Re: real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

2004-03-06 11:39:51 PM
kylix0
Michael Schnell wrote:
>Microsoft will back
>Borland's .NET tools while IBM will back Borland's "Unix" tools. This will
>include Java, C++ and "DelphiX".

Why should IBM not back Borland's .NET tools with a decent open source
MONO that might evolve with IBM's sponsoring ? (Just a dream...)

-Michael
like you said a very big dream...
because ibm become linux power... and .net it's a ms technology....
i think ibm is more oriented like any other company on java
--
Borland rulez pages.infinit.net/borland

Re:Re: real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

Marc Collin wrote:
because ibm become linux power... and .net it's a ms technology....
i think ibm is more oriented like any other company on java

Correct!! Why NET anyway, I mean really?
Java is here, works today, has more industry wide support, runs on darn near
everything, etc.
NET is basically an MS only technology, as far as compatibility goes. Mono
can make their own and MS will make their own. So, NET becomes, a "write it
here and run it here", or "write it there and run it there" choice.
Forgive me, but I really do not see the value in that. If that IS the point,
why not just stick to C++, or something similar, where you have to contend
with incompatibility issues? That is not an issue with Java.
I think that those who are COUNTING on a MS and MONO compatible NET are
going to be sorely disappointed. There is no NET committee at MS, for
including other non MS employees to determine the future and direction of
NET, no one outside Microsoft who has access to the MS.NET source code, at
least that I am aware of. That is not true with Java. Look at all of the
people (individually) and companies that are part of the JCP...
(Note: you will have to a do a lot of clicking :). They are all
alphabetitized.)
www.jcp.org/en/participation/members/