Dell dips into Linux again

2004-10-28 09:27:17 AM
kylix1
Lets hope this 2nd look at Linux by Dell does not
go away as fast as it appeared.
Borland please employ more developers and rethink
your Kylix strat.
Pete.

Re:Dell dips into Linux again

Re:Dell dips into Linux again

Thats all very noble but Borland is a commerical enterprise, why would they
employ more
developers when kylix sales from version 1 have been pretty poor to the say
the least. I'm
not an M$ advocate in anyway shape or form (they do make *some* good stuff!)
but the
commercial reality for tool vendors and solution providers is that the
market and the money
is in Windows. I bought K1 and K3 and although they are great tools I havent
done a single
commercial offering with either.
Gary
"Pete" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Lets hope this 2nd look at Linux by Dell does not
go away as fast as it appeared.
Borland please employ more developers and rethink
your Kylix strat.
Pete.

{smallsort}

Re:Dell dips into Linux again

Here in the UK, I have noticed for the last 2 - 3 months that consumer
market PC vendors, like 'Tiny' are offering budget PC's with Linspire
installed. The adverti{*word*224}ts appeared in the consumer Computer World
mag. It also states on the adverti{*word*224}t 'It does not include Windows'
(for those who do not know what linux is <g>) for example:
www.tiny.com/packages.php
There are other vendors as well..
This is a major sign that Linux is becoming more of a mainstream
consumer alternative desktop OS.
Soon there won't be any need to post messages like this ;)
siegs

Gary Kind wrote:
Thats all very noble but Borland is a commerical enterprise, why would they
employ more
developers when kylix sales from version 1 have been pretty poor to the say
the least. I'm
not an M$ advocate in anyway shape or form (they do make *some* good stuff!)
but the
commercial reality for tool vendors and solution providers is that the
market and the money
is in Windows.
boring... we all know the 'lack of?' Kylix sales has more to do with the
quality, no official updates from Borland, lack of communication, etc,
than 'Linux'. However things have changed in the last few months and it
is looking better! See Kylix community project and Borland' involvement.
Delphi 2005 consumes/d all the Borland resources, I am sure there will
be a more 'official' Kylix update in some form or another in 2005.
I bought K1 and K3 and although they are great tools I havent
done a single commercial offering with either.
There are companies who do sell Kylix apps - I am a customer! It all
depends what you are trying to sell.
Remember Kylix can also be used for in-house software development. Kylix
can still be regarded as a top Linux RAD tool especially for Delphi
developers.
The more boxes that are shipping with Linux the better commercial
success you may get from your Kylix apps :)
Your app may just be at the right place at the right time. Be prepared.
You may also want evaluate the license you wish to use?
Good fortunes to all of us :)
siegs

"Gary Kind" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Thats all very noble but Borland is a commerical enterprise, why would
they
employ more
developers when kylix sales from version 1 have been pretty poor to the
say
the least. I'm
not an M$ advocate in anyway shape or form (they do make *some* good
stuff!)
but the
commercial reality for tool vendors and solution providers is that the
market and the money
is in Windows. I bought K1 and K3 and although they are great tools I
havent
done a single
commercial offering with either.

Gary sorry Sir but you have lost the plot.
Dell is the Worlds biggest PC dealer and
if people keep thinking like you the only
software Dell Linux box owners will load
is the Win OS.
Pete