kylix 3.0 and the 2.6 kernel

2004-01-28 03:03:06 AM
kylix1
I am running Red Hat Fedora 1 on two machines with both the 2.4.22 and
the 2.6.1 kernels.
The Kylix 3 C++ compiler definitely does not work with the 2.6.1
kernel. I have Kylix PRO installed.
If I boot with the 2.4.22 kernel the C++ compiler works ( although the
GUI still occassionally hangs up requiring a KILL to exit )
If I boot up with the 2.6.1 kernel Kylix ( bcblin ) starts up fine ,
edits projects and compiles source modules. However, when I select build
/ link the bcblin application exits with the following error message :
bcblin ../vmem.c: 90 : autosetlast error : Assertion "!Bad error code "
failed
If I start up the delphi compiler , I can build the sample programs OK
with both the 2.4.22 and the 2.6.1 kernels.
Unfortunately , I know only C and C++ and don't currently do Delphi.
It appears that must kylix users are building Delphi applications.
I have been waiting for three years to get a Linux version of Borland
C++ builder.
Linux will not go far as a desktop computer until someone develops a
really good rapid application development GUI builder that works with
both Windows and Linux.
I have tried C++BuilderX.
This is a Java based GUI front end for the Linux gcc compiler.
It seems OK , but it has absolutely no GUI development tools ( only
console apps )
I also have Borland Jbuilder installed. This will build both Windows
and Linux Java GUI programs. So far I don't do Java either.
It should be feasible to build Java based GUI front ends using Borland
Jbuilder and use C++BuilderX to build DLL's and back ground support
libraries that could be linked to the Java.
Some day perhaps I will have time to figure it all out.
In any case it seems like Kylix has been abandoned by Borland with no
indication that they will ever fix it or release a newer version.
I have been waiting since October 2002 for a Borland patch or update to
Kylix 3. I have heard nothing to suggest that this will ever happen.
If borland is not going to fix/support Kylix , they should abandon it
entirely and give the source code to the Linux Open Source development
group so that someone else can fix it.

Re:kylix 3.0 and the 2.6 kernel

Ron Nave wrote:

Linux will not go far as a desktop computer until someone develops a
really good rapid application development GUI builder that works with
both Windows and Linux.

As it stands, we have Kylix 3 (C++) and C++ Builder which, if used together,
provide a GUI Builder that works on both Windows and Linux, and which can
be made to compile the same source code with only a very small amount of
conditionally compiled code.. Many people have said that Kylix has flaws /
bugs, but for some applications these can be worked around.
It would have been nice if C++ BuilderX had improved the situation. Instead,
it simply takes away the GUI builder altogether. Very disappointing.
I think that the open source Lazarus project looks interesting as a possible
way forward. This essentially provides a Delphi environment on platforms
including Linux and Windows.
Currently it does not support C++, but I think that it could probably be
made to do so. If so, then it might be possible to migrate C++ Builder
projects to Lazarus.

If borland is not going to fix/support Kylix , they should abandon it
entirely and give the source code to the Linux Open Source development
group so that someone else can fix it.
This might even make commercial sense. If the open source product could be
used with C++ Builder X, then C++ BuilderX might become a product that
people would actually want to buy.
--
Chris Gordon-Smith
London

Re:kylix 3.0 and the 2.6 kernel

Ron Nave wrote:

If I start up the delphi compiler , I can build the sample programs OK
with both the 2.4.22 and the 2.6.1 kernels.

The Kylix C++ version was broke from the very start, actually. Really BAD,
and personally, I do not think Borland should have never release it as it
was.
Unfortunately , I know only C and C++ and don't currently do Delphi.

Understand.
It appears that must kylix users are building Delphi applications.

Probably.
I have been waiting for three years to get a Linux version of Borland
C++ builder.

I would think we can pretty well assume, you will NEVER get it <G>. Kylix
users are not the only BCB folks that feel slighted either. Just look atthe
BCB posts.
Linux will not go far as a desktop computer until someone develops a
really good rapid application development GUI builder that works with
both Windows and Linux.

