Kylix OE and Zeos?

2003-11-23 01:14:31 PM
kylix2
Am I correct in thinking that Zeos components can be used with Kylix 3 OE
to do database work? Anyone have any experience with this, regarding
stability? (RH 9.0, or would I be better off with an earlier version?)
From reading this group, I understand that there won't be official
updates for a long time (ever?) but that apparently Kylix is usable after
unofficial patching. I don't really need lots of bells and whistles, but
would like to know if it's usable enough for an in-house accounting and
billing system?
Thanks,
Neil

Re:Kylix OE and Zeos?

I don't really need lots of bells and whistles, but
would like to know if it's usable enough for an in-house accounting and
billing system?
I'm just a novice AP clerk who has used a few systems and made some
observations.
I believe that you need good support on an accounting system. Someone needs
to be around that can
help the client. If that person is no longer available, there better be
other people who will support it
at reasonable rates. The few bad accounting systems I observed had
accountants and there staff
getting angry because the system wouldnt do what they wanted. This is
probably because the system
was not supported and no one was available to make programming
modifications. Picking an accounting
system can be a major decision for a company especially if it is integrated
to other divisions of the
company. If the company is dynamic, the system will need to adapt too.
Remember not to lock the
data in a system. A good feature of an accounting system is being able to
get the data out of the
system so you can put it in a new system if you have to. Accounting systems
usually want lots of
flexible reporting built in.
I was in one company where they made different contracts with different
clients. The billing system needed to adapt. They had an in-house
programmer to make the changes.
Things got really tense when that billing system developed a glitch. I dont
know who was more red
in the face...the accounting manager or the programmer. Think about being a
publicly traded
company with all sorts of deadlines and not having the billing program
working right. Of course...
When is the billing program going to bomb? When it is time to do billing
after that new modification.
Accounting
programs are by their nature filled with feature creep if you ask me so the
comment about the
not needing bells and whistles is interesting.
A team with a systems analyst really needs to tackle this project probably.
I think an accounting
system might be big enough where you need to have some type of project
management software system
or guidelines, agree on a budget, watch the scope issues, and document the
on-going project.
Why linux? With so many canned off the shelf available accounting packages
for windows why
choose linux? If kylix is dropped, wouldnt this force your hand into a
conversion mode into windows delphi?
If there was a good reason to be in linux in the first place this conversion
that now must take place
can create problems. I know. Kylix may make a comeback in 2005. I hate
all the speculation too.
It is a lot easier to cast doubt and raise questions than to come up with a
workable solution that everyone
is happy with. Hope you are way ahead of me and thought of everything
already.
Good luck on this project.
later
marvin

Re:Kylix OE and Zeos?

"marvin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Why linux? With so many canned off the shelf available accounting
packages
for windows why choose linux?
Keep raising these sort of obvious business type concerns and pretty soon
someone here will step up and accuse you of being one of "them".

{smallsort}

Re:Kylix OE and Zeos?

On 11/23/03 14:14 +0900, neil wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that Zeos components can be used with Kylix 3 OE
to do database work? Anyone have any experience with this, regarding
stability? (RH 9.0, or would I be better off with an earlier version?)

From reading this group, I understand that there won't be official
updates for a long time (ever?) but that apparently Kylix is usable after
unofficial patching. I don't really need lots of bells and whistles, but
would like to know if it's usable enough for an in-house accounting and
billing system?
Unfortunately, while one could successfully argue the merits of
targeting Linux for an in-house accounting package, one would
have serious trouble justifying the use of Kylix on new projects.
Borland's announcement of "no updates till 2005" isn't exactly
comforting. Committing to a new project using what could very
well be a dead-end product carries unreasonable risk. IMO.
Besides, there's most likely already a mature package on the
market that will do what you need. Why reinvent the wheel?
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan
// mp3.com/trane_francks/

Re:Kylix OE and Zeos?

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
>I don't really need lots of bells and whistles, but
>would like to know if it's usable enough for an in-house accounting and
>billing system?

Accounting
programs are by their nature filled with feature creep if you ask me so the
comment about the
not needing bells and whistles is interesting.
Guys, thanks for the replies, but that's not the point. This is a small
project for a 2-person office - not talking Major Enterprise Software
here. And considering it mostly for two reasons: getting more experience
with linux and seeing if we can become microsoft-free (for our own use,
anyway).
So the question I was asking remains: can Zeos components be used with a
patched Kylix 3 OE to produce stable apps with database access (perhaps
to mySQL, for instance). I just wondered if anyone had any experience
(successful or otherwise) along those lines.

Re:Kylix OE and Zeos?

marvin wrote:

Why linux? With so many canned off the shelf available accounting
packages for windows why
choose linux? If kylix is dropped, wouldnt this force your hand into a
conversion mode into windows delphi?
If there was a good reason to be in linux in the first place this
conversion that now must take place
can create problems. I know. Kylix may make a comeback in 2005. I hate
all the speculation too.

You can also use the Open Source or off the shelf Linux Accounting packages
as well. Why not Windows? Look and see how many countries and businesses
are swithcing. Linux=new markets.

Re:Kylix OE and Zeos?

"pNichols" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
marvin wrote:

>Why linux? With so many canned off the shelf available accounting
>packages for windows why
>choose linux? If kylix is dropped, wouldnt this force your hand into
>conversion mode into windows delphi?
>If there was a good reason to be in linux in the first place this
>conversion that now must take place
>can create problems. I know. Kylix may make a comeback in 2005. I
hate
>all the speculation too.

You can also use the Open Source or off the shelf Linux Accounting
packages
as well. Why not Windows? Look and see how many countries and businesses
are swithcing. Linux=new markets.

It is easier to find good software for windows for a small business
accounting package than in linux (right now. not 2-5 years into the future).
some of the systems i looked at for a small business accounting software for
linux were conetic, infoflex, linux general ledger, proven choice,
GNU Cash, Quasar, fox on linux, open systems. I couldnt get through to
appgen.com website (mybooks). I listed these names because you
may wish to look at them. I personally dont like them. It is YOUR
decision though.
The one that I found i really like is ACCPAC advantage series. I couldnt
get any pricing information because you have
to contact the reseller. XXXX@XXXXX.COM is a reseller if you
like it and want pricing information.
I was trying to look for packages with AP,AR,GL,Payroll.
Seeing that this is a 2 person shop maybe building his own software makes
sense. Maybe the packages I was looking at are too big.
Some people with a 2 person shop maybe can use quicken or its equivalent.
It is a good exercise to look around though to see what
is out there should the business grow beyond 2 people.
Something I might try if faced with this is go look at a quicken or quicken
pro and see if it suffices. If it does, find the comparable
alternative in linux if you can. If you can get a cheap software package
that works that advertises it will grow as your company
gets bigger, that would be nice. Kind of like a basic version and then a
pro version.
Good luck with building your own accounting system or whatever off the shelf
system you decide on :-)
I have nothing against linux. It is good to review ALL solutions whether
they be in windows or linux.
later,
marvin