I need understand about linux development....

2003-11-14 03:37:15 AM
kylix0
Ok, first a possitive thing
www.linuxinsider.com/perl/story/32110.html, about Thai doing a
massive instalation of linux. I can see this trend in noso-rich
countrys, so maybe Borland must take note :)
But then, because nothing is the glory, i read this:
www.osnews.com/story.php
Is about how the complicated dependencies in a component requiere a mass
compilation for going to x.1 to x.2 version. Yes i know that this can be
a fault of this distribution but i need to know , for do vertical
aplications is IMPOSSIBLE or is VERY DIFFCULT or what, for do a
"compact" aplication (i.e. like when with delphi you build all inside
the exe, copy&run, so if i care about what components use, i don't need
worry about OS, IE, COM, etc... version) is possible the same in
linux??? depend of distribution???

Re:I need understand about linux development....

mamcx wrote:
Ok, first a possitive thing
www.linuxinsider.com/perl/story/32110.html, about Thai doing a
massive instalation of linux. I can see this trend in noso-rich
countrys, so maybe Borland must take note :)

But then, because nothing is the glory, i read this:
www.osnews.com/story.php

Is about how the complicated dependencies in a component requiere a mass
compilation for going to x.1 to x.2 version. Yes i know that this can be
a fault of this distribution but i need to know , for do vertical
aplications is IMPOSSIBLE or is VERY DIFFCULT or what, for do a
"compact" aplication (i.e. like when with delphi you build all inside
the exe, copy&run, so if i care about what components use, i don't need
worry about OS, IE, COM, etc... version) is possible the same in
linux??? depend of distribution???
Since Borland is using the QT Widget sets, there is no way that I know of,
to do a statically linked build, since the QT libs are used outside of the
Kylix evvironment. I can see why Borland would do this, for future updates
to new QT libs, but the answer in short, would be (and someone feel free to
correct me if I am wrong here), would be no;-- you cannot create a
statically linked bin file by including all dependencies in the build.
You can however, create an RPM that would contain all of the libs required
for your distribution. However, this might be a massive rpm, but needed if
you do not know what your customers environments are like. Even here, other
issues would arise, such as what XWindows version do they have installed,
etc. Unfortunately, in the Unix world, most apps are dynamically linked at
runtime, or install time, and libs in one packages are dependent upon
others. In other words the QT libs are dependent upon the Xlibs and the
Glibs as well per versions. This is another reason why we use Java for
building our apps. Using Java, Python, Perl, you are responsible only for
the runtimes, it is up to these runtimes to determine what is needed.
Generally, if you are marketing a specific market, a good suggestion is to
make sure the requirements are well understood beforehand. Another good
thing to do, is to include a make file as a part of your distribution. Make
surethat needed libs can be located and auto installed or updated as
needed. This can be done via CD or internet site.
If you stay within the same general groups (ie KDE 3.0, XWindows 4.x), you
should have an easy time of getting the Linux program to work correctly,
with a RPM. If you are attempting to target all Linux platforms, from QT
1.0, XWindows 2.x, etc. things will get much more difficult.

"mamcx" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Is about how the complicated dependencies in a component requiere a mass
compilation for going to x.1 to x.2 version.
You are wrong. There are no compatibility issues with Linux. Linux is
perfect just the way it is. Anyone who says otherwise is just spreading
FUD.
I know this is true because I read it in this newsgroup.

{smallsort}

Re:I need understand about linux development....

You are wrong. There are no compatibility issues with Linux. Linux is
perfect just the way it is.
I would'nt go that far :)

Re:I need understand about linux development....

"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
[..]
Linux perfect?
I don't know what's funnier: JQP's sarcasm or people missing it <G>

JQP wrote:
You are wrong. There are no compatibility issues with Linux. Linux is
perfect just the way it is.
Linux perfect? Hardly, but the important thing it that Linux is
improving every day and more and more people are using it. If it is
good enough for E*Trade Finantial Corporation and its 3.5 million
customers it is good enough. Don't you think?
E*Trade Finantial Chooses IBM Software Running on Linux to Support
Cross-Selling Efforts
biz.yahoo.com/iw/031106/059666.html

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Is about how the complicated dependencies in a component requiere a mass
>compilation for going to x.1 to x.2 version.

You are wrong. There are no compatibility issues with Linux. Linux is
perfect just the way it is. Anyone who says otherwise is just spreading
FUD.

I know this is true because I read it in this newsgroup.
LOL!
--
Hilton Evans
ChemPen Chemical Structure Software

Re:I need understand about linux development....

And i know that, by default, i'm MUST be wrong when i don't know
something (i'm downlading my FIRST linux -hope that finish toda-, i want
develop for that plataform but obvious i don't have experience), for
this reason i ask here and not to a MS developer :). I don't want spread
FUD, because i want linux&kylyk succes because can cause a BIG impact in
my maket...
Because that, the article www.osnews.com/story.php
cause me to think...i know that in windows development exist a lot of
dependencies, like "for this app, becuase use this component, install
MTS under Win NT4 or Win9x, or setup COM+, then install IE6, etc..." but
not need compilation (compile a app in customer site sound extrange to
me , but if is easy, or equal dificult to a normal setup&config in
windows, then ok). I think that can be safe play for
RedHat,Suse,Connectiva (popular in latin america) and maybe lindows, so
if with that RPM packages (a sort of windows installer) i need put
anything, then anyway, the same i do in windows...
Thanks for the advise...

Re:I need understand about linux development....

"mamcx" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
i need put anything, then anyway, the same i do in windows...
That's it --- it's just like Windows.
Good luck.

Re:I need understand about linux development....

mamcx wrote:
[...]
Because that, the article www.osnews.com/story.php
cause me to think...i know that in windows development exist a lot of
dependencies, like "for this app, becuase use this component, install
MTS under Win NT4 or Win9x, or setup COM+, then install IE6, etc..." but
not need compilation (compile a app in customer site sound extrange to
me, but if is easy, or equal dificult to a normal setup&config in
windows, then ok).
It is usual way how things work in Linux. You got something for free, then
spend your own time and money.