Kylix for In-Flight Entertainment Systems?

2004-08-03 11:36:26 PM
kylix0
When I was flying back from South Africa recently I noticed that the
South African Airways' Airbus A340-600 was equipped with in-flight
personal entertainment systems that were running Linux (the penguin was
prominently displayed even on the main monitors that everyone could see
and when you switched the video to channel 1). They have around +/- 350
seats so that would mean 350 copies of Linux running (although they may
have been sharing one 486 CPU between two "terminals" by the looks of
things - I read some of the console messages to see that they were using
a 486 CPU). This is a perfect example of where Linux makes sense over
Windows.
I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about these systems? I
wonder if they're using Kylix to develop on them.... :-) My guess is
that they probably aren't but it would be interesting to have some more
info. on this.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:Kylix for In-Flight Entertainment Systems?

"Kevin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
[...]

I remember WAY back, when Intel introduced a new processor called the '386,
one of the demos was using some sort of 'nix and letting 100+ users run some
spreadsheet
program from a single '386 pc.
So maybe it was 1 copy of linux?
Mike

Mike Mormando wrote:
I remember WAY back, when Intel introduced a new processor called the '386,
one of the demos was using some sort of 'nix and letting 100+ users run some
spreadsheet
program from a single '386 pc.
So maybe it was 1 copy of linux?
Mike
Definitely not because you're basically talking about streaming
interactive video (fast forward, rewind etc.). That's pretty CPU
intensive. For 4 seats you could see 2 metal boxes under those seats-
so I'm sure it was 1 machine serving 2 displays at the most.
Cheers,
Kevin.

{smallsort}