Re: 2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

2004-02-21 03:40:37 AM
kylix1
JQP wrote:
"Michael Schnell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>But in the future cost for necessary updates for MS products will be
>higher that that sum in a few years, while the migration cost is a
>one-time thing and upgrades are nearly free.

Upgrades are nearly free? How wonderfully naive<g>.

Upgrades are nearly free only if you ignore the time they'll spend
tweaking
and testing and solving Open Source compatibility issues. Munich has made
the decision to boldly go where almost noone has gone before. I seriously
doubt we have heard the last of this story.
Yes it costs money to test, just as it costs money to test
the Microsoft patches.
As for the "bodly go....", there are a number of companies
out there which consists of more than a few employees who
run open source just fine.
www.mailtrap.org.uk/

Re:Re: 2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

Trane Francks wrote:
On 02/20/04 18:18 +0900, Michael Schnell wrote:

>OTOH I did not at all recommend using Lindows. I only pointed out that
>there is free Linux DVD player software. Same should run on other Linux
>distributions as well.

Of course, one can use Xine easily for unencrypted DVDs. As soon
as you need a commercial license for decoding a DVD, you have the
choice of buying Lindows or using an illegal hack. I never did
get the plug-in to work well in Xine, so I continue to boot
Windows when I want to watch a DVD.

Oh, well. Patience. A DVD player *will* come, of that I'm sure.
What's wrong with mplayer (apart from the /possibility/ that you
may get /succefully/ sued)?
--

"Bob { Goddard }" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news:c15nrl$1dfkvj$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
As for the "bodly go....", there are a number of companies
out there which consists of more than a few employees who
run open source just fine.
Running the occasional piece of software is one thing, transitioning an
entire organization to rely solely upon it is quite different.

{smallsort}

JQP wrote:
"Bob { Goddard }" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news:c15nrl$1dfkvj$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>As for the "bodly go....", there are a number of companies
>out there which consists of more than a few employees who
>run open source just fine.

Running the occasional piece of software is one thing, transitioning an
entire organization to rely solely upon it is quite different.
And still you act like Comical Ali and spread FUD.
I /am/ talking about an entire organisation or a sector
moving over to open source and getting rid of their
Microsoft network.
www.mailtrap.org.uk/