Kylix for Mono or .NET???

2004-05-25 02:15:00 AM
kylix0
Hi,
I want to learn that there is a project for mono or not? if it is, when?
Regards..

Re:Kylix for Mono or .NET???

irfanMektebi schrieb:

I want to learn that there is a project for mono or not? if it is, when?

Regards..
There is D8 for .NET, which is Kylix compatible <g>.
There is no real need for "Kylix for Mono".
A compiler for a ".NET framework" creates CIL code that (theoretically)
is independent of the brand of the framework and the underlying OS. So
(if MONO is perfect and/or D8 and the custom project is done with MONO
in mind) Delphi 8 would create a CIL code assembly file that runs as
well on the Microsoft .NET framework in Windows as on MONO (or .GNU) on
Linux.
Of course it would be nice to have the Delphi/Kylix IDE running on
MONO/Linux, but it's not essential so Borland will not do that.
I suppose a future version of the Delphi IDE will be a .NET assembly
itself and run on .NET and (hopefully) MONO.
-Michael

Re:Kylix for Mono or .NET???

The are working on MonoDevelop which is a port #builder www.icsharpcode.com
Monodevelop looks promising, and if they add a GTK# forms designer it will
be very cool.
Tony

{smallsort}

Re:Kylix for Mono or .NET???

In my answer I assumed that you are talking about Kylix Delphi language.
If you are thinking about Kylix C++, there are much more obstacles, as
C++ is much less compatible with .NET (C#, CIL) than Delphi language. So
I suppose you will need to port your code from C++ to C# manually.
-Michael

Re:Kylix for Mono or .NET???

Thorpe on Mono....
homepages.borland.com/dthorpe/blog/delphi/2004_05_01_archive.php#
108564376673384753
--
Discover a lost art - play Marbles
May 2004

Re:Kylix for Mono or .NET???

SiegfriedN < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:<40b66498$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
Thorpe on Mono....>a comment from Danny Thorpe regarding Kylix in his blog..
..
'Kylix is included in the 3 year outlook. Nothing I can announce as yet.
Danny Thorpe , 27.05.2004, 12:02pm '
..

gr8! :)

It would be gr8, but I could not find it....
Where is it ?

Re:Kylix for Mono or .NET???

Phil Shrimpton wrote:
Thorpe on Mono....

homepages.borland.com/dthorpe/blog/delphi/2004_05_01_archive.php#
108564376673384753

a comment from Danny Thorpe regarding Kylix in his blog..
..
'Kylix is included in the 3 year outlook. Nothing I can announce as yet.
Danny Thorpe , 27.05.2004, 12:02pm '
..
gr8! :)
Siegs

Re:Kylix for Mono or .NET???

SiegfriedN wrote:
a comment from Danny Thorpe regarding Kylix in his blog..
..
'Kylix is included in the 3 year outlook. Nothing I can announce as yet.
Danny Thorpe , 27.05.2004, 12:02pm '
..
That does sound interesting. That "nothing in 2004" announcement at the
last Borcon is starting to sound like "something in 2005." :-)
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:Kylix for Mono or .NET???

Hi Siegs,
a comment from Danny Thorpe regarding Kylix in his blog..
..
'Kylix is included in the 3 year outlook. Nothing I can announce as yet.
Danny Thorpe , 27.05.2004, 12:02pm '
That sounds promising indeed. IBM also wants to give more focus on
Linux, and I've been asked to write more articles about Kylix and DB2,
which is the reason the last two (and next two) articles on
www.drbob42.com/IBM will be using Kylix 3...
Siegs
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) Borland Technology Partner
webmaster UK-BUG / DDG Developers Group - IntraWeb Authorized Trainer

Re:Kylix for Mono or .NET???

Bob Swart wrote:
Hi Siegs,

>a comment from Danny Thorpe regarding Kylix in his blog..
>..
>'Kylix is included in the 3 year outlook. Nothing I can announce as yet.
>Danny Thorpe , 27.05.2004, 12:02pm '

That sounds promising indeed. IBM also wants to give more focus on
Linux, and I've been asked to write more articles about Kylix and DB2,
which is the reason the last two (and next two) articles on
www.drbob42.com/IBM will be using Kylix 3...
that looks promising :)

Re:Kylix for Mono or .NET???

SiegfriedN wrote:
a comment from Danny Thorpe regarding Kylix in his blog..
..
'Kylix is included in the 3 year outlook. Nothing I can announce as
yet. Danny Thorpe , 27.05.2004, 12:02pm '
..
Nothing new. Same song.

Re:Kylix for Mono or .NET???

Bob Swart wrote:
That sounds promising indeed. IBM also wants to give more focus on
Linux, and I've been asked to write more articles about Kylix and DB2,
which is the reason the last two (and next two) articles on
www.drbob42.com/IBM will be using Kylix 3...
Hi Bob,
Just wondering what Linux distro and version you are using to run Kylix
3. I have been threatening to have a play with it for a while now, and
I might have some time available in the next week or so.
thanks,
JED
--
JED, QC - Win32 Client for Quality Central:
www.alphalink.com.au/~jed/QC/

Re:Kylix for Mono or .NET???

Hi JED,
Just wondering what Linux distro and version you are using to run Kylix 3.
I run Red Hat Linux on two machines with Kylix 3 on it. Red Hat Linux
version 6.x (in combination with InterBase 5.6) and Red Hat Linux
version 7.x (in combination with DB2 v8.1), in both cases also with
Apache as web server. The Red Hat 6.x machine actually started with
Kylix 1, so that machine also has some legacy stuff on it ;-)
I once tried Mandrake 8 but had problems (getting Mandrake to run on my
hardware, not Kylix related).
I'm not sure if Red Hat Linux 9 will work with Kylix 3 out-of-the-box.
Never tried, sorry.
JED
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com/Kylix)
--

Ender wrote:
>'Kylix is included in the 3 year outlook. Nothing I can announce as
>yet. Danny Thorpe , 27.05.2004, 12:02pm '

Nothing new. Same song.
Really, when did Borland say that they would continue Kylix development?
Last I heard Kylix was receiving no updates in 2004- which sounded as
if Kylix was on hold indefinitely. Now we have something on the radar.
I guess you mean that it doesn't change the present situation: Kylix
needs updates right now to work on some distros etc.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:Kylix for Mono or .NET???

Kevin schrieb:
Kylix needs updates right now to work on some distros etc.
No.
Just add: export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.21
to the startdelphi script.
Doesn't fix the other bugs however.
Don't know about the C++ version.
Martin