Kylix is not dead

2004-10-02 10:02:20 AM
kylix2
I say "thank you" to all the people who try to keep Kylix alive.
This is certainly and first Andreas Hausladen and Simon Kissel.
I hope all else who are mentioned in the "FreeCLX Community Project":
* Michael Swindell (Borland)
* Allen Bauer (Borland)
* Chad Z. Hower (chair)
* Olaf Monien
* Charlie Calvert
are going to spend some similar effort.
I just simply love Delphi but I'm not on Windows anymore since 3 years.
(OK, I've still a dual-boot with Win2K Server for some purpose)
Currently I'm writing again some code for an old dream of mine: a native
delphi rich-text-editor. (means not only *.rtf but HTML or PDF or
similar too). This is a really tough job
Here's where I am:
www.theo.ch/kylix/rich.png
I know it's completely stupid and useless.
Would anybody like to help anyway?

Re:Kylix is not dead

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 04:02:20 +0200, theo wrote:
Currently I'm writing again some code for an old dream of mine: a native
delphi rich-text-editor.
What does "native" means exactly? Directly on Xlib? What does "Delphi"
mean in this context, the language or you're targetting Windows too?
Which license do you use?
Feel free to contact me by e-mail if you prefer.
Nico

Re:Kylix is not dead

What does "native" means exactly?
Not using an existing Qt-control (like QTextBrowser) but writing one
from scratch.
Directly on Xlib?
No, on CLX/Qt. But as an option using libXft for antialiased fonts, like
shown here: www.theo.ch/kylix/aactrl.zip
What does "Delphi"
mean in this context, the language or you're targetting Windows too?
The language. But It should be easy to make a CLX or even VCL
Windows-version (if ever finished ;-). Maybe it could even work on
Lazarus with some modifications.
Which license do you use?
I've just started again, trying to find a suitable design. I'll see when
it does something meaningful. For now, it's a fun-project.

salu2,
Is this "saludos"? OK, salu2!

{smallsort}

Re:Kylix is not dead

Hello,
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:14:15 +0200, theo wrote:
I've just started again, trying to find a suitable design. I'll see when
it does something meaningful. For now, it's a fun-project.
I'm writting a text editor with FPC (but Delphi compatible)
interfacing directly with Windows API and (planned for later) Xlib.
Intended for editing Pascal code, it has syntax hightlightning, but I
would not say "rich text" because it always uses a fixed pitch font.
I'm doing it now for fun in my spare time and very slowly. Currently
it justs browses source files:
espira.net/nico/viewer.png
Maybe when it's more complete I would publish part of the sources or
maybe I'll try to base some shareware on it, I've not decided anything
yet.
If you ever want to write a Windows version, I can help because I'm
fighting winapi a lot. I don't know if writting QT controls is similar
to dealing directly with Xlib, or if we could collaborate on a higher
level.
Is this "saludos"?
Yes. "Dos" = 2 in Spanish, a childish abbreviation, but I'm used to
O:-)
Nico

Re:Kylix is not dead

I'm writting a text editor with FPC (but Delphi compatible)
interfacing directly with Windows API and (planned for later) Xlib.
Intended for editing Pascal code, it has syntax hightlightning, but I
would not say "rich text" because it always uses a fixed pitch font.
Yes, that's something different. I'm sure you know Synedit:
synedit.sourceforge.net/

If you ever want to write a Windows version, I can help because I'm
fighting winapi a lot.
Thanks!
I don't know if writting QT controls is similar
to dealing directly with Xlib,
No, the CLX is like the VCL
or if we could collaborate on a higher
level.
We'll see when I have something useable.
Regards
Theo

Re:Kylix is not dead

Hello,
On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:00:38 +0200, theo < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Yes, that's something different. I'm sure you know Synedit:
synedit.sourceforge.net/
I knew it, yes. But it's much bigger than my whole program :-)
>I don't know if writting QT controls is similar
>to dealing directly with Xlib,

No, the CLX is like the VCL
Writting a VCL control from scratch usually implies dealing with
Windows API or with basic VCL objects (like TCanvas) that closely wrap
calls to API. Xlib is at a lower level than that, but I assumed (I
know almost nothing about QT interface) that writting a QT control
could also mean making calls to Xlib.
Nico

Re:Kylix is not dead

Writting a VCL control from scratch usually implies dealing with
Windows API or with basic VCL objects (like TCanvas) that closely wrap
calls to API. Xlib is at a lower level than that, but I assumed (I
know almost nothing about QT interface) that writting a QT control
could also mean making calls to Xlib.

In a way the QT interface on Linux is at the same level like Windows API.
XLib is a lower level, which would be also called a part of Win-API on
windows. There is no corresponding level on Win-API
The big difference is, that Qt provides a widgetset (Buttons, Edits,
Scrollbars...), like Win-API does on Windows.
XLib without Qt or GTK or whatever doesn't. It's more or less dealing
with windows, fonts, cursor etc. and some basic drawing.
An example: Getting the width of a text with a certain font:
//CLX like VCL:
function TextWidth(const Text: WideString): Integer;
//Qt interface:
function QFontMetrics_width(handle: QFontMetricsH; p1: PWideString; len:
Integer): Integer; overload; cdecl;
//Direct XLib call:
function XTextWidth(FontStruct: PXFontStruct; S: PChar; Count: Integer):
Integer; cdecl;
In most cases, there is no need to call XLib directly. But you can.
In this demo www.theo.ch/kylix/aactrl.zip I call Xft directly to
get anti-aliased fonts on the screen. A feature that the Qt-version
shipped with Kylix doesn't provide.
Hope this is all true! Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Theo

Re:Kylix is not dead

>Yes, that's something different. I'm sure you know Synedit:
>synedit.sourceforge.net/

I knew it, yes. But it's much bigger than my whole program :-)
Do you knew the DreamRichEdit and DreamEdit. I think it run under VCL and
CLX (Delphi and Kylix):
www.dreamcompany.com/download.html