[OT] Crossover Office

2004-02-05 02:34:07 PM
kylix0
Has anyone experience with Delphi 5/7 applications running on Linux (Suse)
using Crossover Office (www.codeweavers.com/)? I'm looking for some
experience with database centric applications (Client/Server, the database
server is taken care of) that maybe use some temp-directory for
sorting/whatever but no explicit Windows API call's (apart from what the 3rd
party components do ' under the hood' ).
tia,
Martin

Re:[OT] Crossover Office

Martin Brekhof wrote:
Has anyone experience with Delphi 5/7 applications running on Linux (Suse)
using Crossover Office (www.codeweavers.com/)? I'm looking for some
experience with database centric applications (Client/Server, the database
server is taken care of) that maybe use some temp-directory for
sorting/whatever but no explicit Windows API call's (apart from what the
3rd
party components do ' under the hood' ).

tia,
Martin
You do not need Crossover in most cases, but what you will need to do is to
create some type of Windows installer and set it up under Wine.
First configure Wine by using the winesetup tool. Pay attention to your
drive configuration so that you will know what drives are mapped to what
Example:
A: Floppy /media/floppy
C: HD *{HOME}/.wine/fake_windows
D: CD-ROM /media/cdrom
..
..
..
Now insert your installer in a CD-ROM and mount or if it is own your hard
drive.
From a terminal type D:/Setup.exe (assuming your installer is on the
media/cdrom as per above). Let is run.
Please note: If you are using the BDE, you will probably have some registry
problems. You will need to play around with this until all of the registry
settings are correct. Please make sure that your installer installs a
complete copy of the BDE if you are using the BDE, and make sure all of the
dlls are included in the install. Of course, make sure to set the BDE
settings to point to your fake windows C:\myDBFiles or whatever, in the BDE
administrator.
NOTE: No garantee this will work, however. It is a hit and miss with either
CrossOver Office or Wine.

Re:[OT] Crossover Office

Now, how hard must be setup a app using this combo? (if you know..or
guess ;)
Thirdy-Party
- DevExpress Grid, Toolbar&menu & edit controls OR TMS Control (all
about GUI stuff)
- Rave Reports
- RemObjects, using binary
- VCL Skin Engine
Borland Controls
- Delphi 7 Ent
- Considering seriously use Bold (but only for server)
- Controls of tab standar, win32 (the tab control),TDataSet,
TClientDataSet...the most importants...
For a multi-tier app, with database a)Firebird b)DB2 or C)MS Sql (MS Sql
maybe not a choice with a Linux environment or at least a Linux Server)
Yes, i know that i must test myself, but i don't finnish to download my
copy of Lindows&Suse (i need test in both, that is my "official" Linux
support), and i not have idea of linux..so i need understand upfront the
knid of problems that i must have...

{smallsort}

Re:[OT] Crossover Office

- DevExpress Grid
No work edition, the grid need riched32.dll

Re:[OT] Crossover Office

mamcx wrote:
[...]

As I stated, it will be a hit and miss type of testing. I have a Delphi 5
BCB 4 App using the BDE and connecting to an Interbase server, which is
running on another Linux Server. It works great.
It took a lot of customization and messing with the Wine configuration
files, to be sure. The L&F is not native (I mean it does not look exactly
like it did on Windows), and the screen resolutions are problematic running
at higher resolutions. The only problem I have with the App now, is that
Authorware dlls we are calling and passing information to, will not work.
All of the BDE and Delphi/BCB stuff works great. We are also going to have
to remove a Background screen we are using for the Delphi/BCB Linux app,
since Wine puts it in a separate Window, instead of making it a Gradiant
Background form that host our App. Other than these minor annoyances, it is
working quite well.
We are not using but one third party lib (we like to write most of our own
stuff, so when they go under, we are not SOL <G>), and that is the LMD
add-ons. I did not have a problem with any of these libraries, nor with
Quick Reports (yuk, BTW).
Nice thing is that the app is actually three times faster than it was when
running on a Windows box. That is simply amazing to me!
I will be digging more into this, since this legacy app we wrote for a
customer some time ago, is vital to their business. A good percentage of
their customer base is moving to Linux now (I tried to warn them and let me
rewrite this xplatform for over two years), so it is either a "do it" or
"lose it" type situation.
Fortunately, we wrote all of the server side stuff in Java, so the customers
can easily use a Linux server (and many are), but now they are also moving
to Linux clients, where everything is Delphi and BCB.
The reason I mentioned this latter part, is if I can get them to give me
permission, I can release the library ties I am going to have to create and
tap into (for the Delphi and BCB stuff) back to the community. If they will
not allow me to open source these unique libs, well at least I can share
with everyone how I did it. I do not know however, when they are going to
give me the green light, so do not count on this any time soon <G>.
I do not know of any easy way to tell you how to make all of this work. It
took me approx. 6 hours of meddling to get everything up and running
correctly (except that darn Authorware, still do not have this working). I
could do it now in approx. 30 minutes, but I will definitely be writing
utils to do all of this for the customers, so it will take a simple install
for them.
The main thing you wil have to mess with, is the Registry files and the main
Config file. Much of this can be done through the winesetup, but some of it
you will need to hand manipulate (or at least I did). DO not think Windows
registry here. All of the Registry settings are in an INI type format for
Wine.
Good luck. Tell your boss he will have to be patient and you will hav to
play for a while <G>.

Re:[OT] Crossover Office

thank you
Martin

Re:[OT] Crossover Office

Ricardo Cardona (Open) wrote:
>- DevExpress Grid

No work edition, the grid need riched32.dll
Did you try placing the dll in the ./wine/fake_windows/Windows/System
folder?

Re:[OT] Crossover Office

Did you try placing the dll
in the ./wine/fake_windows/Windows/System
folder?
Yes, and it works but the file can not be redistribute

Re:[OT] Crossover Office

Ricardo Cardona (Open) wrote:
>Did you try placing the dll
>in the ./wine/fake_windows/Windows/System
>folder?

Yes, and it works but the file can not be redistribute
Ah, Gotcha...
The problems with using Proprietary Operating Systems and Component Libs :)