Re: Our IDE?!

2005-05-28 10:57:35 PM
kylix1
Does Lazarus allow us to develop CLX applications? No, it doesn't.
correct, but LCL runs on Win32 and Linux and ...

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

siegfriedn wrote:
1. [...] An open Plug-in infrastructure for IDE modules also framework
newtral i.e.
allowing for LCL or CLX components etc..
I don't think that supporting LCL would be a good idea. For LCL there is
Lazarus. If this IDE would support LCL then the wheel will be reinvented.
2. Source Code standards specification
A very good idea.
6. License
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

Max wrote:
correct, but LCL runs on Win32 and Linux and ...
CLX runs on Windows, too. And there is no migration from a CLX to a LCL
application necessary. You must image the amount of existing CLX
applications.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

Well, if Free Pascal can, then Lazarus can..
I just saw on the Free Pascal wiki that most of the clx units compile
with FP.
www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Building_the_CLX_with_FPC
Andreas Hausladen wrote:
tony wrote:

>I am sure they could use your help, why not help out with that project?

Does Lazarus allow us to develop CLX applications? No, it doesn't.

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

Why don't you like Lazarus?
I have been playing around with it, and it is pretty impressive.
I remember trying it a couple of years ago and it really sucked, but the
latest versions are actually usable.I also installed it on Linux and it
worked very well.
If people want a Delphi like IDE that runs on Linux and windows then
Lazarus can fit the bill.
Lazarus is open source and if energies could be spent to make FPC more
delphi compatible and improve the Lazarus IDE we could have something
really special.
Andreas Hausladen wrote:
The only problem is that some of us do not like Lazarus. And lots of
companies do not want to migrate from CLX to LCL because this would mean
to spend time and money.

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

Maybe you could use this as a reference or something:
www.{*word*76}shed.net/devpascal.html
it uses FPC as the compiler and synedit for the editor.

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

tony wrote:
Well, if Free Pascal can, then Lazarus can..
I just saw on the Free Pascal wiki that most of the clx units compile
with FP.
www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Building_the_CLX_with_FPC
This only works if you remove all {$R *.res} lines.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

tony wrote:
Why don't you like Lazarus?
I never said that I do not like Lazarus. It is simply useless for me at
the moment because it does not compile my CLX applications without
migrating them for what I do not have the time.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

On 2005-05-28, Andreas Hausladen < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
tony wrote:

>Well, if Free Pascal can, then Lazarus can..
>I just saw on the Free Pascal wiki that most of the clx units compile
>with FP.
>www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Building_the_CLX_with_FPC

This only works if you remove all {$R *.res} lines.
You know this is in the works. It's a lot easier fixable than an own lazarus.

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

This only works if you remove all {$R *.res} lines.
{$IFNDEF FPC}
{$R *.res}
{$ENDIF}
:-))

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

On 2005-05-28, Andreas Hausladen < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
tony wrote:

>Why don't you like Lazarus?

I never said that I do not like Lazarus. It is simply useless for me at
the moment because it does not compile my CLX applications without
migrating them for what I do not have the time.
True, that's why the pragmatic course that Simon takes is IMHO so good. Try
to help FPC grown, but CrossKylix for short term.
If Borland comes out with K4, the time spent on FPC is relatively minor to
nearly any major new IDE kind of endeavour, and still benefits a community,
instead of landing on some dead-wood shelf.
And even if a K4 emerges, FPC will be around if there turns out to be no K5 too.
Admitted, then the remaining in-use-apps will be at least decimated, but
there still will be ones.

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

tony wrote:
Well, if Free Pascal can, then Lazarus can..
I just saw on the Free Pascal wiki that most of the clx units compile
with FP.
www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Building_the_CLX_with_FPC
We have a large codebase developed with Kylix/CLX
and recently compiled it with FPC.
Till the FPC developers add xfm resource support
to the executable, we automatically converted the xfm files
to lazarus like resources.
This works fine enough for us. i.e. we did not notice a performance
penalty at all.
Some of our apps have a lot of dialogs and started as fast as
if compiled with Kylix.
The applications we converted are electronic strip handling
Air Traffic Control applications we converted from ADA/Os2
to Kylix/Linux (and now to FPC :-)
A screenshot of the app is here (the one on the right):
www.belgocontrol.be/images/Projects/projecttower2.jpg
We do not use everything of CLX, so we did not need to fix
CLX completely for our apps to get compiled and work with FPC.
So no Database stuff (we have are own real-time database).
The changes we applied to CLX are here:
sourceforge.net/projects/qtforfpc/
The changes will be reported to the FPC team and
they will enhance the FPC RTL to lower the changes needed.
Everyone is welcome to test remainder of CLX and
send patches for that sourceforge project.
kind regards,
Den Jean

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

Marco van de Voort wrote:
It's a lot easier fixable than an own lazarus.
The question is what is faster: adding $R and package support, or write a
new IDE based on CLX which could also use FPC for compilation.
For an IDE I could supply a base concept (if the IDE would be under
MPL1.1) andy.jgknet.de/misc/TBscreen.png This application allows me
to plug in multiple compilers (at the moment gcc166, avr-gcc and bcc32)
and a remote control program for a robots. And if I would remove or
replace the docking component it would compile unter Linux where the final
version should work, too.
There is no visual editor because for robots they are useless, but it
would be easily plug into this IDE.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

Sorry, must have been a miscommunication.
The way you worded it implied that you also do not like it.
"The only problem is that some of us do not like Lazarus."
some of us usually includes yourself.
Later,
Tony
Andreas Hausladen wrote:
tony wrote:

>Why don't you like Lazarus?

I never said that I do not like Lazarus. It is simply useless for me at
the moment because it does not compile my CLX applications without
migrating them for what I do not have the time.

Re:Re: Our IDE?!

Wow, that's pretty cool. Keep up the good work.