delphi survey

2004-02-08 01:26:42 AM
kylix2
hi
go answer to survey
if you want that kylix survive...
infopoll.net/live/surveys/s24498.htm
thanks
--
Borland rulez pages.infinit.net/borland

Re:delphi survey

Marc Collin wrote:
go answer to survey

if you want that kylix survive...
Did it, so now kylix definitely survives. ;-)
--
Best regards
Stig Johansen

Re:delphi survey

Hi all,
Borland/DTG has started a new Delphi Survey at:
infopoll.net/live/surveys/s30110.htm
Unfortunately, most questions are for Windows development.
Still, you can warn them that you will not buy .NET oriented version.
There are following questions:
Beyond 32-bit Windows, when do you plan to start developing applications
for these platforms?
-- There is Linux option.
Do you use other Borland DTG products? (Choose all that apply ...)
-- You can answer "Kylix".
Please add any comments that you might have about the current Delphi
roadmap.
-- Tell them you want a new version of Kylix!
Here in Japan, the traffic of domestic Delphi ML has decreased to 1/10
compared to 4 years ago. This proves that Borland's .NET strategy has
failed.
This is a chance to have them to rethink of reviving Kylix.
I read "The alternative Delphi roadmap to success" by Simon Kissel at
delphiroadmap.untergrund.net/
I mostly agree with him except for the statement of "My alternative
roadmap does not imply Borland should be dropping its .NET offerings.".
I think that now they should pause .NET-related-development as they did
for Kylix.
Anyway, go to the survey. No voice, no change.
Haruyuki FUJIMAKI
Tsukuba, Japan

{smallsort}

Re:delphi survey

"Haruyuki FUJIMAKI" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Here in Japan, the traffic of domestic Delphi ML has decreased to 1/10
compared to 4 years ago. This proves that Borland's .NET strategy has
failed.
If you think a Kylix focused strategy would have made things better, you are
most likely wrong.
Regards
Uffe

Re:delphi survey

If you think a Kylix focused strategy would have made things better, you are
most likely wrong.
I want to see Kylix 4. But I do not know how many developers want it.
What I suggested in the previous post is that if you want it, you should
voice.
Otherwise, we will never see it.
IMHO, reviving Kylix with working IDE in the current distros and new
features added to D7-D2006 plus some bug fixes is not so costly compared
to following .NET 2.
This (Simon's suggestions and Borland's response) is the last chance for
me to expect Borland.
Haruyuki Fujimaki
Tsukuba, Japan

Re:delphi survey

Haruyuki FUJIMAKI wrote:
>If you think a Kylix focused strategy would have made things better, you
>are most likely wrong.

I want to see Kylix 4. But I do not know how many developers want it.
I want K4 too, but I think that Borland never do something like that (huge
amount of devel time & money).
But let's say they can make K 3.1 and get some revenue:
1. Embed K3 unofficial patches from Andreas Hausladen (production tested).
(or USE Qt3 port which is very useable).
2. Recompile K3 IDE with newer Wine libs (D7 works perfectly with recent
wine) so it can work under newer distros with glibc 2.4 & 2.5.
Anyway I think that ,it's too late for Borland to go to the linux market
again, they were not honest with their customers.
Borland stopped Linux products line , because of MS, not because of money.
Look at the Oracle & RedHat case.
If U need crossplatform compiler take freepascal (if U cannot live without
pascal) , I've already ported lot of my code to C++, so I will (my company)
definitely abandon borland (forever) in next few months. Goodbye Borland,
goodbye Inprise, goodbye Borland ...
zac

Re:delphi survey

Haruyuki FUJIMAKI wrote:
I want to see Kylix 4. But I do not know how many developers want it.
What I suggested in the previous post is that if you want it, you should
voice.
Otherwise, we will never see it.
Have already tryed Lazarus?
The IDE is translated to Japanese, and some volunteers are translating
the documentation on the wiki too.
It works on all distros (even 64 bits or on non-intel processors), can
produce apache modules, or gui software.
Lazarus is also moving to Unicode. I just submited a patch that makes
the title of Windows work on UTF-8 for Lazarus under Windows. Not much,
but it's a start =)
On Linux it already works with UTF-8.

Re:delphi survey

zeljko wrote:
[...]
I want K4 too, but I think that Borland never do something like that (huge
amount of devel time & money).

But let's say they can make K 3.1 and get some revenue:
1. Embed K3 unofficial patches from Andreas Hausladen (production tested).
(or USE Qt3 port which is very useable).
2. Recompile K3 IDE with newer Wine libs (D7 works perfectly with recent
wine) so it can work under newer distros with glibc 2.4 & 2.5.
Yes, that's realistic. I should have provided that "3. Would you pay for
a Kylix 3 patch?" means such patchs. Results indicate that about the
half of the participants replied that *they will pay even for pacth*:
hpcgi2.nifty.com/Fujimaki/Kylix/results.cgi
Anyway I think that ,it's too late for Borland to go to the linux market
again, they were not honest with their customers.
Borland stopped Linux products line , because of MS, not because of money.
Look at the Oracle & RedHat case.
I am afraid you are right.
Although one month has passed since Simon presented the alternative
roadmap and 11 days have passed since the launch of the unofficial Kylix
survey, which may be the last movements for Kylix, no
response/announcement for Kylix has given from Borland/DTG yet.
If U need crossplatform compiler take freepascal (if U cannot live without
pascal) , I've already ported lot of my code to C++, so I will (my company)
definitely abandon borland (forever) in next few months. Goodbye Borland,
goodbye Inprise, goodbye Borland ...
Actually, I have been porting my code to FreePascal/Lazarus and joined
Japanese locallization project. The existense of active FP/Lazarus
community is beneficial for Delphi users (even for Borland/DTG), because
we are getting a safety-net when the worst case happens. This is
appealing to newbies who worry about the future of Delphi.
Borland/DTG seems to be failing to create such an attractive and
competitive catch phrase and identity:
"Write once, compile everywhere!"
Unlike Kylix and VB6, FP/Lazarus will never die if you love it.
Haruyuki Fujimaki