Anyone actually paid for a Borland Developer Support incident?

2003-07-17 12:59:23 AM
kylix1
Just curious, really, with all the "Borland isn't making fixes/patches"
quotes, if anyone's actually ponied up the $250 USD to file a support incident
related to Kylix? Any chance someone has, and even better can tell us how it
worked out? I know MS puts an NDA on their support responses, not sure if
Borland does.
--
-Brion
Team JEDI, 2001 Spirit of Delphi Award Winners

Re:Anyone actually paid for a Borland Developer Support incident?

if anyone's actually ponied up the $250 USD to file a support incident
related to Kylix?

Plenty of people have. Probably some that read these groups as well.
I know MS puts an NDA on their support responses, not sure if Borland does.

Huh? What? Why? MS actually has people sign NDAs or otherwise agree to
NDAs in order to get a
response from support?
--
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures

Re:Anyone actually paid for a Borland Developer Support incident?

AOB>Plenty of people have. Probably some that read these groups as
AOB>well.
Tell me please another thing. Is there cases when Borland immediately
release fix for bug detectected during incident? How much, comparing to
amount of reported bugs? Particularly for Kylix?

{smallsort}

Re:Anyone actually paid for a Borland Developer Support incident?

Tell me please another thing. Is there cases when Borland immediately
release fix for bug detectected during incident?

If the bug is known and a fix/workaround/patch is known then it's of
course given, yes.
If the bug isn't known, and the customer would like a work-around, then
one can be worked
on and given if possible. It isn't always possible unfortunately, but
frequently it is.
How much, comparing to amount of reported bugs? Particularly for Kylix?

That I have no hard numbers on.
--

"Anders Ohlsson (Borland)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote...
Huh? What? Why? MS actually has people sign NDAs or otherwise agree to
NDAs in order to get a
response from support?
From what I've seen in the MS fora (despite my best attempts to avoid them),
at least certain products, like MS Project, claim that any support incidents
are covered by NDA, and the recipients of support are forbidden to discuss
what happened during that support incident. There was a rather {*word*193} thread
last year about someone trying to share a fix or something.
I guess what I'm wondering is if any of the "complainers" have tried Borland
support and found it lacking, or if anyone who has tried Borland support has
been happy with it (hence, not one of the "complainers" <g>).
Seems like we just hear one side of the story.
--
-Brion
Team JEDI, 2001 Spirit of Delphi Award Winners
www.delphi-jedi.org
Fresno Area Delphi Users Group

Re:Anyone actually paid for a Borland Developer Support incident?

There was a rather {*word*193} thread
last year about someone trying to share a fix or something.

That's lame.
Seems like we just hear one side of the story.

Anybody is free to share. We don't make you pay $250 and then put a gag
on you.
--
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures
Enabling our customers to move into the future without abandoning their past
homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/disclaimer_ani.gif

Re:Anyone actually paid for a Borland Developer Support incident?

I don't think Borland's customers (Kylix users) are the problem.
Secondarily, the chief complain was not "lack of fixes and patches".
IMHO, "lack of fixes and patches" is the problem number one. Why? First - it
solve real problems, eliminate bugs. Second - it *shows* that Kylix
development is going, so there is no necessary for Danny or others to claim
anything.
Unfortunately, currently we see only words.