newsgroup traffic?

2003-10-25 11:12:08 AM
kylix2
There seems to be very little newsgroup traffic on the borland kylix
groups. Am I missing some messages, or is it very light?

Re:newsgroup traffic?

km>There seems to be very little newsgroup traffic on the borland kylix
km>groups. Am I missing some messages, or is it very light?
Because there is nothing to discuss. I think all useful thoughts was already
said. :-)

Re:newsgroup traffic?

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:28:08 +0600, Ender wrote:
km>There seems to be very little newsgroup traffic on the borland kylix
km>groups. Am I missing some messages, or is it very light?

Because there is nothing to discuss. I think all useful thoughts was already
said. :-)
Wow, what a state of affairs. Nothing useful to say? unheard of....
I was afraid the lack of a new version sent everyone packing off to
Windows / VB land. ;-)
--
Ken

{smallsort}

Re:newsgroup traffic?

"Ender" wrote:
km>There seems to be very little newsgroup traffic on the borland kylix
km>groups. Am I missing some messages, or is it very light?

Because there is nothing to discuss. I think all useful thoughts was
already
said. :-)
Why don't you Kylix folks keep repeating yourself again and again and again,
just like the people in cppbuilder group. There is an enormous amount of
traffic <g>
Peter

Re:newsgroup traffic?

>Because there is nothing to discuss. I think all useful thoughts was
>already said. :-)
KM>Wow, what a state of affairs. Nothing useful to say? unheard of....
KM>I was afraid the lack of a new version sent everyone packing off to
KM>Windows / VB land. ;-)
Not exactly. Existing projects written in Kylix is not magically disappeared
so one need to maintain these projects. I have such projects... now cleaning
existing bugs, introducing small enchancements and waiting what they say on
BorCon - what is fate of Kylix.
However, think about current situation. There is no significant updates for
Kylix, no bugfixes (ok, i know there "is" extremely small not important
amount of bugfixes) for about year. Then look on Windows side. They moved
release of updates or new version of Delphi to the later times. What this
mean for Kylix? I think, new version or update only in the end of 2004. In
better case, if they release Delphi.NET extremelly bugfree. If they decide
to let Kylix live at all.
Now we bought full Qt (Linux/Widndows) license (we have expirience with Qt),
CoreLab's OCL for access to Oracle (extremely good support). Add g++ and
KDevelop/EMACS and we get good combination. stable, working, not so fast at
development but reliable. No new projects with Kylix will be made, thank you
Borland, no new versions will be bought even if they will be released.

Re:newsgroup traffic?

Ender wrote:

However, think about current situation. There is no significant updates for
Kylix, no bugfixes (ok, i know there "is" extremely small not important
amount of bugfixes) for about year. Then look on Windows side. They moved
release of updates or new version of Delphi to the later times. What this
mean for Kylix? I think, new version or update only in the end of 2004. In
better case, if they release Delphi.NET extremelly bugfree. If they decide
to let Kylix live at all.

Now we bought full Qt (Linux/Widndows) license (we have expirience with Qt),
CoreLab's OCL for access to Oracle (extremely good support). Add g++ and
KDevelop/EMACS and we get good combination. stable, working, not so fast at
development but reliable. No new projects with Kylix will be made, thank you
Borland, no new versions will be bought even if they will be released.

Ack! I was afraid of this. I used delphi, then cppbuilder on windows a
while back, then switched to linux, no borland there, then Kylix
appears, I have high hopes, only now it looks bleak.
I hope this changes; any hope of a new version?

Re:newsgroup traffic?

km>Ack! I was afraid of this. I used delphi, then cppbuilder on windows
km>a while back, then switched to linux, no borland there, then Kylix
km>appears, I have high hopes, only now it looks bleak.
km>I hope this changes; any hope of a new version?
We'll wait BorCon and what they say... OTOH, if they has anything to say,
why they remains silent?

Re:newsgroup traffic?

km>appears, I have high hopes, only now it looks bleak.
You guys are so paranoid. If, and I believe it is, Linux platform is
expanding
then you will be just fine. The expansion of the platform is going to be
slow,
as it has been for years, but it is steady and gaining as the alternate to
Win platforms.
km>I hope this changes; any hope of a new version?

Borland has hinted that they see new verrsion based on the fact that the
platoform is expanding and Borland wants to be present in all the major
platforms.
We'll wait BorCon and what they say... OTOH, if they has anything to say,
why they remains silent?
They have not been slient but as always they say little until plans are
concrete.
At this time they have their collective arms full with Octane.
One thing I find interesting is that people have two big {*word*75}es
- New versions are too frequent and require costly upgrades
- New versions are too infrequent to add new features

Re:newsgroup traffic?

