We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

2003-07-22 04:11:16 AM
kylix0
Yes, it may come to that if the opensource community just sits back and does
nothing.
It just amazes me that they can even say this {*word*99} when nothing has been
proven in court, someone with the right resources needs to put a freaking
restraining order against SCO.
---

Re:We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

"Tony Caduto" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Yes, it may come to that if the opensource community just sits back and
does
nothing.
It just amazes me that they can even say this {*word*99} when nothing has been
proven in court, someone with the right resources needs to put a freaking
restraining order against SCO.

Do you have a specific new items to which you have a link? Or have you just
now heard about SCO's lawsuit?

Re:We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

Re:We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

Do you have a specific new items to which you have a link? Or have you just
now heard about SCO's lawsuit?
news.com.com/2100-1016_3-5047571.html
But there is STILL no actual factual information just the
usual american {*word*99} of threats that we have to pay up!
I thought Germany had issued a restraining order, but only
in Germany?
--
Lester Caine
-----------------------------

Tony Caduto wrote:
Yes, it may come to that if the opensource community just sits back and does
nothing.
It just amazes me that they can even say this {*word*99} when nothing has been
proven in court, someone with the right resources needs to put a freaking
restraining order against SCO.
Just ignore the screaming lunatic. ;-)

Kevin wrote:
Just ignore the screaming lunatic. ;-)
Seems to me that that's the best possible advice.
--
.. Phoenix

Tony Caduto wrote:
Yes, it may come to that if the opensource community just sits back and
does nothing.
It just amazes me that they can even say this {*word*99} when nothing has been
proven in court, someone with the right resources needs to put a freaking
restraining order against SCO.
Seems i understand what they want. If they show what places of code is
"stolen" opensource community will quickly rewrite these places and there
is no possibility to demand any money from anyone.

Re:We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

>Yes, it may come to that if the opensource community just sits back and
>does nothing.
>It just amazes me that they can even say this {*word*99} when nothing has been
>proven in court, someone with the right resources needs to put a freaking
>restraining order against SCO.

Seems i understand what they want. If they show what places of code is
"stolen" opensource community will quickly rewrite these places and there
is no possibility to demand any money from anyone.
And it would seem that the only area they have any problem
with relates to Multiple Processor and high end server
stuff, which most of us have probably not even downloaded ;)
--
Lester Caine
-----------------------------

"Ender" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Seems i understand what they want. If they show what places of code is
"stolen" opensource community will quickly rewrite these places and there
is no possibility to demand any money from anyone.
ROTFL You're joking, right?
If you are found guilty of stealing, you pay. It doesn't matter what you do
afterwards.
You are not not-punished for what you do afterwards. You are punished for
what you did.

Alessandro Federici - RemObjects Software wrote:
ROTFL You're joking, right?

If you are found guilty of stealing, you pay. It doesn't matter what you do
afterwards.
You are not not-punished for what you do afterwards. You are punished for
what you did.

Where are the {*word*97} theorists when we need them?
What if SCO had that code in question added to Linux by one of their
minions just so they could do what they are doing now?
Hum,...
Eduardo A. Salgado
Eminent Domain Software
"Custom Software Development For Your Domain"
Makers of EDSSpell, EDSPrint, EDSZipCodes and
XSpell, the IDE Expert.

Re:We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

I hope you are talking about SCO's Mcbride...

Tony Caduto wrote:
I hope you are talking about SCO's Mcbride...
Of course I was! :-)

"Eduardo A. Salgado" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Where are the {*word*97} theorists when we need them?
What if SCO had that code in question added to Linux by one of their
minions just so they could do what they are doing now?
It's meaningless to the point I was making.
Being found guilty doesn't mean you are guilty.
There are plenty of examples of wrong decisions made by tribunals.

Re:We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

I think Alessandro makes a good observation...
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Seems i understand what they want. If they show what places of code is
>"stolen" opensource community will quickly rewrite these places and
there
>is no possibility to demand any money from anyone.

ROTFL You're joking, right?
If you are found guilty of stealing, you pay. It doesn't matter what you
do
afterwards.
You are not not-punished for what you do afterwards. You are punished for
what you did.

Re:We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:34:47 -0500, "Eduardo A. Salgado"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in borland.public.kylix.non-technical:
Where are the {*word*97} theorists when we need them?

What if SCO had that code in question added to Linux by one of their
minions just so they could do what they are doing now?
SCO didn't write the code. They simply bought the license for the
pre-existing code. Remember this is the same (renamed) company that
specializes in buying the rights to defunct software (drdos) and then
suing over prior possibly illegal conduct that may have affected the
software prior to its ownership of that software. In other words, the
company specializes in suing software companies, and not coding
software. Don't confuse SCO with SCO.
Also, remember that the only significant company to agree to licensing
terms with SCO was Microsoft, and its pretty clear what they have to
gain by funding SCO's claims.
IBM has refused to take the claims seriously because they understand
the weakness of the claims SCO is making, and why they are making
them.
Peter Miller
PK Solutions