Re: keep Kylix and CLX alive

2005-10-25 01:14:59 AM
kylix2
Lou
BTW. I abandoned my first attempt at installing Lazarus because of so many
dependency problems.
Then I discovered that Mandrake has 'urpmi' tool. Wow what a difference.
On Mandrake 9.0 I needed to download
lazarus-0.9.10-0.i386.rpm
fpcsrc-2.0.1-050923.i386.rpm
fpc-2.0.1-050923.i386.rpm
and
desktop-file-utils-0.9-2.i386.rpm
Installation went smoothly once I had these. (Note to try to install an rpm
from a local directory just pas the full rpm name to urpmi)
Just thought I would post this since I found the install notes not very
helpful on the lazarus webiste (- sorry)
Sylvio
"sylvio" <non-specified>wrote in message
Lou

>There is no cross platorm development (IDE+RAD+Compiler) alternative of
>Kylix.
Have you tried Lazarus ?

Sylvio

"Hür Akdülger" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:435ce7cb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Go IBM's site (www.ibm.com) and search "kylix" keyword.
>You will find at least 100 links.
>This means, IBM drove Borland to grow Kylix at the past.
>Bob Swart may know why IBM gave up to drive Borland/Kylix.
>
>But, I think that we will never know why Kylix dead...
>
>Kylix must live.
>There is no cross platorm development (IDE+RAD+Compiler) alternative of
>Kylix.
>

>"Lou Feliz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:43592cae$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>I totally agree. I was recently contact by Borland to renew my
Software
>>Assuranc for Delphi and let the kind person know that I really thought
>>Borland was blowing a huge oppty by letting Kylix die. I am
contemplating
>>not renewing SA and start looking at Delphi alternatives. Heck I still
>>primarily use D7 and have not yet installed D2005.
>>
>>I stongly feel that kylix 3 should be supported. Perhaps benevolant
>>company like Sun or Novell or IBM can convince Borland to keepy Kylix
>>going.
>>
>>- Lou

Re:Re: keep Kylix and CLX alive

sylvio wrote:
Hello Den Jean

>BTW, I am working on a Qt4 binding,
>any community aid is welcome :-) (dry-run the thing)

Do you have a binding for MS Windows please ?

I would like to bind to a more recent version of Qt libraries on MS
Windows.
Qt 4 is a lot different than Qt 3 and Qt 3 is a lot different then Qt 2
which is used for the VisualCLX FreeCLX). So the VisualCLX must be
adjusted, some components will have new properties, other properties
meight disappear because they aren't supported by Qt 4 anymore, ...
I converted the VisualCLX to Qt 3 some time ago (zeljko is now working on
this port) and there are lot's of issues to solve.
So simply replacing a Qt2-CLX by a Qt4-CLX meight require some or even
many changes to the current code base.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: keep Kylix and CLX alive

sylvio wrote:
3) Qt bindings in MS Windows that can use later Qt libraries.
This is also a licening problem. You must license a Qt version from
Trolltech if you want to use a new Qt binding in a product and you do not
want to make it GPL'ed.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

{smallsort}

Re:Re: keep Kylix and CLX alive

"sylvio" <non-specified>wrote:
Unfortunately on this occasion the (latest) bug that I have got appears to
emanate from the Qt libraries themselves.

You can change to Qt 2.3.2 instead of Qt 2.3.0 (lots of patches)
It even allows you to enable font aliasing (but no bitmap fonts anymore)
To regenerate libqtintf: see
cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/qtforfpc/qt2/FreeClx/
Use a 2.95 compiler.
So you can fix or add stuff in Qt directly.
Warning: compiling Qt takes forever.
kind regards,
Den Jean

Re:Re: keep Kylix and CLX alive

Yes,
I will keep experiment with Kylix and Cross Kylix until it is more trouble
than it is worth. I have downloaded FPC and Lazarus, but for now it is not
complete enough. I am mainly doing Win32 development at the moment and will
keep using D7/Kylix. I might even give JBuilder a try one of these days.
- Lou

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
>Do you have a binding for MS Windows please ?
Contact me in private if you want to compile the Qt4 binding on windows.
I do not have time to support windows.
>I would like to bind to a more recent version of Qt libraries on MS
>Windows.

Qt 4 is a lot different than Qt 3 and Qt 3 is a lot different then Qt 2
which is used for the VisualCLX FreeCLX). So the VisualCLX must be
adjusted, some components will have new properties, other properties
meight disappear because they aren't supported by Qt 4 anymore, ...

I converted the VisualCLX to Qt 3 some time ago (zeljko is now working on
this port) and there are lot's of issues to solve.

So simply replacing a Qt2-CLX by a Qt4-CLX meight require some or even
many changes to the current code base.

The Qt4 binding is half the work. Adapting CLX is the other half.
So what I currently have is not of use for CLX programs (windows or linux).
kind regards,
Den Jean

Re:Re: keep Kylix and CLX alive

Den Jean wrote:
I think you responded to the wrong person ;-)
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
sylvio wrote:

I converted the VisualCLX to Qt 3 some time ago (zeljko is now working on
this port) and there are lot's of issues to solve.
yes, today I've fixed most mouse event's problems with controls, also
assigned popupmenus works as expected , TBitBtn paint focus rect now.
I'll send to you new patches tomorrow afternoon, since there'll be some
minor changes (possibly) in QGrids.
So ppl , stay tuned :)

Re:Re: keep Kylix and CLX alive

zeljko wrote:
So ppl , stay tuned :)
I will.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
zeljko wrote:

>So ppl , stay tuned :)

I will.
changes since Qt3CLX 0.6 :
* TBitBtn have focus rect when focused (PaintHook).
* TItemEditor doesn't crash app anymore (missing hooks).
* TCustomGroupBox have minor margin (2) now, since it is
very ugly when we have eg TStringGrid inside this control with
alClient aligned (TCustomGroupBox caption is half visible).
* Fixed MouseUp & MouseDown events.
* Fixed PopupMenu showing when popupmenu is assigned,
added QEvent_Type_ContextMenu event in QControls.
* Fixed hints crash (THintWindow). There's still a mistake in
FCanvas (TControlCanvas) freeing, but works with workaround.
* TApplication.EventFilter doesn't need QEventType_Show on linux
since it drive us into terrible problems (X crash) if MainForm is MDIForm.
Doesn't affect normal forms, so give it just to WinXX.
- This patch can be applied to qt2 clx also, since we have same problem.
* TApplication.BringToFront now properly focus ActiveMDIChild (if any).
* QMask is useable now, but it's still far from good solution.
Needs to be rewritten in qt3 way.
* AutoSelect support for TCustomEdit.
* Fix in QPrinters TQPrintAdapter.GetPageSize & SetPageSize
* Fixed TListColumn app crash, when it contains more than 1 column.
* QControls.ButtonStateToShiftState returned wrong values, Qt3 have
different consts values for Qt_ButtonState.
* Many minor fixes ...
Tested on linux only (KDE 3.3, KDE 3.4, fvwm & icewm CVS).
can go to beta now ? ;)
patches are in your mailbox :)