Kylix 3 C++ RH8 install success - perhaps

2005-06-15 11:20:23 PM
kylix2
Amongst the Fedora install news items I gleaned a couple of points that
now (after some years) allows me to successfully compile using BCB!
As I understand it, RedHat 8 is using a later version of the glibc
library than Kylix 3 expects, so acting on a couple of tips in the
newsgroup I downloaded "compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2.i386" from
rpmfind.net and saved it to a temporary directory. Then in a
terminal window, and as "root", changed directory to where I downloaded
the file, then ran "rpm -ivh compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2.i386". This
installed the compat-glibc library in the directory
"/usr/compat-glibc21-linux" directory.
I then started up Kylix 3 C++ using the "startbcb" command. So that
Kylix knows where to search for the compatible version of glibc I
clicked on the "Project/Options" menu and selected the
"Directories/Conditionals" tab and:
a) In the "Include path" dialog, added
/usr/compat-glibc21-linux/include" as the FIRST item in the list;
b) In the "Library path" dialog, added "/usr/compat-glibc21-linux/lib"
as the FIRST item in the list;
Well, blow me down, it worked! I am yet to try and compile a "real" c++
application, so I'e got my fingers crossed in case it blows up with some
other errors, but at least it no longer {*word*88}s on the typedef in "time.h".
So, is the fix that simple or have I missed something? I am concerned
that the compat-glibc library is out of whack with the actual glibc
library on my system.
Cheers
Mark

Re:Kylix 3 C++ RH8 install success - perhaps

I spoke too soon - "[Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Expected a file name"
occurred after saving the project. Sigh.... any thoughts?
Mark