will there be Kylix4?

2005-01-28 11:38:17 PM
kylix1
Could anybody tell me?

Re:will there be Kylix4?

We haven't heard yet. If you find out, please let us know. I don't think
anyone's heard much of anything from Borland regarding a Kylix4. For now
though, there are several other up-and-coming options that people are
looking at, among them Lazarus ( www.lazarus.freepascal.org/ ) ,
Chrome ( www.chromesville.com/ ), and Mono (
www.mono-project.com/about/index.html )
Sorry, no news yet on a Kylix4, and while many people here still would
support Kylix4, we haven't heard if Borland returns the sentiment.
Respectfully,
clint
wen wrote:
Could anybody tell me?

Re:will there be Kylix4?

Yes I can.
A sound NO!
Stand up, shake the dust, leave your (and mine) bad
decisions behind and move along looking back.
Ivan.
wen wrote:
Could anybody tell me?

{smallsort}

Re:will there be Kylix4?

I'm afraid that you're probably right that there will never be another
version of Kylix. For me using Kylix wasn't a bad decision, rather it was
the only feasible decision. I had a large code base in Delphi that I wanted
to get onto Linux. Using Kylix did that for me. Even now Kylix 3 is hands
down my best option for writing Linux applications and I suspect that it
will still be a couple of years from now also. The unfortunate thing is
that it now seems pointless to buy Delphi 2005 since any D2005 lanuage
extensions that I use won't be possible to compile on Kylix. From Delphi 2
through 7 I was always very quick to upgrade to the new version as soon as
it became available, but it seems that I have no reason to give Borland more
of my company's money. It seems to me that Borland must be hurting
themselves by not updating Kylix, I doubt that I am the only long-time user
of Delphi that has concluded that buying further upgrades to Delphi does not
make sense.

wen wrote:
>Could anybody tell me?

Re:will there be Kylix4?

CLX isn't included in Delphi2005 which would be another barrier to
using it for cross-platform applications.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Yes I can.
>
>A sound NO!
>
>Stand up, shake the dust, leave your (and mine) bad
>decisions behind and move along looking back.
>
>Ivan.
>
>wen wrote:
>>Could anybody tell me?

Re:will there be Kylix4?

Ivan Cruz wrote:
Yes I can.

A sound NO!
You don't know that for sure.
One thing is for sure though: Borland say that they're still committed
to developers on the Linux platform. I guess exactly what that means in
terms of future products isn't known; at least publicly.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:will there be Kylix4?

rbwinston wrote:
CLX isn't included in Delphi2005 which would be another barrier to
using it for cross-platform applications.
The CLX units are missing, but qtintf90.dll is still there, even if it is
just renamed from qtintf70.dll to qtintf71.dll (Delphi8) and now
qtintf90.dll.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:will there be Kylix4?

rbwinston wrote:
CLX isn't included in Delphi2005 which would be another barrier to
using it for cross-platform applications.

But I know that there are conditional defines in Delphi2005 source:
{$IFDEF LINUX} is in System.pas...
--
Best regards
Fikret Hasovic fikret.fbtalk.net

Re:will there be Kylix4?

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
The CLX units are missing, but qtintf90.dll is still there, even if
it is just renamed from qtintf70.dll to qtintf71.dll (Delphi8) and now
qtintf90.dll.
I guess some utility shipped with Delphi (the registration tool, IIRC)
needs it.
--
Leonel

Re:will there be Kylix4?

Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:
You don't know that for sure.

One thing is for sure though: Borland say that they're still committed
to developers on the Linux platform. I guess exactly what that means in
terms of future products isn't known; at least publicly.

Yes I know for sure, Sir. You know, I have that crystal ball...
No, I'm kidding, as a good brazilian I don't use crystal
balls. I read signs on "buzios" instead
(www.isabelmachado.com/mulheresdegaia/20021107.htm),
and the "buzios" say:
1. Borland abandoned their most promising open source
project: Interbase 6.
2. Delphi 8 was a .NET only release.
3. Delphi 2005 does not include CLX.
4. The lack of an official word or a clear road map is
not exactly encouraging.
We have seen Borland give many steps away from GNU/Linux
and FOSS. Can someone outline a single step by Borland in
the Linux/FOSS direction in the last two years? Just one,
please???
Moreover, the choice of a development environment is not
something cheap. Its a enormous investment in time,
effort and money. We simply can't afford chosing a tool
that may be useless in a few years.
Yes you are right, I don't know for sure, but (d'apres
that north vietnamese general) it's also irrelevant.
The level of uncertainty Borland put on Kylix is simply
high enough to frighten most customers, and, without
customers, no new release. So sad.
Ivan.

