Re: Our IDE?!

2005-05-28 08:47:36 AM
kylix2
theo wrote:
I'm currently thinking about writing my onwn Kylix IDE.
..
So.. I think it would be possible to write a usable Opensource Kylix-IDE
in a reasonable time.

But would this be a good idea?

I'd give many swiss francs or $ if Borland would present K4.
And i fear such opensource undertakings might hinder them in doing so.

What do you think?
Theo, I think that it is a great idea and if Borland will do nothing
with Kylix it would be a solution. I think project like this is
straightforward and not difficult to do if few people will
participate. It doesn't have to be necessarily a Kylix IDE look a
like. I think it can be much simpler but with more powerful more
functional editor. The debugging process, "as you type" is probably
difficult to implement. By only observing like Kylix works its
appearing to me that the code you write is constantly checked
(possibly constantly compiled) and if you forget for example the ";"
or something stupidly similar then the editor will let you know that
something is not right, so you can correct it as you go and continue
with coding. That's for me is one of the most useful things in the IDE
editor and of course the CodeInsight future is very helpful too. Many
of the IDE's bells and whistles are not crucial and are used seldom
and could be replaced with a simple config file, so the IDE can be as
simple as possible but preferably more useful than the current Kylix
IDE. The Form Designer may have only very limited functionality of
initial components placement and to design the layout with a simple
property inspector so one could set the initial values in there. The
produced Project files I think, should be 100% Kylix compatible.
I believe it could be very successful project because there are
already in existence all the necessary elements of needed
infrastructure, like matured components, classes, compiler etc..
basically what's lacking is a Kylix-specific powerful editor.
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer
www.superobject.com/installmade/

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

Bob Swart wrote:
Plus the fact that the IDE and CLX applications are not easy (to say the
least) to run on the latest Linux distros...

Do you mean that they're are problem with running created with Kylix
CLX applications in the latest Linux distros? What kind of
difficulties you talking about here? Is there something new? From my
experience, all the compiled with Kylix application work very well on
variety of Linux distributions. There are known problems with one of
the XML lib and with executables above 64K on some security enhanced
Linux distributions, but all other Kylix compiled applications are
very solid and amazingly well behaving in most any Linux environment..
I'm really curious?
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer
www.superobject.com/installmade/
www.superobject.com/imoe/download.html

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

I'm currently thinking about writing my onwn Kylix IDE.
I'm only investigating.
I'm trying to write my own Form Designer (works already without
Object-Inspector, but there's a lot of code to copy from, the problem is
mainly in the VCL ->CLX )
Code Insight, etc (parsing) could be done on the basis of the great and
much underestimated CodeLens Procject. codelens.sourceforge.net/
Synedit would be the Editor. Maybe with the profits of
sourceforge.net/projects/mystix/ (Code Folding)
How to use GDB could be looked up in Lazarus...
So.. I think it would be possible to write a usable Opensource Kylix-IDE
in a reasonable time.
But would this be a good idea?
I'd give many swiss francs or $ if Borland would present K4.
And i fear such opensource undertakings might hinder them in doing so.
What do you think?

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

theo sighed and wrote::
I'm currently thinking about writing my onwn Kylix IDE.
I'm only investigating.
I'm trying to write my own Form Designer (works already without
Object-Inspector, but there's a lot of code to copy from, the problem is
mainly in the VCL ->CLX )
Code Insight, etc (parsing) could be done on the basis of the great and
much underestimated CodeLens Procject. codelens.sourceforge.net/
Synedit would be the Editor. Maybe with the profits of
sourceforge.net/projects/mystix/ (Code Folding)
As far as I know, and I hope I'm not misunderstanding you, what
you are attempting to do may not be permissible under the EULA.
Unless of course, you're not using Kylix to do that, though
I'm unsure of whether you are permitted to do a 'Kylix'-wannabe
IDE with/without using Kylix.
Edmund

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

theo wrote:
I'm currently thinking about writing my onwn Kylix IDE.
Why are you trying to re-invent the wheel here? Why not work on some of
the existing open source object oriented pascal compilers? It's already
been done.

