mutli language applications

2004-10-01 04:36:40 AM
kylix0
Hi All,
Anybody got some ideas on what is the best way to tackle a multi
language application? What would be the best design to enable such a
feature.
What I would like is maybe have a couple of language .so files included
in the application directory. The user can then select the preffered
language inside the application or maybe a .ini file or something.
Basicly I want to switch languages at runtime!
Regards,
- Graeme -

Re:mutli language applications

On 10/01/2004 05:36 AM +0900, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
Sorry for the late reply, but I've been away on business.
Anybody got some ideas on what is the best way to tackle a multi
language application? What would be the best design to enable such a
feature.
I'm not so sure that I'd say that there's a best way, but the way I'm
used to handling this is to keep all your strings in a text file with
"string key" pointers to your messages or UI elements, e.g.,
@splash.example.txtHello
ENG:Hello
FRE:Bonjour
JPN:Konnichiwa
GER:Guten Tag
Load the file at start-up and switch between them by replacing the
element texts on each form. Pay attention to the fonts. You'll want to
have an appropriate font selected for each codepage that you support.
Anyway, just an idea.
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan