the "kylix problem"

2003-10-16 03:14:23 PM
kylix0
hi all,
i just found the following - nothing really new, except that it's "only"
from DevExpress !
"Developer Express - Ray" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
We have no plans on releasing any additional CLX components at this time.
Until such time as Borland releases an official statement from management
stating that CLX and Kylix are being fully supported/marketed/and
developed
in both the short and long term, we will not risk the financial health of
our company by hedging that the future "might" bode well for Linux. We've
risked far too much and gotten far too little support for our efforts up
this point.
It all boils down to finances - you can look and see for yourself to
understand the reality as it stands right now - very few care about Kylix
and even fewer use Kylix to build client apps, and even fewer are buying
third party tools. This is the reality and this is something we cannot
change nor do we want to bury ourselves by trying to do so.

Ray

Re:the "kylix problem"

Hans-Dieter Karl wrote:
[...snip...]
>It all boils down to finances - you can look and see for yourself to
>understand the reality as it stands right now - very few care about Kylix
>and even fewer use Kylix to build client apps, and even fewer are buying
>third party tools. This is the reality and this is something we cannot
>change nor do we want to bury ourselves by trying to do so.
[...snip...]
I'd like to see some kind of statement from Borland too. I suspect that
64-bit CPUs and .NET (and Mono) are changing the future direction of
Kylix though. Borland may be waiting to see how that develops before
releasing a new Kylix. My hope is that they are at least doing some R&D
on Mono and support for the VCL running on Mono. Can they say anything
about this? Probably not. It's a wait-and-see kind of game.
I'm still looking at developing an app in Kylix within the next year.
But I will also be looking at Lazarus and perhaps contributing to it (if
I have the time).
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:the "kylix problem"

Well, developers may also play that kind of games. Buy pirated full
functional version (not stripped 30-day trial), try to develop something
with it and buy license only if it give positive feeling.
BTW, fresh bug. TForm.OnConstrainedResize does not work at all. Setting
MinWidth, MinHeight, MaxWidth, MaxHeight does not affect resizing behavior.
BTW, another design issue. TBitmap.Canvas.StretchDraw extremely slow on
large images. I forced to write my own image scaling function that at least
work twice faster than Borland's/Trolltech's and give better quality of
resulting image. Do they optimize theirs procedures at all?

{smallsort}

Re:the "kylix problem"

"Hans-Dieter Karl" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
hi all,
i just found the following - nothing really new, except that it's "only"
from DevExpress !

"Developer Express - Ray" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
The link doesn't work for me. What is the source of this comment?

Re:the "kylix problem"

news:3f8e448a$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>hi all,
>i just found the following - nothing really new, except that it's "only"
>from DevExpress !
>

>"Developer Express - Ray" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag

The link doesn't work for me. What is the source of this comment?

it's on news://news.devexpress.com in the "devexpress.public.kylix" group
in the thread "In need of Kylix components"

Re:the "kylix problem"

i have a full subscription to their entire vcl/clx lineup & this is my 2nd
year in a row
im still waiting twiddling my thumbs for their clx ports, though in all
fairness they
did release their dbgrid for kylix
im hoping their will finish porting what they promised instead of leaving us
high & dry
right now people porting over existing delphi code are stuck because not all
the devex stuff is
available under k3 ...so basically its a chicken & egg issue...