Re: first Qt3Clx screenshot

2005-03-05 12:41:12 AM
kylix0
Ryan Mills wrote:
>You probably have to purchase a QT license from trolltech..

You only have to purchase a QT license from TrollTech if you
are doing closed source developement for windows.

They've recently changed their licencing for windows to allow
GPL'd use on the Windows platform.
If anyone is using Qt3clx for closed source whether on Linux or windows,
they will have to buy a licence. The Kylix Qt licence is only for that
version shipped with Kylix.

Re:Re: first Qt3Clx screenshot

You only have to purchase a QT license from TrollTech if you
are doing closed source developement for windows.

They've recently changed their licencing for windows to allow
GPL'd use on the Windows platform.
As the formular designer uses the underlying QT library when designing
CLX applications but the Delphi source is not available under GPL I fear
that you need a license.
Even if this is not the case (I don't know how Andreas actually
implemented the QT3 CLX) not everyone likes to publish his/her programs
under GPL.
BTW: You are restricted to FreeCLX components (== no db) when using this
CLX version without license from trolltech.
Willi

Willibald Krenn wrote:
As the formular designer uses the underlying QT library when designing
CLX applications but the Delphi source is not available under GPL I fear
that you need a license.
The Delphi Designer still uses Qt 2. But the compiler compiles against
Qt3Clx.
Even if this is not the case (I don't know how
Andreas actually implemented the QT3 CLX) not everyone likes to publish
his/her programs under GPL.
Maybe I should write a TCP-Qt3 Server and a TCP-CLX-Client to overcome the
GPL restrictions :-) (no I wont do this: to much work, slow and problems
with pointer parameters).
BTW: You are restricted to FreeCLX components (== no db) when using this
CLX version without license from trolltech.
That's true.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

{smallsort}

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:31:56 +0100, Willibald Krenn < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
As the formular designer uses the underlying QT library when designing
CLX applications but the Delphi source is not available under GPL I fear
that you need a license.
I don't know about that, I'd have to do somemore reading about it first.
Even if this is not the case (I don't know how Andreas actually
implemented the QT3 CLX) not everyone likes to publish his/her programs
under GPL.
This is true, but if your under windows why use the QT stuff in the first place?
I could see if your coming from linux where it would be good, but otherwise
why would you want to?
BTW: You are restricted to FreeCLX components (== no db) when using this
CLX version without license from trolltech.
So what? You cant find a third-party DB compatable set of QT components?
I haven't had need for QT under windows do I haven't looked, but surely
someone has created such a beast.
Ryan.

Ryan Mills wrote:
>Even if this is not the case (I don't know how Andreas actually
>implemented the QT3 CLX) not everyone likes to publish his/her
>programs under GPL.

This is true, but if your under windows why use the QT stuff in the
first place?
And I develop Qt3Clx under Windows because Delphi doesn't crash every two
minutes as Kylix does.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Ryan Mills schrieb:
not everyone likes to publish his/her programs
>under GPL.

This is true, but if your under windows why use the QT stuff in the first place?
Because VCL does not compile on Kylix? But anyways: The same (not
everyone wants to use GPL) is also true for Linux.
>BTW: You are restricted to FreeCLX components

So what? You cant find a third-party DB compatable set of QT components?
A clx compatible GPLed third party DB component set?! Good luck. (We're
not talking about QT components here, as they would require a clx
compatible wrapper first.)
But worse: Freeclx also lacks important other parts of the commercial
CLX: No web, no soap, no db, ... In short: Most of the RAD power is
missing. (IIRC not even all visual controls are available.)
That's also the reason why I dislike this "community project" - if it
ever takes off.
I haven't had need for QT under windows do I haven't looked, but surely
someone has created such a beast.
It's not about Windows.
In order to use the full power of Kylix with this patch you need a QT
license. No way around that.
Borland should have chosen GTK in the first place,
Willi

Re:Re: first Qt3Clx screenshot

At the moment I can not see any reasonable need for the Qt3Clx. What we
need is a powerful Kylix 4 compiler. Correct?
"Andreas Hausladen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
The first Qt3Clx screenshot. The Qt3 port of CLX is source compatible but
not binary compatible. So if I ever release a useable version of Qt3Clx
you must recompile all your 3rd party components.

unvclx.sourceforge.net/other/ClxQt3.png

Converted files:
QTypes
QClipbrd
QPrinter
QGraphics
QControls
QForms
QMenus
QStdCtrls
QExtCtrls
QImgList
QGrids
QButtons
QActnList
QStyle (Qt 3 has a completely different QStyle class, all functionality is
disabled except for predefined theme selection)

QComCtrls is started but blocked by incompatibilites between Qt 2 and 3
QDialogs depends on QComCtrls
QFileCtrls depends on QComCtrls
QDB* some depend on QComCtrls

But keep in mind Qt3Clx can only be GPL as long as you do not own a valid
Kylix/Delphi version. And even then you must by a Qt licence for Qt 3
(Borland C++ Compiler)

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen

Max wrote:
At the moment I can not see any reasonable need for the Qt3Clx. What we
need is a powerful Kylix 4 compiler. Correct?

IMO in rank of importance (1. is highest)
1. CLX - VCL compatibility
2. stable uptodate Kylix IDE which can also be enhanced with GExperts
for example.
3. CLX QT3/4 (with QT license from Borland like for QT2 with Kylix -
requires Kylix 4)
4. Delphi 2005 syntax compatible Kylix compiler
5. 64bit Kylix Compiler - At least for on the server end for now and
will make Kylix feasible for the next 10 ? years.
siegs

Re:Re: first Qt3Clx screenshot

ack

Max schrieb:
At the moment I can not see any reasonable need for the Qt3Clx. What we
need is a powerful Kylix 4 compiler. Correct?

As soon as somebody is doing something, there is someone who says: we
don't need this, we need that.
Do you thinks this is clever?
What is a "Kylix 4 compiler" btw? I guess the compiler is the best part
of it. If there's one thing that doesn't need an urgent update, then
it's the compiler.

Re:Re: first Qt3Clx screenshot

I might disagree about 2-5, but you are certainly right about CLX-VCL
compatibility being the most important.

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
The first Qt3Clx screenshot. The Qt3 port of CLX is source compatible but
not binary compatible. So if I ever release a useable version of Qt3Clx
you must recompile all your 3rd party components.
I have written several my own components and modifyed TCustomDBGrid
component. Will it be hard to swhitch to Qt3? I do not use low level API
much.

Jon wrote:
I have written several my own components and modifyed TCustomDBGrid
component. Will it be hard to swhitch to Qt3? I do not use low level API
much.
As long as you do not use the Qt unit directly there shouldn't be that
many problems.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: first Qt3Clx screenshot

Many issues are solved now.
- BitBtn works
- CheckListBox uses the Qt3 style for the checkboxes
- FillRect does no more include right and bottom.
- TBitmap.LoadFromStream works.
- Unofficial VisualCLX patch 3.8.1 "applied"
- many other fixes and extensions.
New screenshot:
unvclx.sourceforge.net/other/ClxQt3.png
The QComCtrls.pas is still not completely converted and so all depending
units like QDialogs, QFileCtrls, QDBCtrls.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: first Qt3Clx screenshot