Hi folks, glad Kylix is alive and well!

2004-08-18 12:26:37 AM
kylix1
Well, here you all are!
I did wonder - hence I started that "roll-call" thread in b.p.k.opensource.
I'm glad to see that people are still using this product - I still like it
and it suits me down to the ground.
I'll be residing here from now on and deleting the other Kylix groups from
my newsreader as they're just wasting space. I presume you have no problems
here posting topics which are off-topic from "non-technical"?
If no-one objects to the idea, I would propose to email Borland and ask if
they could perhaps consolidate the old groups to this one?
Not that they're likely to reply but you never know.
Anyway, I'm glad I finally found a spot where you lot all hang out.
Dean

Re:Hi folks, glad Kylix is alive and well!

Dean wrote:
Anyway, I'm glad I finally found a spot where you lot all hang out.
That's a general rule for all Borland product lines. The
*.non-technical groups are the most popular because they're the
general-purpose groups. I guess this is especially true for Kylix
because it has a smaller percentage of users vs say Delphi.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:Hi folks, glad Kylix is alive and well!

Dean,
if you're happy with the product, perhaps you could help me
out. I'm currently using Mandrake 10 & want to use kylix ( C++ ), how
do you install kylix on the more recent distos?
What distribution/version are you using?
I have seen in other places instructions to get kylix running on
various distros but haven't had a great deal of luck. A definitive
"This is how you do it A-Z" would be *really* useful.
TIA
Bob
Well, here you all are!

I did wonder - hence I started that "roll-call" thread in b.p.k.opensource.

I'm glad to see that people are still using this product - I still like it
and it suits me down to the ground.

I'll be residing here from now on and deleting the other Kylix groups from
my newsreader as they're just wasting space. I presume you have no problems
here posting topics which are off-topic from "non-technical"?

If no-one objects to the idea, I would propose to email Borland and ask if
they could perhaps consolidate the old groups to this one?

Not that they're likely to reply but you never know.

Anyway, I'm glad I finally found a spot where you lot all hang out.

Dean

{smallsort}

Dean schrieb:
Well, here you all are!

I did wonder - hence I started that "roll-call" thread in b.p.k.opensource.

I'm glad to see that people are still using this product - I still like it
and it suits me down to the ground.

I'll be residing here from now on and deleting the other Kylix groups from
my newsreader as they're just wasting space. I presume you have no problems
here posting topics which are off-topic from "non-technical"?

If no-one objects to the idea, I would propose to email Borland and ask if
they could perhaps consolidate the old groups to this one?

Not that they're likely to reply but you never know.

Anyway, I'm glad I finally found a spot where you lot all hang out.

Dean

If you shouldn't know: Jos?León has done some more work these days with
his XPde www.xpde.com/
It's a desktop manager completely written with Kylix.
I'm still improving my MP3 Player (Kylix) using Andrei Borovsky's
Components or if you wish, the external player xmms
It's capable (database wise) of handling 300GB (currently tested) of MP3
(ID3) data without noticeable delay in retrieving data.
It can display Images like Apple's iTunes. People using it already say
it's faster than iTunes in reading in
data and equally fast or faster in searching.
Screenshot here: www.theo.ch/kylix/mp3.png

theo wrote:
I'm still improving my MP3 Player (Kylix) using Andrei Borovsky's
Components or if you wish, the external player xmms
It's capable (database wise) of handling 300GB (currently tested) of MP3
(ID3) data without noticeable delay in retrieving data.
It can display Images like Apple's iTunes. People using it already say
it's faster than iTunes in reading in
data and equally fast or faster in searching.
Screenshot here: www.theo.ch/kylix/mp3.png
Where is this?? I tried your link above but it doesn't work.
Thanks,
Kevin.

Re:Hi folks, glad Kylix is alive and well!

Hi Theo,
I'm still improving my MP3 Player (Kylix) using Andrei Borovsky's
Components or if you wish, the external player xmms
AB's suite looks very good - I'll be having a play with it at some point.
One thing I'd like to do is port the GSM6.10 codec over to it (useful for
VoIP related stuff).
Anyone know if that's already been done? If not, it's a task I don't
especially look forward to ;-)

Kevin schrieb:
theo wrote:

>I'm still improving my MP3 Player (Kylix) using Andrei Borovsky's
>Components or if you wish, the external player xmms
>It's capable (database wise) of handling 300GB (currently tested) of
>MP3 (ID3) data without noticeable delay in retrieving data.
>It can display Images like Apple's iTunes. People using it already say
>it's faster than iTunes in reading in
>data and equally fast or faster in searching.
>Screenshot here: www.theo.ch/kylix/mp3.png

Where is this?? I tried your link above but it doesn't work.

Thanks,
Kevin.
Sorry for replying late.
It's here www.theo.ch/kylix/preview.png
But it's not ready yet,
There are some problems with the built-in Player, because it cannot play
some files (about 2%) but I don't know the reason. Maybe Andrei could
find out. For this reason, there's a xmms-mode too.
The source code is a little messy. I'd say it's a 0.70 Version.
And I'd like to hand out a 1.0 Version.

theo wrote:
Kevin schrieb:
>theo wrote:
>
>>I'm still improving my MP3 Player (Kylix) using Andrei Borovsky's
>>Components or if you wish, the external player xmms
>>It's capable (database wise) of handling 300GB (currently tested) of
>>MP3 (ID3) data without noticeable delay in retrieving data.
>>It can display Images like Apple's iTunes. People using it already say
>>it's faster than iTunes in reading in
>>data and equally fast or faster in searching.
>>Screenshot here: www.theo.ch/kylix/mp3.png
>

>Where is this?? I tried your link above but it doesn't work.
>
>Thanks,
>Kevin.

Sorry for replying late.
It's here www.theo.ch/kylix/preview.png
But it's not ready yet,
There are some problems with the built-in Player, because it cannot play
some files (about 2%) but I don't know the reason. Maybe Andrei could
Possible problems can be caused by VBR mp3's.

zeljko wrote:
Possible problems can be caused by VBR mp3's.
Yip! I recently had a problem with VBR MP3s produced by SoundForge
where even Winamp couldn't detect the song length properly and my CD
burning software screwed up by placing "echos" after each of the tracks
(weird). Then Winamp released an update that appeared to fix this. VBR
MP3s seem to cause problems because there are so many different
variations in the coding of them (I think).
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:Hi folks, glad Kylix is alive and well!

Hi,
The screenshot looks really good. For a change someone created a decent
looking Kylix app! What custom component are you using for the Treeview
and the listview....Virtual Treeview?
Regards,
- Graeme -

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
What custom component are you using for the Treeview
and the listview....Virtual Treeview?

Bingo! www.soft-gems.net/VirtualTreeview/VT.php

Re:Hi folks, glad Kylix is alive and well!

Please direct your browser at info.borland.com/newsgroups/ and read
the newsgroup guidelines. One of them asks us not to quote entire posts we
are following up to; instead, please trim the quotes to the parts relevant
for your reply. Thanks!