Trolltech, Borland and QT library

2003-10-14 01:48:50 AM
kylix2
(Sorry for the dupe, somehow I posted it orginally as a reply in a different
thread instead of a new msg)
Is there any way to get rid of the Kylix QT library dependency? Relying on
it is like giving your app a free ball and chain with the purchase price.
Here is some interesting information someone on slashdot pointed out
regarding Borland and Trolltech's (owner of QT) relationship...
Trolltech's shares are currently owned by employees, the Trolltech
Foundation and investors, with the following distribution:
Employees 64.7%
Borland 8.3%
Trolltech Foundation 5.2%
Orkla ASA 4.3%
Northzone Ventures 4.3%
Teknoinvest 4.3%
Canopy Group 4.1%
Previous employees 3.4%
SCO Group 1.6%
Reference: www.trolltech.com/newsroom/investors.html

Re:Trolltech, Borland and QT library

Jeff Undercash wrote:
Is there any way to get rid of the Kylix QT library dependency?
Would be gtk2 a better widget framework? There are Free Pascal library
bindings that meight compile with dcc. After that is done the whole VCLX
must be changed what breaks compiled 3rd party components. But I think
this would be the less importent problem.
--
Regards
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Trolltech, Borland and QT library

Here is the link: sourceforge.net/projects/gtk2forpascal/
--
Regards
Andreas Hausladen
(www.kylix-patch.de.vu unofficial VisualCLX patches)

{smallsort}

Jeff Undercash wrote:
Here is some interesting information someone on slashdot pointed out
regarding Borland and Trolltech's (owner of QT) relationship...
and? Your point is?
--
.. Phoenix

Re:Trolltech, Borland and QT library

and? Your point is?
Borland owns part of Trolltech and its not in their "best interests" to move
away from/beyond QT

Jeff Undercash wrote:
Borland owns part of Trolltech and its not in their "best interests" to move
away from/beyond QT
depends on why they invested. They appear to have a comparatively minor interest.
--
.. Phoenix

Jeff Undercash wrote:
(Sorry for the dupe, somehow I posted it orginally as a reply in a
different thread instead of a new msg)

Is there any way to get rid of the Kylix QT library dependency? Relying
on it is like giving your app a free ball and chain with the purchase
price.

You will have to adopt some type of Widget framework for XWindows
development. So what type do you propose replaces QT? Athena, Mofif,
GTK/GTK+, etc. Which one would you prefer?
Whichever you prefer, someone is going to prefer something else. QT is the
most popular and the best in common API struture, so I would guess that is
why Borland chose it. It also supports not only Linux, but also Windows,
Mac, and Unix. I would guess that this is why Borland chose it;-- most
popular and xplatform support.

Re:Trolltech, Borland and QT library

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:56:12 -0400, pNichols < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:
Mac, and Unix. I would guess that this is why Borland chose it;-- most
popular and xplatform support.

If I remember correctly, it was because the Qt architecture was a
really good fit for how they wanted to wrap the vcl around it. I
don't think xplatform was a major consideration - a Mac compiler I
don't think has ever been a major consideration.

Re:Trolltech, Borland and QT library

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:15:09 -0400, "Jeff Undercash"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>and? Your point is?

Borland owns part of Trolltech and its not in their "best interests" to move
away from/beyond QT

If I'm remembering correctly (again) Borland got a share of Trolltech
about the same time as Kylix was being developed. It seems like a
good idea to me - Borland had more incentive to work with Qt to
facilitate the development of clx. IOW, Borland invested in Trolltech
after Qt was chosed as a widget set. Nothing mysterious here.

Jeff Undercash wrote:
Is there any way to get rid of the Kylix QT library dependency?
It is usually only dependent when using visual CLX components. You're
free to use whatever widget set you are able to. I know that this means
finding or writing bindings for those, but the option is there.
Here is some interesting information someone on slashdot pointed out
regarding Borland and Trolltech's (owner of QT) relationship...

Borland 8.3%
A pretty small interest. Is there some relevance?
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

ckd wrote:
I don't think xplatform was a major consideration
It was.
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Re:Trolltech, Borland and QT library

On 13 Oct 2003 17:47:28 -0700, "Dave Nottage (TeamB)"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
ckd wrote:
>I don't think xplatform was a major consideration

It was.

I'm differentiating between xplatform and dual-platform. I spoke to a
few Borland employees directly and the intent was to use a toolkit
with windows/linux support and Qt beat the alternatives because of
it's architecture. Delphi/Kylix/??? support for other platforms (like
Mac) was a nifty dream but not a major consideration. IMO, of course.

Re:Trolltech, Borland and QT library

XXXX@XXXXX.COM (ckd) wrote in
facilitate the development of clx. IOW, Borland invested in Trolltech
after Qt was chosed as a widget set. Nothing mysterious here.
Probably part of the agreement to allow uses of Delphi to distribute QT
without a developers license from TrollTech.
--
Iman
Well, it’s never “happily ever after?because “happily ever after?is you

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Jeff Undercash wrote:

>Is there any way to get rid of the Kylix QT library dependency?

Would be gtk2 a better widget framework? There are Free Pascal library
bindings that meight compile with dcc. After that is done the whole VCLX
must be changed what breaks compiled 3rd party components. But I think
this would be the less importent problem.
They started to bind QT libs also, progress is not so fast but it goes on.

wrote:

>Mac, and Unix. I would guess that this is why Borland chose it;-- most
>popular and xplatform support.

If I remember correctly, it was because the Qt architecture was a
really good fit for how they wanted to wrap the vcl around it. I
don't think xplatform was a major consideration - a Mac compiler I
don't think has ever been a major consideration.
I think it was a consideration, however unlikely. GTK does not fit very well
on Windows however, whereas QT does.
I have no doubt you are correct that QT was easier to wrap the VCL around.
QT is much more mature than GTK or GTK+. I do not think Athena or Motif
would work very well on Windows at all.

Re:Trolltech, Borland and QT library

"Jeff Undercash" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >kirjoitti viestiss?
[...]

Last nail to Kylix coffin. I would not touch even with stick staff which is
contaminated with SCO