Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

2003-10-30 04:45:40 AM
kylix0
It's obvious that Linux distros don't waste time on software compatibility
testing. Apparently, they don't waste much time on hardware compatibility
either.
www.mandrakeclub.com/modules.php
tinyurl.com/swhy

Re:Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:3fa03185$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
"Hilton Evans" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>How can you be sure this is not hardware
>on hardware crime?

What sure what you mean by this but Mandrake has confirmed the problem.
And?

--
Hilton Evans
ChemPen Chemical Structure Software

{smallsort}

Re:Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

"Hilton Evans" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
How can you be sure this is not hardware
on hardware crime?
What sure what you mean by this but Mandrake has confirmed the problem.

Re:Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:3fa046fc$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
Strange that an installer would issue a FLUSH_CACHE command which is
normally associated with *writing* to the drive. Particularly when the
drive isn't even capable of writing.
It's strange the a FLUSH_CACHE command would be used as an UPLOAD_FIRMWARE
command.
Looks like a confirmed software problem to me.
Any hardware that is easily broken by software would appear to be a
hardware problem.
--
Iman

Re:Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:3fa0493b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
And the installer for Mandrake Linux has destroyed some people's
hardware.
No buggy firmware destroyed some peoples hardware. Besides, it's fixed
now.
--
Iman

JQP wrote:
It's obvious that Linux distros don't waste time on software compatibility
testing. Apparently, they don't waste much time on hardware
compatibility either.

www.mandrakeclub.com/modules.php

tinyurl.com/swhy
This sounds more like those BIOSes that wuill only allow a certain version
of an OS before the hardware will initialize. We had a Compaq 5000 series
one time, that shipped with ME and none of peripherals would work when we
changed it to NT Workstation. A call to Compaq stated that the machine's
internal BIOS registered the hardware, made a sys check of the installed
OS, and if the version number was not ME, the peripherals would fail.
I since made a pack with myself and my suppliers. If it will not support
generic X OSes, I will not buy it period!!
There is no way that an OS or drivers could fry the CD-ROM unless they were
controlling the power going to that device. The BIOS however, could
disallow the device to be registered in that BIOS or refuse to recognize it
by mean of some switching in/to the IDE controller or HAL layer.

JQP wrote:

What sure what you mean by this but Mandrake has confirmed the problem.

I think they confirmed that it was a problem with the design of the drives.
www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/33648.html

"Harry Barclay" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I think they confirmed that it was a problem with the design of the
drives.
As they say, there are two sides to every story.

news:3fa044b2$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I think they confirmed that it was a problem with the design of the
drives.

As they say, there are two sides to every story.

Strange that an installer would issue a FLUSH_CACHE command which is
normally associated with *writing* to the drive. Particularly when the
drive isn't even capable of writing.

Looks like a confirmed software problem to me.
No, it's a confirmed firmware problem.
If you are trying to put the blame on Linux/Mandrake
then I'm sure there is a job for you with Microsoft
in their FUD department.
www.mailtrap.org.uk/
www.ibrox.demon.co.uk/

Re:Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

And?

"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
Any hardware that is easily broken by software would appear to be a
hardware problem.
Almost every PC in existence contains hardware that can be damaged in some
way by malicious or buggy software.

"Bob { Goddard }" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
No, it's a confirmed firmware problem.
If you are trying to put the blame on Linux/Mandrake
then I'm sure there is a job for you with Microsoft
in their FUD department.
LOL!
Linux is perfect. Anything to the contrary is FUD.

Re:Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
No buggy firmware destroyed some peoples hardware. Besides, it's fixed
now.
What's fixed now? The firmware ... or the software?

news:bnphfa$133abs$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>No, it's a confirmed firmware problem.
>If you are trying to put the blame on Linux/Mandrake
>then I'm sure there is a job for you with Microsoft
>in their FUD department.

LOL!

Linux is perfect. Anything to the contrary is FUD.
Take a hike. If you don't know what you're doing or are to lazy to read the
fine manual, what are you complaining about?
--
Ruurd