Borland Classic Products

2005-08-26 03:18:59 PM
kylix2
Did anybody visit Kylix Page in Borland's web site?
You can find it by following link:
www.borland.com/us/products/classic_products/index.html
They said,
"Some of our earlier products have become "Classics" - products that
continue to be in demand although they are no longer enhanced, supported or
marketed by Borland."
and
"Please note that Borland offers no further enhancements or support for
these products."
Could we say, this is end of the story?

Re:Borland Classic Products

"Some of our earlier products have become "Classics" - products that
continue to be in demand although they are no longer enhanced, supported
or marketed by Borland."
and
"Please note that Borland offers no further enhancements or support for
these products."
Looking at the web site and seeing $49 for Borland Turbo C++, I wonder what
would that makes to Kylix sales if a Pro version would be released at $49
too and a bundle with Delphi 7 at $129 !
May be, it could make an incoming revenue stream for the Borland Kylix
division ! and pay a guy to integrate some patches and make it afloat.
But I believe, the best we can open for Kylix now is that it follows the
route of Interbase and become Open Source so that great developers like
there are in this newsgroup could take it to the next level.
Regards,
Oliver

Re:Borland Classic Products

"Some of our earlier products have become "Classics" - products that
continue to be in demand although they are no longer enhanced, supported
or marketed by Borland."
and
"Please note that Borland offers no further enhancements or support for
these products."
Looking at the web site and seeing $49 for Borland Turbo C++, I wonder what
would that make to Kylix sales if a Kylix 3 Pro version would be released
at $49 too and a bundle with Delphi 7 at $129 ! for cross-platform
development.
Borland could announce this on the Delphi and Kylix newsgroups and let the
developers interested into Kylix to vote with their $ <g>and show if they
want to support the Kylix project. Borland could also put it that way on
the newsgroups and tell that the revenue stream will go to update Kylix to
work better with current distro and solve patches. The more the money, the
more investment in Kylix.
It could make that incoming revenue stream for the Borland Kylix
division ! and pay a guy to integrate some patches and make it afloat. It
wouldn't cost Borland very much to start that and it would make more sales
to them at the end than leaving the product on the Classic page! Go
Borland, go... John K.? Sales idea for the management?
Regards,
Oliver

{smallsort}

[...]

work better with current distro and integrate patches. The more the money,
the more investment in Kylix.
It could make that incoming revenue stream for the Borland Kylix
division ! and pay a developer to integrate some patches and make it
afloat. It wouldn't cost Borland very much to start that and it would make
more sales to them at the end than leaving the product on the Classic page!
Go Borland, go... John K.? Sales idea for the management?
Regards,
Oliver

Re:Borland Classic Products

There was a line in a SciFi movie that goes "This {*word*75} is toast!" I
think it applies in this situation.
Kylix RIP.
Hür Akdülger wrote:
Did anybody visit Kylix Page in Borland's web site?
You can find it by following link:
www.borland.com/us/products/classic_products/index.html

They said,
"Some of our earlier products have become "Classics" - products that
continue to be in demand although they are no longer enhanced, supported or
marketed by Borland."
and
"Please note that Borland offers no further enhancements or support for
these products."

Could we say, this is end of the story?

Re:Borland Classic Products

Borland is non-profitable with Kylix but it has
not formally killed the product. Kylix does
useful things for some of us (but I still like
a OS/2 for some applications too). My company
sells boring business software where Linux servers
have been profitable but there has been NO
customer purchasing on the Linux workstation
side. Kylix still seems like a reasonable way
for the world to go. Unix stuff has a way of
hanging around forever doing useful work while
never looking all that attractive. That may
change - maybe that is why some of us hang on.
-- Mike Gallets, Giant Systems

Re:Borland Classic Products

Looks that way...
We need to start using Lazarus....
If all the Kylix guru's put there energy into Lazaurus/FPC and stop
wasting time with Kylix, Lazarus could be very desirable.
It's on the way, but needs help.

Could we say, this is end of the story?

--
Tony Caduto
www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Tony Caduto wrote:
If all the Kylix guru's put there energy into Lazaurus/FPC and stop
wasting time with Kylix, Lazarus could be very desirable. It's on the
way, but needs help.
They had their change to get me on board. Now I'm more interested in
CrossFPC than Lazarus.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Borland Classic Products

Hi Hür,
Could we say, this is end of the story?
It may be the end for Kylix support and future development of Kylix
itself, but I still use Kylix 3 (or rather Delphi 7 + CrossKylix with
the Kylix 3 stuff from the CD) to write and deploy some Linux web server
and web service applications for some of my clients.
So unlike so people's posts, to me the rumours of Kylix' death have been
greatly exaggerated ;-)
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Delphi 2005 PDF manuals available from www.drbob42.com/training

Hür Akdülger wrote:
Could we say, this is end of the story?
What ever happened with the "community effort" that was mentioned at the
last Borcon?
Cheers,
Kevin.

"Hür Akdülger" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Could we say, this is end of the story?
The story ended long ago.
Only a few diehards refuse to accept it.
They probably also think that the Titanic didnt sink.
--
Seek simplicity and mistrust it.
Alfred Whitehead

< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
They probably also think that the Titanic didnt sink.
What do you mean? This ship is unsinkable by design! <g>
Peter

Re:Borland Classic Products

Hi Rambam,
>Could we say, this is end of the story?

The story ended long ago.
Only a few diehards refuse to accept it.
Development and support of the Kylix product may have stopped, but that
doesn't end the life of projects done *with* Kylix. As I've said before,
I still develop and maintain a number of Linux web server and web
service projects written in Kylix 3 (Delphi 7 + CrossKylix). That would
not be possible without Kylix, and will continue for at least a few more
years...
They probably also think that the Titanic didnt sink.
AFAIK, there are only two certainties in life. The other one is that
[over here in The Netherlands] the earth is flat ;-)
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Delphi 2005 PDF manuals available from www.drbob42.com/training

Re:Borland Classic Products

How come they were not interested in your help?

Bob Swart wrote:
Development and support of the Kylix product may have stopped, but
that doesn't end the life of projects done with Kylix. As I've said
before, I still develop and maintain a number of Linux web server and
web service projects written in Kylix 3 (Delphi 7 + CrossKylix).
I still develop and maintain GUI apps written with Kylix 3 (D7 +
CrossKylix)
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]