Actually, there are several of them. Personally, I prefer Java, but there
are also:
Visual TCL
KDevelop and QT Designer.
Black Adder for Python
I have tried C++BuilderX.

Promises to be a good product, if it is ever completed. I feel it is
definitely on the right track.
This is a Java based GUI front end for the Linux gcc compiler.

It seems OK , but it has absolutely no GUI development tools ( only
console apps )

Actually, there is GCJ, but it does not support the Swing API. so you would
be stuck with AWT only.
I also have Borland Jbuilder installed. This will build both Windows
and Linux Java GUI programs. So far I don't do Java either.

Might be time to learn <G>. JBuilder (Java) applications will run on
Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris completely unchanged, unless you are making
machine/OS specific calls.
C++ programmers should not have a real difficult time switching to Java. The
major differences are learning the libs and calls that are different and
losing the "pointers" <G>.
Look at www.computer-logic.net/javadelphi/ for a VCL/Java quick start
tutorial.
It should be feasible to build Java based GUI front ends using Borland
Jbuilder and use C++BuilderX to build DLL's and back ground support
libraries that could be linked to the Java.
You can do this, through JNI. However, I would question why you wanted to do
this, unless you are needing to talk to the OS directly or some hardware
device.
If that IS your need, xplatform will be much harder to achieve. However, you
might want to look at Excelsior-jet site. They have a java lib that makes
it much easier to communicate with C/C++ and even Delphi than the standard
JNI libs.
www.excelsior-usa.com/jet.html

{smallsort}

Re:kylix 3.0 and the 2.6 kernel

pnichols wrote:
[...]
Might be time to learn <G>. JBuilder (Java) applications will run on
Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris completely unchanged, unless you are making
machine/OS specific calls.
And *still* feel awkward on all of them, I might add.
C++ programmers should not have a real difficult time switching to Java. The
major differences are learning the libs and calls that are different and
losing the "pointers" <G>.
Look at www.computer-logic.net/javadelphi/ for a VCL/Java quick start
tutorial.
Pointers, and templates, and multiple inheritance, and free functions.
Why should I want to program with one hand tied behind my back?
Cheers,
--
Nicola Musatti
Team Thai Kingdom

Re:kylix 3.0 and the 2.6 kernel

Pointers, and templates, and multiple inheritance, and free functions.
Why should I want to program with one hand tied behind my back?
Cheers,
Nicola Musatti
Team Thai Kingdom
Because you have a loser manager?

Re:kylix 3.0 and the 2.6 kernel

Nicola Musatti wrote:
pnichols wrote:
[...]
>Might be time to learn <G>. JBuilder (Java) applications will run on
>Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris completely unchanged, unless you are making
>machine/OS specific calls.

And *still* feel awkward on all of them, I might add.

Not if you use the right Look and Feels, or use SWT.
>C++ programmers should not have a real difficult time switching to Java.
>The major differences are learning the libs and calls that are different
>and losing the "pointers" <G>.
>Look at www.computer-logic.net/javadelphi/ for a VCL/Java quick start
>tutorial.

Pointers, and templates, and multiple inheritance, and free functions.
Why should I want to program with one hand tied behind my back?

OK, why are Pointers so important to you? Does it make a difference whether
you are accessing pointers directly or the VM does this for you?
Frankly pointers are one of the most frquent source of bugs and memory leaks
in C/C++ pogramming. Personally I do not miss them <G>. In lower level
programming, yes I can see where they are beneficial.
Templates, I can agree with. However, you can accomplish the same objective
with an abstract class. Admittedly it takes more work and is nearly as easy
to implement as in C++. Generics will be introduced in the next JDK
release, so I guess neither you or I are alone in wishing for this
functionality :)
Multiple inheritance is accomplished through interfaces. Again, a little
more work, but can accomplish the same objective. Actually cleaner in most
cases.
Please understand, I am not advocating using Java exclusively for all types
of programming. There are times when C/C++ is a better choice and times
where Java is a better choice. It all depends upon what task(s) you are
asked to perform.