Re: Installing Kylix. 1 Step

2003-11-15 06:59:56 AM
kylix1
Clément Doss wrote:
I would like to install kylix on my machine (Win2k dual boot).
Use an old supported distribution like SuSE 7.3, RedHat 8, Mandrake 8.
Kylix 3 has problems with newer versions.
--
Regards
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: Installing Kylix. 1 Step

Hi,
I would like to install kylix on my machine (Win2k dual boot).
But I don't know what version of linux would be better.
I have tried Red hat, but I got no luck. I downloaded from the web and the second CD
is buggy. Is red hat the best way to go? Where can I download a good copy of RedHat?
If redhad isn't the way to go, then which linux should I use?
Best regards,
Clément

Re:Re: Installing Kylix. 1 Step

Clement:
I now have Slackware 9.1 working with Kylix 3 Enterprise - tested on two
very different machines.
Kernel 2.4.22 with patches from Slackware. The installation is not as
pretty as the SuSe distribution - but it works fine. I could not get
SuSe 8.2 working as well as I would like.
See my notes in the distro compatibility forum.
See the Site that Andreas publishes for necessary patches if you want to
use C++, and fix the Delphi VCL.
Clément Doss wrote:

I would like to install kylix on my machine (Win2k dual boot).

But I don't know what version of linux would be better.
I have tried Red hat, but I got no luck. I downloaded from the web and
the second CD is buggy. Is red hat the best way to go? Where can I
download a good copy of RedHat?

If redhad isn't the way to go, then which linux should I use?

Best regards,
Clément

--
Dave

{smallsort}

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Clément Doss wrote:

>I would like to install kylix on my machine (Win2k dual boot).

Use an old supported distribution like SuSE 7.3, RedHat 8, Mandrake 8.
Kylix 3 has problems with newer versions.

Not if you use the patches. I use Kylix 3 with SuSE 9.0 with no problem.
--
Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
then it's time to upgrade to Linux.

Michel Catudal wrote:
Andreas Hausladen wrote:

>Clément Doss wrote:
>

>>I would like to install kylix on my machine (Win2k dual boot).
>
>Use an old supported distribution like SuSE 7.3, RedHat 8, Mandrake 8.
>Kylix 3 has problems with newer versions.

Not if you use the patches. I use Kylix 3 with SuSE 9.0 with no problem.

Works well with Libranet 2.8.1, a Debian based distro, very up to date.