Re: Borland Classic Products

2005-08-30 01:53:19 AM
kylix2
Lazarus is a great project
Congratulations to the developpers.
But Lazarus it's still very ingenous, it doesn't seems to me that,
one day, it could be a professional-like software.
no offenses
Tony Caduto wrote:
Looks that way...
We need to start using Lazarus....
If all the Kylix guru's put there energy into Lazaurus/FPC and stop
wasting time with Kylix, Lazarus could be very desirable.
It's on the way, but needs help.

>Could we say, this is end of the story?

Re:Re: Borland Classic Products

Bira wrote:
Lazarus is a great project
Congratulations to the developpers.
But Lazarus it's still very ingenous, it doesn't seems to me that,
one day, it could be a professional-like software.

Lazarus is based on Free Pascal. Free Pascal already looks very
professional. So maybe Lazarus will come up to speed so0me day, too.
-Michael

Tony Caduto wrote:
If all the Kylix guru's put there energy
Unfortunately there are not that many Kylix guru's around.
I gave Lazarus another chance recently and two things happened. I got
annoyed I had to fish around for a url to download it from and it was
missing some really basic functionality - Close Project.
I also don't like the fact that it is a rip off of Delphi 7 either. I'd
like to see open source improve applications, not duplicate it.
For me to use open source regular it doesn't have to be as good. It has
to be better+++.
I will be perserving though (when I get some more time) with my project
(which I hope will run on Linux and MAC - main platforms) and will be
making modifications to the IDE code as my frustration grows which I
will naturally share with the developers if they would like to use them.
BTW, The treeview on the inspector just looks wrong.
--
www.jed-software.com

{smallsort}

"JED" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Tony Caduto wrote:

I also don't like the fact that it is a rip off of Delphi 7 either.
Was VB out before Delphi 1?
I'd
like to see open source improve applications, not duplicate it.
Other than being opensource, how has Linux improved upon Unix?
Just wondering.
Rob

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Tony Caduto wrote:
>
>I also don't like the fact that it is a rip off of Delphi 7 either.

Was VB out before Delphi 1?

>I'd
>like to see open source improve applications, not duplicate it.

Other than being opensource, how has Linux improved upon Unix?

LOL.
Good to see the focus is on the correct things...
Just wondering.
You could always just wonder off...
--
www.jed-software.com

Re:Re: Borland Classic Products

Robby Tanner wrote:
Was VB out before Delphi 1?
Delphi is certainly an improvement upon it.
>I'd
>like to see open source improve applications, not duplicate it.

Other than being opensource, how has Linux improved upon Unix?
That's an example of how what he'd like to see and what actually
happens, can be entirely different.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

JED wrote:
Tony Caduto wrote:

>If all the Kylix guru's put there energy

Unfortunately there are not that many Kylix guru's around.

I gave Lazarus another chance recently and two things happened. I got
annoyed I had to fish around for a url to download it from and it was
missing some really basic functionality - Close Project.
What's the semantic of a "Close Project"?

I also don't like the fact that it is a rip off of Delphi 7 either. I'd
like to see open source improve applications, not duplicate it.
Ever tried the (re)"factoring" tools of lazarus? I don't think that delphi has
them:
procedure p;
begin
i:=1;
s:='';
e:=1.2;
end;
place the cursor behind i, s or e, press Ctrl-Shift-C and see what happens.

For me to use open source regular it doesn't have to be as good. It has
to be better+++.
That's always dangerous to say that OSS projects and even more a community
project like lazarus miss something because it always poses the question where
your patches are :)

On 2005-08-28, Tony Caduto < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>Andreas Hausladen wrote:
>They had their change to get me on board. Now I'm more interested in
>CrossFPC than Lazarus.
How come they were not interested in your help?
IIRC Andreas required compability with Delphi compiler.

On 2005-08-30, Robby Tanner < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>I'd
>like to see open source improve applications, not duplicate it.

Other than being opensource, how has Linux improved upon Unix?
BSD is already open source since mid eighties. So not even that :_)

Re:Re: Borland Classic Products

Lazarus is already a good product. The problem is the LCL. It is
years behind the VCL. Of course if 40 good Delphi/Kylix developers
worked on the UOPL, that could change in less then 18 months.
Michael Schnell wrote:
Bira wrote:

>Lazarus is a great project
>Congratulations to the developpers.
>But Lazarus it's still very ingenous, it doesn't seems to me that,
>one day, it could be a professional-like software.

Lazarus is based on Free Pascal. Free Pascal already looks very
professional. So maybe Lazarus will come up to speed so0me day, too.

-Michael
--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson

On 2005-08-29, JED < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Unfortunately there are not that many Kylix guru's around.

I gave Lazarus another chance recently and two things happened. I got
annoyed I had to fish around for a url to download it from and it was
missing some really basic functionality - Close Project.

I also don't like the fact that it is a rip off of Delphi 7 either. I'd
like to see open source improve applications, not duplicate it.
Both products are written in their own visual library (VCL, LCL resp), and
these libraries are meant to be highly compatible. And mimicing UI eases
migration/interoperability too. I don't see a problem.
Moreover, Windows users aren't really known for their adaptiveness. Usually
they define "good" and "bad" UI as "windowslike" and "not windowslike". Delphi
users are no exception.
For me to use open source regular it doesn't have to be as good. It has
to be better+++.
There are certainly things they could have left out, like the tabbed component
view. (which Delphi got rid of too)

JED wrote:
Tony Caduto wrote:

>If all the Kylix guru's put there energy

Unfortunately there are not that many Kylix guru's around.

I gave Lazarus another chance recently and two things happened. I got
annoyed I had to fish around for a url to download it from and it was
missing some really basic functionality - Close Project.

I also don't like the fact that it is a rip off of Delphi 7 either. I'd
like to see open source improve applications, not duplicate it.
I think for such a small group, duplicating Delphi 7 was a huge feat.
Give them a break and there are several things in Lazarus I like better
then Delphi 7. There are several things missing too.

Robby Tanner wrote:

"JED" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Tony Caduto wrote:
>
>I also don't like the fact that it is a rip off of Delphi 7 either.

Was VB out before Delphi 1?
Actually Visual DBase was the first RAD tool. VB copied it. The most you can
claim with Delphi is that Borland took something they did for another product of
theirs and brought it to another of their products.
--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB) On waves of silver I dreamed of gold
(Please do not email 'Till I lost the peace that dreaming gives

Florian Klaempfl wrote:

Ever tried the (re)"factoring" tools of lazarus? I don't think that delphi has
them:

Maybe you should do just a little research before making a claim so easy to
refute.
procedure p;
begin
i:=1;
s:='';
e:=1.2;
end;

place the cursor behind i, s or e, press Ctrl-Shift-C and see what happens.

In Delphi if I hit ctrl-shift-v it will declare the variable for me. If I hit
ctrl-shift-e I can rename it and all instances in the scope. Delphi has many
refactoring items in it and I expect even more in the next release of Delphi.
--

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:

Florian Klaempfl wrote:

>Ever tried the (re)"factoring" tools of lazarus? I don't think that delphi has
>them:

Maybe you should do just a little research before making a claim so easy to
refute.
You shouldn't remove the important quotes, the discussion was about delphi 7
IIRC it doesn't have refactoring?