers rebates of 50% and more once a
big customer threatens to walk away, while the millions of legal home
users and small companies still have to pay the full sum. AFAIK, there
are some countries where the MS products are also that cheap and
redistributing them elsewhere is forbidden.
-Michael

Re:Re: 2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

MS offered them a deal that was $12 million *less* than the estimated cost
of Open Source. Of course, the estimate was prior to the new found
"financial and technical problems".

But in the future cost for necessary updates for MS products will be
higher that that sum in a few years, while the migration cost is a
one-time thing and upgrades are nearly free.
-Michael

Re:Re: 2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

I don't think Lindows and great security go together.
Aren't you automatically logged in as root?

That does not sound good at all ! I don't think that Lindows prevents
you from creating non-root-users and log in as such. But I did not try
Lindows yet.
OTOH I did not at all recommend using Lindows. I only pointed out that
there is free Linux DVD player software. Same should run on other Linux
distributions as well.

On 02/20/04 18:18 +0900, Michael Schnell wrote:
OTOH I did not at all recommend using Lindows. I only pointed out that
there is free Linux DVD player software. Same should run on other Linux
distributions as well.
Of course, one can use Xine easily for unencrypted DVDs. As soon
as you need a commercial license for decoding a DVD, you have the
choice of buying Lindows or using an illegal hack. I never did
get the plug-in to work well in Xine, so I continue to boot
Windows when I want to watch a DVD.
Oh, well. Patience. A DVD player *will* come, of that I'm sure.
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan

Re:Re: 2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

Of course, one can use Xine easily for unencrypted DVDs. As soon
as you need a commercial license for decoding a DVD, you have the
choice of buying Lindows or using an illegal hack. I never did
get the plug-in to work well in Xine, so I continue to boot
Windows when I want to watch a DVD.

Oh, well. Patience. A DVD player *will* come, of that I'm sure.

So do buy Lindows (it's cheap enough, one license for a _site_ not a PC)
and use the DVD player on another distribution. I did not search, but I
do suppose that the sourcecode for the Lindows DVD player is available
somewhere.
-Michael

Re:Re: 2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

"Michael Schnell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Don't you think it's scary that MS offers rebates of 50% and more once a
big customer threatens to walk away, while the millions of legal home
users and small companies still have to pay the full sum. AFAIK, there
are some countries where the MS products are also that cheap and
redistributing them elsewhere is forbidden.
Why scary?
It's called marketing. Most companies tend to practice it in one form or
another. There have been quite a few requests for Borland to follow suit.

Re:Re: 2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

"Michael Schnell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
But in the future cost for necessary updates for MS products will be
higher that that sum in a few years, while the migration cost is a
one-time thing and upgrades are nearly free.
Upgrades are nearly free? How wonderfully naive<g>.
Upgrades are nearly free only if you ignore the time they'll spend tweaking
and testing and solving Open Source compatibility issues. Munich has made
the decision to boldly go where almost noone has gone before. I seriously
doubt we have heard the last of this story.