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

Theo,
don't reinvent the wheel, there is already a project doing this and it's
pretty far along. Lazarus :-)
www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php
It uses Synedit just like you mentioned.
I am sure they could use your help, why not help out with that project?
theo wrote:
[...]

Hi Theo,
I'm currently thinking about writing my onwn Kylix IDE.
I'm very happy with using the Delphi 7 IDE and CrossKylix. Although I'm
still writing Kylix applications, it's been a while since I've actually
run Kylix itself...
I'd give many swiss francs or $ if Borland would present K4.
And i fear such opensource undertakings might hinder them in doing so.
Plus the fact that the IDE and CLX applications are not easy (to say the
least) to run on the latest Linux distros...
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Delphi 2005 PDF manuals available from www.drbob42.com/training

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

I completely with you agree. This will be necessary deal. Can be and I will
be able than nor be to help!
Borland seems completely froze Kylix. But me their compiler much even like.
Here offer to peer into side Lazarus. But this not very good IDE from for
greater restrictions in FPC comparatively Borland compiler. FPC can not
correct to work with global variable, at connection DLL it is impossible
addresses to dynamic arrays and classes. From for this problems to do that
that look like BPL as in Borland. The Big size of program. Not very good
work with flows. For Linux I while has chosen Borland compiler. Think if for
writing OpenSource IDE using Borland compiler to resent all concerned in
this matter people that nor come in well is yes got!
[...]

It's ready!
www.ca.freepascal.org/Lazarus/

Max wrote:
It's ready!
www.ca.freepascal.org/Lazarus/
The only problem is that some of us do not like Lazarus. And lots of
companies do not want to migrate from CLX to LCL because this would mean
to spend time and money.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

Edmund wrote:
As far as I know, and I hope I'm not misunderstanding you, what
you are attempting to do may not be permissible under the EULA.
Can you show us the license passage that contains this restriction? I
haven't found it (maybe I overlooked it) in the German Kylix 3 license.txt
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

Bill Smith wrote:
Why are you trying to re-invent the wheel here? Why not work on some of
the existing open source object oriented pascal compilers? It's already
been done.
Maybe because the Kylix compiler is already existing and working.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

tony wrote:
I am sure they could use your help, why not help out with that project?
Does Lazarus allow us to develop CLX applications? No, it doesn't.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

tony wrote:
don't reinvent the wheel, there is already a project doing this and it's
pretty far along. Lazarus :-)
www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php

Tony, it is not reinventing the wheel. The problem is that there is
enormous codebase in Delphi, on Linux site as well as on Windows site.
What is lacking is a practical way of coding for Linux in Linux and
utilizing this codebase. It is a urgent problem which needs to be
resolve. A simple Kylix IDE replacement with more powerful
Kylix-specific editor could resolve this urgent problem and help in
coding natively with Delphi/CLX on Linux without sacrificing any
existing codebase. It has nothing to do with Lazarus. Lazarus surely
is and will be very important, because of the versatility it offers.
However, we have to remember that it is impractical to use any
existing CLX Delphi code with Lazarus, so Lazarus may be a preferable
solution for starting a completely new project, new codebase, but it
is not a solution for this specific problem.
juliusz
--

theo wrote:
I'm currently thinking about writing my onwn Kylix IDE.
..
Hi Theo,
Sounds interesting.. Now that B is on the .Net IDE train it makes more
snse too. i.e. Delphi IDE code is thurther removed from producing a
Kylix successor on the same code base.
Some initial Suggestions.
Since this will be a big project..
Some Steps to think about:
1. Detailed Project plan and specification document with breakdown
sections on at least the minimum functionality - initialy people can
send their requirements and ideas to a central person. for e.g. An open
Plug-in infrastructure for IDE modules
also framework newtral i.e. allowing for LCL or CLX components etc..
2. Source Code standards specification
3. Project leader - core development team selection
4. Bug tracking system
5. Project Hosting - sourceforge?
just some thoughts..
siegs