Re: What distros do you all use?

2005-02-07 03:26:32 AM
kylix2
"Andreas Hausladen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Jason wrote:

>I have xterm installed, Kylix just doesn't want to work with it. What
>happens is that the program execution stalls for about a minute and then
>I get a message about "cannot create process".

Maybe xterm is not 64bit aware or the %debuggee% isn't? I do not have a 64
bit CPU so I can only guess.

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen
(andy.jgknet.de/blog)
What does %debuggee% do?

Re:Re: What distros do you all use?

Jason wrote:
What does %debuggee% do?
Looks like it is a macro replaced by the Kylix IDE.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

On 2005-02-04, Clint Herron < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I'm discouraged and looking for some advice.

Kylix3 on FC3 is a pain, as is getting Mono up and running on there.
What flavors do you all use for your Linux dev environment?
Well, typically FreeBSD. (really)
I have no use for mono, so I never tried that, and only used the K1 cmdline
compiler for a while. (had K1 IDE running at some point too)

{smallsort}

Clint Herron wrote:
I'm discouraged and looking for some advice.

Kylix3 on FC3 is a pain, as is getting Mono up and running on there.
What flavors do you all use for your Linux dev environment? I'm
relatively new to Linux, so I'm not terribly committed to flying under
any particular banner. I thought FC3 sounded good, but it seems as
though it all changes so fast, that people don't really want to support
it (meaning Kylix3 patches and Mono).

So anyway, what flavors work well for y'all?

--clint

Slackware 10.0, without any problem.

Clint Herron wrote:
I'm discouraged and looking for some advice.

Kylix3 on FC3 is a pain, as is getting Mono up and running on there.
What flavors do you all use for your Linux dev environment? I'm
relatively new to Linux, so I'm not terribly committed to flying under
any particular banner. I thought FC3 sounded good, but it seems as
though it all changes so fast, that people don't really want to support
it (meaning Kylix3 patches and Mono).

So anyway, what flavors work well for y'all?

--clint

Slackware works fine up to version 2.4.29
Use the Patch! Clint -- use the patch!
Mandrake V 10 -- 64bit for AMD64 (2.6.x) gives an error Bad File Format
'libX11.so.6'

DaveR schrieb:
Mandrake V 10 -- 64bit for AMD64 (2.6.x) gives an error Bad File Format
'libX11.so.6'
make sure your X11 32-bit lib-path comes first in (IIRC) ld.so.conf
Willi

Willibald Krenn wrote:
DaveR schrieb:

>Mandrake V 10 -- 64bit for AMD64 (2.6.x) gives an error Bad File
>Format 'libX11.so.6'

make sure your X11 32-bit lib-path comes first in (IIRC) ld.so.conf

Willi

what problem will this cause if it is not so?
There is a libX11.so.6 error in Mandrake 10.1 64 bit
--
Dave.
PMC Consulting

Willibald Krenn wrote:
DaveR schrieb:

>Mandrake V 10 -- 64bit for AMD64 (2.6.x) gives an error Bad File
>Format 'libX11.so.6'

make sure your X11 32-bit lib-path comes first in (IIRC) ld.so.conf

Willi

Willibald Kren
My Hero!!!
To where do I travel to buy you lunch?
My Mandrake 64 bit version 10 now runs. Sob Sob Sob - I am so happy...
For Others....
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib64
/usr/X11R6/qt3/lib64
in ld.so.conf works
--
Dave.
PMC Consulting

Re:Re: What distros do you all use?

This is good news, it removes my last excuse for not buying a 64 bit box.

DaveR schrieb:
My Hero!!!

To where do I travel to buy you lunch?
Wow, you really seem to be e{*word*277}d! :-)
My Mandrake 64 bit version 10 now runs. Sob Sob Sob - I am so happy...
I'm using Kylix 3 on an AMD64 machine occasionally since April 2004
(SuSE 9.0 AMD64) and was one of the first to try it out. Back then, SuSE
people even discovered a kernel bug that was triggered by the IDE.. (So
you mainly have to thank SuSE that you can run the IDE on AMD64 systems.)
As of January this year I've managed to run a Delphi SOAP client (and a
custom .NET SOAP server) 100% natively on AMD64-Linux (Kernel 2.6.9;
SuSE 9.0) using Mono for the .Net part and Kylix for the SOAP client.
Granted, I had to patch the Kylix/Delphi SOAP source so that type
inheritance is working and the client is looking far better on Windows,
but for a 'just-recompile' type of thing results are quite promising..
www.wpkrenn.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Willi/LiberLinux (Some german
screens of some unfinished application..)
The Mono port was quite cutting edge, as it triggered three bugs in Mono
- one of them was a non-working array bounds checking on AMD64; But I do
not remember any serious bugs caused by Kylix.
It's sooooooooooo unfortunate, that Borland stopped Kylix development :-((
Willi

Re:Re: What distros do you all use?

You seem to be interested in using Delphi language in the future (i.e.
Linux and platform independent .NET environments (e.g.MONO).
Let us know about your opinion on the related issues, that jump into my
mind:
- D2005
- Kylix (don't bother :( )
- cross Kylix
- Mono
- other .NET frameworks
- Chrome
- Python
- C#
-Michael

On 2005-02-17, Michael Schnell < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
You seem to be interested in using Delphi language in the future (i.e.
Linux and platform independent .NET environments (e.g.MONO).

