Fedora 3 and Kylix 3

2006-03-13 04:21:36 AM
kylix0
I have spent hours on the internet looking for solutions to this problem and
trying them. Nothing works. The problem and symptom is the same whether
using the menu icon or the command line from a terminal window -
startdelphi. Kylix will not start. If the attempt is the first time since
the machine has been started there is about 7 seconds of disk activity and
then nothing. No errors that I can see. If tried from the command line the
prompt comes back when the disk activity stops. If tried again some disk
activity and the prompt comes back in 3 seconds. The install seemed to go
just fine and Kylix is registered. What little I have tried it Kylix 3 seems
to work with Red Hat 9 without any changes.
I have made various suggested changes in
startdelphi
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
LC_ALL
export LC_ALL
PATH
I even tried the patches from the Unofficial Patches site.
Using Kylix 3 Enterprise
Fedora Core 3
Linux version 2.6.9-1
RedHat 3.4.2-6.fc3
PC is a P2 400MHZ with 256MB of ram
thanks in advance
ron

Re:Fedora 3 and Kylix 3

read theo's page below, the part for Mandrake/Mandriva.
did you try the
echo 1>/proc/sys/vm/legacy_va_layout
thing?
www.theo.ch/kylix/suse10.html
Ron Schultz wrote:
[...]

You may also want to try this:
crosskylix.untergrund.net/execshield.shtml
Apply patchelf on the kylix IDE binary (sorry, forgot what its filename is,
see the startkylix script). If FC3 is running a kernel with exec-shield, then
probably the IDE is affected by it, too. (I've seen a post somewhere from a
FC3 user that reported success after applying my patchelf fix, IIRC).
Simon

{smallsort}

Re:Fedora 3 and Kylix 3

Kylix (Delphi) now starts. What seemed to fix it was
/etc/sysctl.conf
vm.legacy_va_layout = 1
trying to compile causes Delphi to hang. I assume I do not have an older
compiler. I have seen some suggestions on how to get a compatable compiler.
If anyone has any additional suggestions, especially a list of changes they
needed to make to get Kylix 3 to work with Fedora.
ron

Re:Fedora 3 and Kylix 3

Ron Schultz wrote:
trying to compile causes Delphi to hang. I assume I do not have an older
compiler. I have seen some suggestions on how to get a compatable
compiler.
Do you have installed the ptrace_interposer patch?
(www.theo.ch/kylix/suse10.html)
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen