A way to save Kylix

2004-10-18 03:33:53 PM
kylix0
Here is a way that I believe that Borland can save and PROFIT from
Kylix and also get it out to more Comercial and open source
programmers. However before they start this they will have to do a few
upgrades to the system.
1. Make the compilers (both C/C++ and Object pascal) and IDE
compatible with kernel ALL 2.6 based Linux distributions.
2. Get out from under TrollTech by either purchasing the full rights
to the Borland Version of QT 2 from them or building their own QT like
widget set designed to actually use properties and event methods (the
way of the Borland IDE) rather than signals and slots. (If they want
to stay with trollTech they should at least upgrade to the current QT
3 standard. However I really think Kylix should have a widget set of
its own and not in effect be owned by two different companies. I still
think this two company ownership is a MAJOR reason the Borland
abandoned its roots with the small amateur "shareware" commercial
developers to what I believe was the ultimate detrament of the
company.At this time this would mean purchasing the full rights to the
QT 2 that they are using or developing their own QT 2 compatible
widget set so that they wouldn't have to change too much too fast.
Such an independent widget set could be tied directly to the CLX
windows and controls themselves to make them act more like the VCL
under Windows and eliminate the need for application launching scripts
to deploy Kylix apps. Therefore even if Borland could purchase
outright the rights to the QT 2 version that Kylix uses they should
see its use as a stopgap measure pending the development of the
independent CLX widget set I discribed much as companies with non
compatable C++ compilers use STLPort as a work around until they can
build true compatability in their compilers.)
3. Upgrade the Database engine and controls to work with kernel 2.6
distributions and the latest versions of GCC and Glibc.
Once these things are done here is the way I believe that Borland can
realize profit and sucess for Kylix in both the C++ and OP forms. This
would be to allow commercial linux distributers to add a Light version
(similar to the current Open and Personal editions but with a Licence
for COMMERCIAL PROPRIETARY DEVELOPMENT as well as open source usage,
basic database controls and the BDE) to their BOXED distributions on a
per box royalty basis.
I believe that this would profit Borland in three ways.
1. Direct profits from royalty payments by commercial Boxed Linux
Distributors.
2. Linux users will become more familiar with a Kylix product that
becomes as ubiquitous as BASIC was on original computers and therefore
would be more ready to purchase higher priced versions of the same
product when they need more programming power from it (This is in fact
one of the things that made Bill Gates so rich.providing a "free"
QBASIC interpreter with DOS and DOS based versions of Windows like 3x
and 9x provided the incentive for people to buy boxed compiler
versions of QuickBASIC and eventually Visual Basic.)
3. This move would return Borland to its basic roots of providing
quality development tools (Turbo Pascal, Turbo C/C++ the old pre
personal standard versions of Delphi and C++ Builder) to first time
amateur software authors and developers. I believe there is still
profit in this if Borland would only return to it. (They were in fact
my favorite company as just such an amateur developer before they went
the route they did and I would really would like to see them consider
returning to their roots. I really think Kylix reworked to the ideas I
presented here would be just the way to do that through the system
most of the amateurs are migrating to, Linux.