PhilO wrote:
>km>appears, I have high hopes, only now it looks bleak.

You guys are so paranoid.
I think you are quite correct. When cppbuilder came out there was the
same reaction after a couple of versions.

One thing I find interesting is that people have two big {*word*75}es

- New versions are too frequent and require costly upgrades
- New versions are too infrequent to add new features

Ach! right again.
:-)
But there are patches that work with newer linux installs that should be
incorporated in their patch, yes? If the 3rd party has time to make
these available, it would seem simple for borland to use that effort to
their benefit.

Re:newsgroup traffic?

It is easy to get paranoid by writing server application and once it being
put under real load discover that it completely unusable because of memory
leak in dbExpress driver. And no any activity from Borland's side about this
bug. It is easy to get paranoid about Kylix when bugs that hit you hard not
getting fixed from version to version, even if they: a) known to Borlanders
(discussion with them in newsgroups) b) entered into QC and theirs RAID.
P>If, and I believe it is, Linux platform is expanding then you will be
P>just fine. The expansion of the platform is going to be slow, as it has
P>been for years, but it is steady and gaining as the alternate to
P>Win platforms.
I think Kylix mean very little for expansion of Linux. It only moved
interest of certain Windows developers on the Linux side.
km>>>I hope this changes; any hope of a new version?
P>Borland has hinted that they see new verrsion based on the fact that
P>the platoform is expanding and Borland wants to be present in all the
P>major platforms.
>We'll wait BorCon and what they say... OTOH, if they has anything to
>say, why they remains silent?
P>They have not been slient but as always they say little until plans
P>are concrete. At this time they have their collective arms full with
Octane.
P>One thing I find interesting is that people have two big {*word*75}es
P>- New versions are too frequent and require costly upgrades
Because they releasing new versions instead of service packs, forcing
customers to buy new version expecting that bugs get fixed in that version.
P>- New versions are too infrequent to add new features
Same cause. No service packs, and people want to pay to get bugs fixed. But
there is joke from Borland - new features and old bugs... oops, so funny!
Unfortunately - bugs not getting fixed neither in service packs nor in new
versions. So people keep complain. :-)

Re:newsgroup traffic?

But there are patches that work with newer linux installs that should be
incorporated in their patch, yes? If the 3rd party has time to make
these available, it would seem simple for borland to use that effort to
their benefit.

I have not had this problem but it seems others do. Frequent bug fixes
would be very nice.

Re:newsgroup traffic?

PhilO wrote:
>But there are patches that work with newer linux installs that should be
>incorporated in their patch, yes? If the 3rd party has time to make
>these available, it would seem simple for borland to use that effort to
>their benefit.

I have not had this problem but it seems others do. Frequent bug fixes
would be very nice.

Or even infrequent bug fixes ;-)
I've been a fan of cppbuilder on windows, and would love to see Kylix
succeed. I think it's a useful product, but for the bugs and the
difficulty in distributing applications. (dependencies)
I'm hoping for a bunch of linux types to purchase, so Borland will be
rewarded and want to continue development.

Re:newsgroup traffic?

I don't see many difficulties with distributing applications in K3. Anyway
you need Qt for UI, statically or dynamically linked it's large. Old
versions of Kylix share same name for Qt so-s as "standard" Qt shipped with
each Linux but actually being incompatible. Now they use different name for
Qt libs and so we can easy integrate it into OS.
Of course best variant if Kylix will understand g++ 3.2 ABI and link with
"standard" Qt. I'm wonder why they aren't going to make some kind of
agreement with GCC team? To be compatible.

Re:newsgroup traffic?

Go to borland.public.delphi.netpreview to help discussing the future of
Borland tools in a platform independent (thus including Linux) world.
-Michael

Re:newsgroup traffic?

P>If, and I believe it is, Linux platform is expanding then you will be
P>just fine. The expansion of the platform is going to be slow, as it
has
P>been for years, but it is steady and gaining as the alternate to
P>Win platforms.

I think Kylix mean very little for expansion of Linux. It only moved
interest of certain Windows developers on the Linux side.
I agree, but what I mean is that with a general expansion of Linux will
come additional Kylix developers, not the other way around.
Unfortunately - bugs not getting fixed neither in service packs nor in new
versions. So people keep complain. :-)
There are some fixes, but not enough for some people. What would be
interesting
is what percentage of users are a least somewhat impacted by unfixed bugs.
Is it 2% or 30% or what?