Re: Linux - which tool ?

2005-09-08 11:15:38 PM
kylix0
"Robby Tanner" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

"dd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>SKW-BR wrote:
>>"Ivan Cruz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na mensagem
>>news:431c945b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>

>>>Desktop: Java
>>>Web: PHP
>>

>>With Java we would have productivity like Delphi?
>
>Java has a rich high-level API, so in this sence it can be as productive
>as Delphi.
>
>But it's not RAD, so creating forms and dialogs would take a little more
>work. Which is really not that bad.

Typically, no language is RAD so neither is Object Pascal or C++. There
are however environments such as IBMs VisualAge for Java and Borland's
JBuilder. I'm not sure if Sun has something to offer, but there's the
Eclipse project, NetBeans, Forte and probably something from MS for
building Java applications.
Oops, the topics was Linux tools. There stll may be RAD offerings. I think
Eclipse is cross-platform.
Rob

Re:Re: Linux - which tool ?

"Robby Tanner" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Oops, the topics was Linux tools. There stll may be RAD offerings.
JBuilder is just about fully RAD.
Jonathan

Re:Re: Linux - which tool ?

"dd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Java has a rich high-level API, so in this sence it can be as productive
as Delphi.

But it's not RAD, so creating forms and dialogs would take a little more
work. Which is really not that bad.
Although I would not use Java for application development, JBuilder is a
RAD Java development environment, and AFAIK JBuilder works on Win/Lin/Mac.
Jonathan

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Linux - which tool ?

Jonathan Benedicto wrote:
"dd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Java has a rich high-level API, so in this sence it can be as productive
>as Delphi.
>
>But it's not RAD, so creating forms and dialogs would take a little more
>work. Which is really not that bad.

Although I would not use Java for application development, JBuilder is a
RAD Java development environment, and AFAIK JBuilder works on Win/Lin/Mac.

Jonathan

I was thinking of Java by itself, no IDE. As opposed to how I see
Delphi, where Delphi refers to the language and the IDE.
And yes, JBuilder is an excellent Java RAD IDE.

Re:Re: Linux - which tool ?

"dd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I was thinking of Java by itself, no IDE. As opposed to how I see Delphi,
where Delphi refers to the language and the IDE.
I see what you mean. I think that I was just clarifying that Java can be
RAD.
Jonathan

Re:Re: Linux - which tool ?

Jonathan Benedicto wrote:
>"dd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>
>>Java has a rich high-level API, so in this sence it can be as productive
>>as Delphi.
>>
>>But it's not RAD, so creating forms and dialogs would take a little more
>>work. Which is really not that bad.
>

>Although I would not use Java for application development, JBuilder is a
>RAD Java development environment, and AFAIK JBuilder works on
>Win/Lin/Mac.
>
>Jonathan

I was thinking of Java by itself, no IDE. As opposed to how I see Delphi,
where Delphi refers to the language and the IDE.
I was making the distinction that Delphi is a RAD IDE for Object Pascal.

Re:Re: Linux - which tool ?

news:43206572$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Jonathan Benedicto wrote:
>>"dd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>
>>>Java has a rich high-level API, so in this sence it can be as productive
>>>as Delphi.
>>>
>>>But it's not RAD, so creating forms and dialogs would take a little more
>>>work. Which is really not that bad.
>>

>>Although I would not use Java for application development, JBuilder is a
>>RAD Java development environment, and AFAIK JBuilder works on
>>Win/Lin/Mac.
>>
>>Jonathan
>
>I was thinking of Java by itself, no IDE. As opposed to how I see Delphi,
>where Delphi refers to the language and the IDE.

I was making the distinction that Delphi is a RAD IDE for Object Pascal.
Although I see that the line was blurred above when Java was compared to
Delphi.

Re:Re: Linux - which tool ?

theo < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
>We needed to begin a system for the Linux operating system. We have
>experiences with Delphi 7; which tool do you recommend?

Erm, since you're asking here: Why not consider Kylix? It's far more
mature than Lazarus, and feels way better than Java.
As you upgrade Linux versions, it may stop working because of glibc issues.
And the only maintenance on it is by a single part-time, unpaid volunteer.
--
Seek simplicity and mistrust it.
Alfred Whitehead

Re:Re: Linux - which tool ?

Hello!

On 2005-09-09, theo < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>We needed to begin a system for the Linux operating system. We have
>experiences with Delphi 7; which tool do you recommend?

Erm, since you're asking here: Why not consider Kylix? It's far more
mature than Lazarus, and feels way better than Java.
More important: Kylix & Lazarus are reasonably compatible, so you don't have
to make the choice up front, specially if your product has a low GUI
content.
Just study both a bit so you aware of the differences.