Re:will there be Kylix4?

Ivan Cruz wrote:
Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:
>You don't know that for sure.
>
>One thing is for sure though: Borland say that they're still committed
>to developers on the Linux platform. I guess exactly what that means in
>terms of future products isn't known; at least publicly.
[snip]
Yes you are right, I don't know for sure, but (d'apres
that north vietnamese general) it's also irrelevant.
The level of uncertainty Borland put on Kylix is simply
high enough to frighten most customers, and, without
customers, no new release. So sad.
I talked today to a distributor in Austria (also active selling Borland's
products in Germany). He (I know his name) told me, that Kylix isn't sold
anymore by them because Borland discontinued Kylix!
Further he told me that there is no official upgrade path from Kylix 3
Enterprise to Delphi 2005 Architect.
So, Dave, how is this "committed to developers on the Linux platform?"
Yes, this was <<only>>a distributor... but Borland told me to buy their
products from this distributor. If the distributor isn't selling Kylix
anymore -- who is?
So, Ivan, it seams to me there is no level of uncertainty at Borland at all.
Really , really sad.
Eugen

Re:will there be Kylix4?

Eugen Neuber wrote:
..
I talked today to a distributor in Austria (also active selling Borland's
products in Germany). He (I know his name) told me, that Kylix isn't sold
anymore by them because Borland discontinued Kylix!

Further he told me that there is no official upgrade path from Kylix 3
Enterprise to Delphi 2005 Architect.

So, Dave, how is this "committed to developers on the Linux platform?"
Yes, this was <<only>>a distributor... but Borland told me to buy their
products from this distributor. If the distributor isn't selling Kylix
anymore -- who is?

So, Ivan, it seams to me there is no level of uncertainty at Borland at all.
Really , really sad.
Servus Eugen!
I just spoke to a sales rep from Borland UK and according to them
Borland is still commited to Kylix and Linux (basically status quo as we
know it), so there is obviously a problem with the Borland staff in
Germany and Austria who are spreading viscious inacurate roumers.
Perhaps they are confused regarding Borland's general policy to stop
supporting their products older than 2 years?
So good news! I guess :)
Still sad though in other respects :(
Siegs

Re:will there be Kylix4?

Eugen Neuber wrote:
I talked today to a distributor in Austria (also active selling
Borland's products in Germany). He (I know his name) told me, that
Kylix isn't sold anymore by them because Borland discontinued Kylix!
You might like to forward his name on to someone like John Kaster,
because there has been no official word on whether Kylix has been
discontinued or not.
Further he told me that there is no official upgrade path from Kylix 3
Enterprise to Delphi 2005 Architect.
I expect that is true. Upgrades are usually between versions of the
same product.
So, Dave, how is this "committed to developers on the Linux platform?"
Upgrading to a Windows development tool is hardly developing on Linux
now, is it?
Yes, this was <<only>>a distributor... but Borland told me to buy
their products from this distributor. If the distributor isn't
selling Kylix anymore -- who is?
Borland in the US are still selling it. As to which other distributors,
I don't know.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:will there be Kylix4?

Ivan Cruz wrote:
1. Borland abandoned their most promising open source
project: Interbase 6.
That's plain false. Borland continue to produce and support InterBase
2. Delphi 8 was a .NET only release.
..and?
3. Delphi 2005 does not include CLX.
I don't exactly know why that was.
4. The lack of an official word or a clear road map is
not exactly encouraging.
I agree.
We have seen Borland give many steps away from GNU/Linux
and FOSS. Can someone outline a single step by Borland in
the Linux/FOSS direction in the last two years? Just one,
please???
FreeCLX?
Moreover, the choice of a development environment is not
something cheap. Its a enormous investment in time,
effort and money. We simply can't afford chosing a tool
that may be useless in a few years.
I expect not many can.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:will there be Kylix4?

Hallo Siegfried,
SiegfriedN wrote:
Servus Eugen!

I just spoke to a sales rep from Borland UK and according to them
Borland is still commited to Kylix and Linux (basically status quo as we
know it), so there is obviously a problem with the Borland staff in
Germany and Austria who are spreading viscious inacurate roumers.
Perhaps they are confused regarding Borland's general policy to stop
supporting their products older than 2 years?
I'm confused. They (Borland Germany) seemed to know what they say at the
Borland-Roadshow in Vienna on 1st Feb... But maybe it's only marketing what
they show up at the stage.
Is Kylix still for sale in UK?
So good news! I guess :)
Yes. Kylix live long and prosper!
It is sad that I hope now that Borland Germany gets corrected from Borland
Head Quater.