Let us know about your opinion on the related issues, that jump into my
mind:

- D2005
Too instable. Will reevaluate after patches. Upgrade mostly interesting
for .NETista's and heavily db systems users (I don't use very complex db
stuff at the moment, and neither plan to use .NET short term in this job)
Heavy disappointment that there is no 64-bit version. Partially fault of
M$ postponing of win64 for AMD of course. But even if I had an expensive
Itanium, I couldn't use my srcs.
- Kylix (don't bother :( )
Maintenance a problem, no hope on Mac OS X, no prospect on Linux/AMD64 that
is already available for 2 years.
- cross Kylix
No experience, but since it is still updated, better than Kylix.
- Mono
Still useless, except for tinkering. Heard rumours (from M$ employee weblog,
that Microsoft might release source to windows.forms. That would make
fast progress possible, but till then: keep on dreaming)
- other .NET frameworks
.NET only for Windows for now. Doesn't solve any problems for me at the
.moment.
- Chrome
Why try to adapt a new minority language if I can't take my legacy source
with me? If I leave Delphi and friends, it will be Java or a major .NET
language. (and probably my manager will decide that for me)
Or Chrome must become an awfully cool environment. Keep in mind that Delphi
is more than just a language (RAD - db system - IDE - componentmarket -
community - commercial add on tools)
I don't see this happening soon.
Chrome is in my opinion something like Amiga PPC. Idealists not wanting
to give up. I might, as a Wirth fan use it privately, but don't expect
to ever be able to use it at work (not even if I wanted too)
If Delphi dies, or Delphi.NET is not a real advantage when I have to migrate
to .NET. (either to reuse legacy sources, or productivity related), then it
is exit Delphi. And that means VS with marketable languages. I hope I can
bend it to C#, but might end up with VB.NET.
- Python
No experience, but it doesn't attract me.
- C#
C# means .NET, which is my main problem. When forced to .NET by whatever
reason, it is not that bad. Pretty much the only choice, unless Delphi.NET
is usable for my sourcecodes which I hightly doubt.
I missed Delphi.NET in your choices btw.

Re:Re: What distros do you all use?

>- Python

No experience, but it doesn't attract me.

For a long time I keep hearing positive comments on same, but I never
considered trying it. Now a friend of mine who is porting an old Turbo
Pascal project to a new Window/Linux version did many tests with Python
in the last week and is absolutely enthusiastic about it.
As Python is an interpreter you need to do some procedures that need to
be very fast (he does a graphics editor) in a native language. Python
supports ANSI C and C++ out of the box. He is just busy trying to enable
Free Pascal (that uses the ANSI C interface) here.
-Michael

Re:Re: What distros do you all use?

>- other .NET frameworks

.NET only for Windows for now. Doesn't solve any problems for me at the
.moment.

I think another .NET framework worthy of note would be the DotGNU
project with Portable.NET ( www.dotgnu.org/ )
Just wanted to make y'all aware.
They're also progressing in the System.Windows.Forms area, and they seem
to be more cross-processor than Mono currently is (Portable.NET runs
nicely on everything from i386 to PPC to StrongARM)
Cheers!
--clint

Willibald Krenn wrote:
DaveR schrieb:

>My Hero!!!
>
>To where do I travel to buy you lunch?

Wow, you really seem to be e{*word*277}d! :-)
Uh yeah.... Many hours of looking for this bug on and off. I bought this
box for development work in optimization theory... Knapsack algorithm etc...
Interested in distributed algorithms....
>My Mandrake 64 bit version 10 now runs. Sob Sob Sob - I am so happy...

I'm using Kylix 3 on an AMD64 machine occasionally since April 2004
(SuSE 9.0 AMD64) and was one of the first to try it out. Back then, SuSE
people even discovered a kernel bug that was triggered by the IDE.. (So
you mainly have to thank SuSE that you can run the IDE on AMD64 systems.)

As of January this year I've managed to run a Delphi SOAP client (and a
custom .NET SOAP server) 100% natively on AMD64-Linux (Kernel 2.6.9;
SuSE 9.0) using Mono for the .Net part and Kylix for the SOAP client.
Granted, I had to patch the Kylix/Delphi SOAP source so that type
inheritance is working and the client is looking far better on Windows,
but for a 'just-recompile' type of thing results are quite promising..

www.wpkrenn.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Willi/LiberLinux (Some german
screens of some unfinished application..)

The Mono port was quite cutting edge, as it triggered three bugs in Mono
- one of them was a non-working array bounds checking on AMD64; But I do
not remember any serious bugs caused by Kylix.

It's sooooooooooo unfortunate, that Borland stopped Kylix development :-((

Willi

Regardless....
Thank you for posting the required info.
This gives me an excuse to vacation in Europe and buy you lunch one day.
I was beginning to feel cheated on the box...
AMD 64 3400+
ATI Radeon 9600SE display card
120MB HD
K8VSE Deluxe ASUS Motherboard.
Mandrake 10 2.6.3 -9(?) Kernel Couldn't be bothered upgrading a Server...
Now it's a development box again.
I was going to start working with Lazurus...
My guess is that Kylix now uses 32 bit libs first - correct?
--
Dave.
PMC Consulting