Web Service Development On Linux?

2004-06-25 05:12:13 AM
kylix1
Hello,
I wasn't sure where to post this message, so please direct me to the correct
NG if either of these is not it.
If I want to develop a web service application on Linux/Apache, what would
the best Borland tool be for that task?
I would like to have as much of a RAD environment as possible.
If there are any other non-Borland suggestions for this situation, please
let me know.
Thank you,
Kevin

Re:Web Service Development On Linux?

Hello Kevin,
I was involved with the Kylix/Cortez Web Services support and it was a good
implementation. However, WebService Standards are rapidly evolving and not
much work has gone into either Kylix or Cortez (Kylix for C++) for a while.
So, unless you have these products around already and your Service does not
require latest standards I would not recommend going this route. For
example, we had File Attachment support but using MIME. Recently, there's
been a push/switch towards DIME, a standard that has become very popular as
it's supported by .NET WebServices.
The Kylix/Cortez approach was indeed RAD. IOW, to create a Service, you go
through a Wizard that creates a module and drops/configures a few
components. And you do configure the service via Properties|Events in an
Object Inspector, etc.
Something else to keep in mind is interoperability. Unless you know exactly
who's going to connect to your Service, your best bet is to go with
something that can interoperate with all major WebService implementations. I
was involved in the interop Round 2. You can find some information on that
page:
www.whitemesa.com/interop.htm
The above is also a good link to find other SOAP stacks that may be of
interest to you. There are many others. We used gSOAP for a mobile project I
worked on recently and it's great if you need something compact. I've heard
that Axis [initially a Java initiative] now also has a C++ implementation.
I hope the above is useful. Good luck!
Regards,
Bruneau.

Kevin Rood wrote:
Hello,

I wasn't sure where to post this message, so please direct me to the
correct NG if either of these is not it.

If I want to develop a web service application on Linux/Apache, what
would the best Borland tool be for that task?
None of them could be described as any good due to the stagnation
or immaturity of the product.
I would like to have as much of a RAD environment as possible.

If there are any other non-Borland suggestions for this situation,
please let me know.
Decide which language you want to use first, there are hundreds.

Re:Web Service Development On Linux?

Hi Kevin,
If I want to develop a web service application on Linux/Apache, what would
the best Borland tool be for that task?
I would use Kylix 3 for that - either the Delphi or the C++ flavour
(depending on your taste). But you need to check out a few things before
you can commit to it, like the interoperability with the SOAP clients
(and if that can be any, then think about that Jean-Marie said about the
SOAP attachments for example), and the version/distribution of Linux on
the web server that will be used as deployment machine (there have been
some issues with Kylix on the most recent distributions - I still use it
on Red Hat 6 and 7.2 without problems, but I've heard about problems on
newer distros)...
I've built a number of web services on Linux - some for production and
some just as demos and examples. The latest one (for demo/fun) is
described in a 2-part article which just went up on the IBM website.
It's about a DataSnap web service on Linux (with the second part being
the Delphi client).
See www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/zones/borland/ for more.
For a "regular" Kylix web service, you can check out some of my articles
at www.drbob42.com/kylix/bizsnap.htm (especially sections 4 and
5).
Kevin
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) Borland Technology Partner
Delphi Win32 & .NET training en support - IntraWeb Authorized Trainer

Re:Web Service Development On Linux?

We use Delphi 7 / Kylix 3 for cross compiling.
And we use Apache 2.0 for web server.
We have some compliants about Kylix, but it works.
Hür AKDÜLGER