Re: FreeCLX

2005-06-20 04:46:10 AM
kylix2
theo < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>We should all just dump Kylix and start to use Lazarus........

This is the newsgroup where even top-posting is allowed. ;-)
Because nobody really cares...

The only thing holding me back from changing to Lazarus or Mono is GTK.
Buy Trolltech and release Qt under the LPGL or something less :) I doubt that even with a Kylix license somebody would be allowed to use Qt (even more Qt 3) in non-GPL applications with Lazarus or Mono.
I'm getting a headache of looking at GTK widgets for more than two
minutes...

So there's KDevelop, but ... I'm also getting a headache when looking at
C++ code....

Sigh...;-)

Re:Re: FreeCLX

On 2005-06-18, theo < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Ok, this might be a good moment for talking.

The question is: How do we code ourselves out of this Kylix misery?

As is said above: GTK and C++ are not an option for me.

This excludes:
Mono, Lazarus, KDevelop etc.
Z: Nope. It means you will have to write a Lazarus frontend to QT. Lazarus
is widget set independant.
C: Make CLX work with FPC: Mostly a legal question. The rest could be done
by the FPC-compiler experts (i.e. Florian Klaempfl)
E: Say goodbye to Pascal, eat tons of Asprin and code in C++ ;-)
D: Your Opinion...
fpc/clx (but that is not yet Kylix or Lazarus), lazarus/qt and lazarus/gtk
in paralel, depending on how it actually turns out, and take the best
depending on application.
P.s. There is not enough aspirin in the world for E.

Re:Re: FreeCLX

On 2005-06-18, theo < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

fpc/clx (but that is not yet Kylix or Lazarus), lazarus/qt and lazarus/gtk
in paralel, depending on how it actually turns out, and take the best
depending on application.
... and license situation. For some the kylix license is acceptable, for
some buying the QT license is also acceptable, etc.
fpc/clx and lazarus/gtk are in progress. The question if is the community will pick up lazarus/qt

{smallsort}

Re:Re: FreeCLX

"theo" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
It depends. The compiler is OK (not 64 bit but..).
The weak parts are the IDE and the Qt-version-dependency.
See:
sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php
for Qt3Clx
It seem like we're hitting two obstacles trying to find a way forward:
1. No new version of Kylix on the horizon.
2. Lawyers.
I am interested in Kylix because it allows me to develop applications
on Linux without losing RAD.
Jonathan

Re:Re: FreeCLX

Tony Caduto wrote:
We should all just dump Kylix and start to use Lazarus
I'm still using Kylix 3 just fine.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]