Migrating Delphi project - Forms.dcu not found

2005-03-01 11:37:41 PM
kylix0
Hello,
I just released on Open Source application that was written in Delphi 6. I
would like to port it over to Kylix 3 (I have Kylix 3 professional).
I copied the project's source files over to my Linux box running SuSE 7.2
(yes I know that's an old version but I love it).
After ignoring a few property warnings when I open the project in Kylix 3,
the project seems to be fine. However, when I try to compile it, it
complains about forms.dcu not being found on in conjunction with the
project's forms (About.pas). I can open the form just fine in the IDE and
work with it, so I'm not sure what this error is trying to tell me.
I'm guessing this is a novice error, but I have been out of the loop with
Kylix for over year, which is when I developed my last Kylix app.
Can anyone tell me what to do here?
Also, currently I am using some third party Kylix code from the book -
Kylix: The Professional Developer's Guide and Reference, to provide Windows
styles MESSAGE loop stuff . Is this still necessary, or did Kylix ever pick
up it's own native message loop stuff?
Thanks,
Robert Oschler
Robosapien Dance Machine - Open Source Project
sourceforge.net/projects/robodance

Re:Migrating Delphi project - Forms.dcu not found

Robert Oschler wrote:
I copied the project's source files over to my Linux box running SuSE 7.2
(yes I know that's an old version but I love it).
Kylix 3 works perfectly on SuSE 7.2 and 7.3 but will make problems on
newer distributions (Linux is not downward compatible)
After ignoring a few property warnings when I open the project in Kylix
3, the project seems to be fine. However, when I try to compile it, it
complains about forms.dcu not being found
Kylix has the CLX and not the VCL, so you must change every VCL unit to a
CLX unit by adding the leading "Q":
Forms ->QForms
Controls ->QControls
Dialogs ->QDialogs
Also, currently I am using some third party Kylix code from the book -
Kylix: The Professional Developer's Guide and Reference, to provide
Windows styles MESSAGE loop stuff . Is this still necessary, or did
Kylix ever pick up it's own native message loop stuff?
Kylix uses Qt's event loop. But I don't know the book/code you refer.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

"Andreas Hausladen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Robert Oschler wrote:
Kylix 3 works perfectly on SuSE 7.2 and 7.3 but will make problems on
newer distributions (Linux is not downward compatible)

Andreas,
Thanks!
Just some clarifications please. Since I am not intending to upgrade my
Suse 7.3 box, then I'll be fine with Kylix 3 right?
Having said, will apps I make/compile and distribute to others (RPM's or
binary distributions), will those work on newer versions of SuSE and other
newer Linux distros?
Finally, are there newer non-SuSE distros that run Kylix 3 well?
I guess the question I'm afraid to ask is, is Kylix 3 the end of the line?
Or will there someday be a newer version of Kylix that works on most of the
newer distros?
Thanks,
Robert
www.robodance.com/

{smallsort}

Re:Migrating Delphi project - Forms.dcu not found

Robert Oschler wrote:
..
Having said, will apps I make/compile and distribute to others (RPM's or
binary distributions), will those work on newer versions of SuSE and other
newer Linux distros?
Yes, however keep in mind that RPM packages are distribution,
distribution-version specific, so for best result, for each
distro-version you will need to provide specific to this version RPM
package. Often one RPM will work on many distributions but to a
certain extend only, because older distros are using different
internal RPM database than nearly all of the newer RPM based distros
which are LSB compatible. It is the main reason why Kylix fails to
install if you will attempt to install it to a newer Linux
distribution as root, and specifically because of the bug in Kylix
installation script which is not checking for higher version of RPM
than it is compiled for. Of course you are not limited to RPM
packages, you may use many different ways to distribute and install
your application, as usual each of the deployment methods can be very
effective in one circumstance and limited in other.
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer
www.superobject.com/installmade/

Robert Oschler wrote:
Since I am not intending to upgrade my Suse 7.3 box, then I'll be
fine with Kylix 3 right?
Yes.
Having said, will apps I make/compile and distribute to others (RPM's or
binary distributions), will those work on newer versions of SuSE and
other newer Linux distros?
The compiled application will work on newer distributions (as long as the
required libraries are installed)
Finally, are there newer non-SuSE distros that run Kylix 3 well?
Kylix 3 works also on SuSE 9.2 but only with tricks and I copy my Kylix
directory from distribution to distribution without reinstallation. So I
don't know if it can be installed on SUSE 9.2.
I guess the question I'm afraid to ask is, is Kylix 3 the end of the
line? Or will there someday be a newer version of Kylix that works on
most of the newer distros?
That is something only Borland can answer. Last year in september Borland
announced the FreeCLX community project. Let's see what this will bring us
in the near and far future.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen