Moving projects and demos from Windows to Kylix - Component question(s)

2005-01-10 11:23:32 PM
kylix1
Hello,
We have revisited our Kylix customer base, and found many people still
used Kylix - so we decided what the hell... ported the component suites
over to Kylix w/ minimal headaches ... but the demos -- that was another
chore.
Question #1: Is there a TRichEdit component out there for both OS's -
prefer Freeware as this is for a demo application - that simply is
setting the colors of lines and columns of numbers for statistics.
Question #2: Since we are finally moving some of these demos over, I
started moving our web server to Kylix. (oddly runs in Kylix3 but not in
the shell - probably path stuff)... but, in Windows we coded out a
DXCGI.PAS - which shelled the application and managed std io pipes -
anyone know how to do such in Kylix?
Thanks,
Ozz
www.bpdx.com

Re:Moving projects and demos from Windows to Kylix - Component question(s)

Ozz,
Question #2: Since we are finally moving some of these demos over, I
started moving our web server to Kylix. (oddly runs in Kylix3 but not in
the shell - probably path stuff)... but, in Windows we coded out a
DXCGI.PAS - which shelled the application and managed std io pipes -
anyone know how to do such in Kylix?
Get unixutils.pas at www.tempest-sw.com/freeware/kylix/unix-0.3.tar.gz.
It has all sorts of shell execution routines and is easy to use.
Simon

On 2005-01-11, Simon Kissel < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Ozz,

>Question #2: Since we are finally moving some of these demos over, I
>started moving our web server to Kylix. (oddly runs in Kylix3 but not in
>the shell - probably path stuff)... but, in Windows we coded out a
>DXCGI.PAS - which shelled the application and managed std io pipes -
>anyone know how to do such in Kylix?

Get unixutils.pas at www.tempest-sw.com/freeware/kylix/unix-0.3.tar.gz.
It has all sorts of shell execution routines and is easy to use.
Unfortunately its license seems to be pure GPL, and not LGPL, which limits
its usage.

{smallsort}

Re:Moving projects and demos from Windows to Kylix - Component question(s)

>>Question #2: Since we are finally moving some of these demos over, I
>>started moving our web server to Kylix. (oddly runs in Kylix3 but not in
>>the shell - probably path stuff)... but, in Windows we coded out a
>>DXCGI.PAS - which shelled the application and managed std io pipes -
>>anyone know how to do such in Kylix?
>
>Get unixutils.pas at www.tempest-sw.com/freeware/kylix/unix-0.3.tar.gz.
>It has all sorts of shell execution routines and is easy to use.

Unfortunately its license seems to be pure GPL, and not LGPL, which limits
its usage.
In this case it still is a fine reference to see how the exec()-call and friends
are used.
Simon

On 2005-01-12, Simon Kissel < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>its usage.

In this case it still is a fine reference to see how the exec()-call and
friends are used.
True. I like the way the exec() calls are done with array of string, but
that is probably I did it in FPC that way too. (only I don't have an array
of string for env, keep that ppchar)
I also don't have the exception frame, and I'm wondering why it is needed,
since typically an exec follows a fork, and any failure in that fork would
lead to termination of the forked process?