Unofficial VisualCLX patch and app startup speed

2004-04-24 07:28:39 PM
kylix1
After installing patches, I see starting my application
takes about 5-10 seconds, without the patches it starts
inmediately, any workaround?
The problem is in Application.run, when the mainform is set to Visible
Thanks
Suse 9.0-Kylix 3
--
Toni Martir
reportman.sourceforge.net

Re:Unofficial VisualCLX patch and app startup speed

Toni Maartir wrote:
The problem is in Application.run, when the mainform is set to Visible
So it is not in Application.Run. Application.Run is only the entry point
for the function that causes this delay. You are free to find the problem.
Maybe I'll find it while writing another bug fix but my main aim is not to
optimize the VCLX but to fix bugs.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Toni Maartir wrote:
After installing patches, I see starting my application
takes about 5-10 seconds, without the patches it starts
inmediately, any workaround?
Does the same happens with an empty main form? Do you have code in
Form.OnPaint that could be responsilble for this?
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Unofficial VisualCLX patch and app startup speed

Maybe I'll find it while writing another bug fix but my main aim is not to
optimize the VCLX but to fix bugs.
The application runs instantly without your patches, so it's very probable a
problem introduced by your patches.
I will investigate the problem, you are doing a good work, thanks.

Re:Unofficial VisualCLX patch and app startup speed

Does the same happens with an empty main form? Do you have code in
Form.OnPaint that could be responsilble for this?
I will try, there is not OnPaint/OnShow, it's a form with toolbar, status
bar and scroll box. The real stuff is created by the user by selecting file
new. It's really strange, I introduced some manual fixes in FormResize will
look at this.
The application is the designer of Report Manager:
reportman.sourceforge.net
Thanks

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Toni Maartir wrote:

>The problem is in Application.run, when the mainform is set to Visible

So it is not in Application.Run. Application.Run is only the entry point
for the function that causes this delay. You are free to find the problem.
Maybe I'll find it while writing another bug fix but my main aim is not to
optimize the VCLX but to fix bugs.
Hi,
This happened to me, not on application startup, but when I open other form
(not auto-created) with a few dozen controls, it suffers that delay
(5~10sec on a pIV-2.5ghz). Could it be that new code is iterating ALL the
controls in form? Tried it with forms with only 3 controls and its as fast
as it was before the patch.
Hope this can help somehow.
Good work Andreas.
Cheers.
--
Luis Mineiro ( XXXX@XXXXX.COM )
ZBit Software, Lda. (www.zbit.pt)

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Toni Maartir wrote:

>The problem is in Application.run, when the mainform is set to Visible

So it is not in Application.Run. Application.Run is only the entry point
for the function that causes this delay. You are free to find the problem.
Maybe I'll find it while writing another bug fix but my main aim is not to
optimize the VCLX but to fix bugs.

Hi again,
I did some more testing, and this is what I think I've found:
TApplication.EventFilter loops until some kind of event fires, like moving
the mouse. The delay comes from inactivity, If I move the mouse around, the
form shows instantly. This might still have something to do with forms
having dozens of controls because forms with only 2 or 3 controls don't
need this "move-mouse-like-crazy-tweak" to show up instantly.
I'll keep testing and post new discoveries.
Cheers.
--

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Toni Maartir wrote:

>The problem is in Application.run, when the mainform is set to Visible

So it is not in Application.Run. Application.Run is only the entry point
for the function that causes this delay. You are free to find the problem.
Maybe I'll find it while writing another bug fix but my main aim is not to
optimize the VCLX but to fix bugs.

More insights...
The delay happens if WindowState is wsMaximized but doesn't happen when
wsNormal.
Still investigating...
Cheers.
--

Luis Mineiro wrote:
The delay happens if WindowState is wsMaximized but doesn't happen when
wsNormal.
I found the reason. No it is not introduced by the patch. The code was not
executed till the patch fixed something around it. The sleeping function
is a call to Xlib.XSendEvent(). Now I try to work around this bug.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Unofficial VisualCLX patch and app startup speed

Thanks,
I was ready to include the patch in Report Manager release, but because this
issue it's not included, the patch fixes lot of issues and gives stability
to visual designer.
Thanks again
"Andreas Hausladen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escribi?en el
mensaje news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Toni Martir wrote:
I was ready to include the patch in Report Manager release, but because
this issue it's not included, the patch fixes lot of issues and gives
stability to visual designer.
I don't know if it fixes the problem with the slow form showing but the
"mouse move lock" is fixed by it:
unvclx.sourceforge.net/archive/index.php&h
l=1
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen