Re: Kylix dead - Borland to sell developer tools

2006-02-21 07:23:23 PM
kylix2

My first fear was MS coming in, buying up the technology and then, poof,
it's ALL gone.

trane
It certainly would be scary should MS buy up the whole lot.
The question is, if MS makes an offer, would(can?) Borland refuse
or take it up?
I really hope it doesn't come to that.
Edmund

Re:Re: Kylix dead - Borland to sell developer tools

Edmund wrote:

>My first fear was MS coming in, buying up the technology and then,
>poof, it's ALL gone.
>
>trane
It certainly would be scary should MS buy up the whole lot.

The question is, if MS makes an offer, would(can?) Borland refuse
or take it up?
Or, would MS be /allowed/ to buy them.
--
www.mailtrap.org.uk/

Re:Re: Kylix dead - Borland to sell developer tools

Edmund schrubte am Dienstag 21 Februar 2006 12:23:
It certainly would be scary should MS buy up the whole lot.
Why they should do this? They already have the best people from borland (you
know about the man who "invented" delphi and is now working on c# ?).
And have a look at the latest visual-anything-IDE (except visual web), there
is not that much difference to the latest BDS.
regards, Jens
--
Die oben angegebene Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Wenn direkter
Mailkontakt gewŁnscht wird, bitte spamtrap gegen jens<punkt>nixdorf

{smallsort}

On 2006-02-09, Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>At 11:44:50, 09.02.2006, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>

>>(Of course this assumes the buyer will really exploit the tools, and not
>>kill them, and integrate the remains in some own technology; that is the
>>positive part)
>
>I'm sure they will carefully choose a buyer which won't do that.

There won't be _that_ many buyers, so there might not be a choice.

Possibilities could be Apple and Novell. From the major players, these seem
to have no good toolchain/IDE of their own (XCode is a joke), and Apple is
good in the cashdepartment atm.

Why not Microsoft? They'll be glad to outbid other proposals to buy the
Borland IDE products, then kill it off, and sell their MS products to
the Borland developers at a discount. Just like Symantec did to Sygate.
The customer lists are probably more valuable than the products themselves.
Sam

On 2006-03-04, Sam Remek < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>There won't be _that_ many buyers, so there might not be a choice.
>
>Possibilities could be Apple and Novell. From the major players, these seem
>to have no good toolchain/IDE of their own (XCode is a joke), and Apple is
>good in the cashdepartment atm.

Why not Microsoft? They'll be glad to outbid other proposals to buy the
Borland IDE products, then kill it off, and sell their MS products to
the Borland developers at a discount.
And a direct ticket to a new trial. Moreover, Borlands tools business is
already declining, and MS' is booming. IMHO those dollars spent on their own
tools will fortify their position more than buying out Borland.
Just like Symantec did to Sygate. The customer lists are probably more
valuable than the products themselves.
I don't rule it out, since you never know, but I don't think it would have
been for sale publically if it were that obvious.