Indy 10, Kylix, and TIdUDPClient

2005-10-11 05:47:45 AM
kylix2
I had been using Indy 9 for a long time, then decided to switch
to Indy 10. Most of my development has been using Borland Delphi
2005 as of late, and everything has worked fine. However, I
ecently went to port some of my code to linux using Kylix 3. I
followed the instructions at
www.indyproject.org/Sockets/Docs/Indy10Kylix3Install.iwp
to install Indy 10, and everything seemed to go smoothly for the
installation. I found, however, that udp packets I'm trying to
send using the TIdUDPClient don't seem to make it to the
interface. I debugged in Kylix all the way down to the actual
Libc.SendTo call, and everything seems to work the way it should
(meaning I get no error codes returned), but the packets simply
don't go out on the interface. Here's a program that's about as
simple as it gets:
program testUdp;
{$APPTYPE CONSOLE}
uses
SysUtils,
IdUDPClient;
var
udp : TIdUDPClient;
begin
udp := TIdUDPClient.Create(nil);
try
udp.Send('10.0.0.69', 2345, 'this is a test');
finally
FreeAndNil(udp);
This program, when compiled using Indy 9, works just fine. I see
the packet go out in my tcpdump just like it should. When I
compile the same program using Indy 10, nothing shows up at all.
I can't figure out what's going on! It doesn't seem like there
are any problems as I debug into the code. There's got to be
something simple I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Seth Grover
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Indy 10, Kylix, and TIdUDPClient

Seth Grover wrote:
This program, when compiled using Indy 9, works just fine. I see
the packet go out in my tcpdump just like it should. When I
compile the same program using Indy 10, nothing shows up at all.

I can't figure out what's going on! It doesn't seem like there
are any problems as I debug into the code. There's got to be
something simple I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?
I don't think you will like this answer. Indy 10 was broken for Kylix
and after spending a lot of time on it, I got it running for TCP but
not necessarily for UDP, because I only tested it for some email
protocols like SMTP & IMAP. It is possibly broken for UDP. If so, the
problem would most likely be in the Linux-specific stack.
Ciaran

Re:Indy 10, Kylix, and TIdUDPClient

www.ararat.cz/synapse/

{smallsort}